Ceramic wax

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by gofast182
I have been doing a lot of research on cermamics since they were introduced and most people who have used them are saying they last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. The whole premise of ceramics was that they last longer. I'm not seeing where they are. Other than being easier and taking less time to apply, I see no benefit using them instead of traditional waxes/sealants. I get 6 months worth of protection using Collinite 845...I think ceramaics are more hype than anything...

I would expect this reply from you. Things from Meguiar's, Mothers, etc, particularly ceramic sprays or other other products that say 'Si02 infused' will only last that long. "Real" *coatings* from CarPro, Gyeon, etc. will certainly last 1, 2, or more years if they're taken care of with good wash practices. Coatings will offer superior behavior with sun/heat and self-cleaning properties.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but people aren't posting results from the real ceramics. I agree, the ones you mentioned are superior to regular waxes/sealants, but they require a professional to apply them, and are far more expensive than the off-the-shelf products. If we're comparing apples to apples (off the shelf ceramics compared to off the shelf waxes/sealants), I see little to no benefit in using ceramics...

Off-the-shelf to off-the-shelf I tend to agree with you. But I just posted results with a real ceramic in my M340i CQuartz/Gliss thread, I installed it myself and I'm not a professional.

Last edited:
I have been doing a lot of research on cermamics since they were introduced and most people who have used them are saying they last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. The whole premise of ceramics was that they last longer. I'm not seeing where they are. Other than being easier and taking less time to apply, I see no benefit using them instead of traditional waxes/sealants. I get 6 months worth of protection using Collinite 845...I think ceramaics are more hype than anything...

I would expect this reply from you. Things from Meguiar's, Mothers, etc, particularly ceramic sprays or other other products that say 'Si02 infused' will only last that long. "Real" *coatings* from CarPro, Gyeon, etc. will certainly last 1, 2, or more years if they're taken care of with good wash practices. Coatings will offer superior behavior with sun/heat and self-cleaning properties.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but people aren't posting results from the real ceramics. I agree, the ones you mentioned are superior to regular waxes/sealants, but they require a professional to apply them, and are far more expensive than the off-the-shelf products. If we're comparing apples to apples (off the shelf ceramics compared to off the shelf waxes/sealants), I see little to no benefit in using ceramics...

Off-the-shelf to off-the-shelf I tend to agree with you. But I just posted results with a real ceramic in my M340i CQuartz/Gliss thread, I installed it myself and I'm not a professional.

But you didn't mention that the professional ceramics require a lot more prep work and care when applying as compared to the off-the-shelf stuff...most people don't have the know-how or the will to use it...they want something they can spray on and wipe off...

All products, whether a high end ceramic coating or a simple wax will give the best results when the attention is paid to the prep work beforehand.

Originally Posted by PimTac
All products, whether a high end ceramic coating or a simple wax will give the best results when the attention is paid to the prep work beforehand.

ABSOLUTELY!

I posted a few times in the past about my experience with Opti-coat Pro.
Professional applied. Applied in summer of 2014. Still on vehicle. I only use touchless tunnel washes. Vehicle has no spider scratches at all. At the time it was applied the warranty was for lifetime. IDK if it will actually last the lifetime of vehicle, but it shines great, repels water great, clean up easily. I have never hand applied any wax etc to vehicle.
Yes it was expensive. I have not had it applied to my 2 other vehicles that be bought new since. One is my truck and it got scratches shortly after I bought it, and the other is a Jeep Wrangler that gets used as a Jeep Wrangler should.
But if I bought a new vehicle that I wanted to keep looking as best I can, I absolutely would pay for it again.

+1....
That turtle wax hybrid looks amazing and is very easy to work with.

Get ALL waxes off before applying a true ceramic. Otherwise you will have bonding issues and not a true ceramic coating on your car.
It will be a waste of your time.

Originally Posted by walterjay
For best results, ceramic first and then wax.

Once you use an off the shelf ceramic wax then use a wax on top of it wouldnt that prevent you from giving a second coat of ceramic wax later on. Since off the shelf ceramics arent lifetime wouldnt it make more sense to just stick with ceramics once you have started with them????

Originally Posted by raaizin
Originally Posted by walterjay
For best results, ceramic first and then wax.

Once you use an off the shelf ceramic wax then use a wax on top of it wouldnt that prevent you from giving a second coat of ceramic wax later on. Since off the shelf ceramics arent lifetime wouldnt it make more sense to just stick with ceramics once you have started with them????

It depends. If you're talking about a true ceramic coating, you wouldn't re-coat over a wax layer. Things like "ceramic wax" are not coatings, they're **SiO2-infused** products that you could mix and match because they're not bonded to the finish like a real coating is.

I applied Black Diamond ceramic coating to my 08 MB after prepping it per instructions. This was over a year ago and it still shines and beads like crazy. It is a professional product and was not easy to apply evenly on the hood of a dark color. I don't think these "easy to use" hybrid ceramic products are the real deal. Of course they will provide a great shine but just won't last. Right now it is difficult to determine what is the real deal. Quite a few pro detailers have not gone to ceramic because of the mixed reviews.

I'm not convinced that waxes/sealants can be layered, especially if it's a different brand or type of wax/sealant...the final product probably just removes the product that was previously applied, however, I see no way of proving, or disproving either theory...

But you didn't mention that the professional ceramics require a lot more prep work and care when applying as compared to the off-the-shelf stuff...most people don't have the know-how or the will to use it...they want something they can spray on and wipe off...

The price is higher but you are receiving a higher level of performance. The DIY CQuartz UK kits are relatively inexpensive (under $50) and you can do two cars with one if you work carefully. Applying a ceramic coating is not much more difficult than applying a sealant.

(Photo of a ceramic coating applied and ready for wipe-off)

775A8BD6-AE9A-47C5-88A3-B277FFC7EC7E.jpeg

I'm not convinced that waxes/sealants can be layered, especially if it's a different brand or type of wax/sealant...the final product probably just removes the product that was previously applied, however, I see no way of proving, or disproving either theory...

Zaino Bros has a sealant that you must buy their catalyst if you want to apply more than one coat. You exactly mix it with a small portion of the sealant for the second coat. You have a limited time to use it. I've used it and it really works. Other wise I agree with you.
The more coats you apply, the longer it lasts. It was still good when I went to a ceramic coating.

I would recommend anyone strip all waxes off before applying any wax slash ceramic anything. Break out the Purple Power high ph car wash and scrub away.

slomo

Originally Posted by slomo
I would recommend anyone strip all waxes off before applying any wax slash ceramic anything. Break out the Purple Power high ph car wash and scrub away.

slomo

Why do that to your paint? A normal car wash shampoo and your favorite method of clay baring should remove any surface contamination including wax... with the additional benefit of removing stuff the degreaser might not dissolve.

I'm glad you posted your comments regarding ceramic coatings vs. waxing. I've been debating for several months to apply or have someone apply a ceramic coating to my Challenger. However, after reading several sites regarding ceramic coatings, I am believing they are not worth the money and that a good detailing, including a clay bar cleaning followed by a superior wax or even a spray ceramic like TW, does just as good.

Originally Posted by LTZ10

I'm glad you posted your comments regarding ceramic coatings vs. waxing. I've been debating for several months to apply or have someone apply a ceramic coating to my Challenger. However, after reading several sites regarding ceramic coatings, I am believing they are not worth the money and that a good detailing, including a clay bar cleaning followed by a superior wax or even a spray ceramic like TW, does just as good.

I did a little experimenting myself with Ceramic wax. Namely speaking, the spray on wash off product MEGUIAR'S G190532SP Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I'm not impressed. It's fast, you use a lot of product and in about 3 months on a properly prepped surface it's done. I have one more to try, and if that flops I"ll go back to Jescar Power Lock, which easily lasted twice as long for me. Well worth the extra time, and lower cost., since little to no product is wasted.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by LTZ10

I did a little experimenting myself with Ceramic wax. Namely speaking, the spray on wash off product MEGUIAR'S G190532SP Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I'm not impressed. It's fast, you use a lot of product and in about 3 months on a properly prepped surface it's done. I have one more to try, and if that flops I"ll go back to Jescar Power Lock, which easily lasted twice as long for me. Well worth the extra time, and lower cost., since little to no product is wasted.

I used to be a fan of Jescar Power Lock. That has been my go to sealant liquid form. However, I do recommend you try out the Turtle Wax Seal N Shine. You should do I comparison on half of the hood. You will see the Seal N Shine is easier to apply and remove, and durability is not bad compared to the Jescar Power Lock.

Back