Ceramic Brake Recommendation/Preference?

They don't grip hard, but they last a long time. For a daily driver I'd get akky-bonos, because they can still lock up tires so your peak braking is the same, they just don't bite hard when you first touch the pedal. For a track car get something else but for your average town cruiser most people probably won't care even if they do notice the difference.
I tried them. Astonishing junk.

The Centric Posi's on our Atlas have great bite, were about $65 I think off RA, and probably will last longer than we'll have it.

The Duralast Gold or Elite line of ceramics have proven to be a good option for my customers. I have installed A LOT of them. My AZ rep tells me they are made by Bosch.

A buddy of mine is looking to change to ceramic brakes on a 2018 VW Jetta. We were talking at a bar last night when he mentioned it to me, so I thought I would get on here and ask if anyone has a preference as to what brand of ceramic brakes they use, or could make a recommendation as to what brand(s) he should look at. He mentioned that his brother suggested Bosch, but that he has read some bad reviews of their ceramic brakes when paired with VW vehicles.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Blue stuff red stuff. Aren't those ceramic?

I used the Raybestos Element 3 pads and rotors with 100% satisfaction until I used them on a 2015 Honda Odyssey. They developed a pulsation in about 3 months. Had the rotors surfaced; later another 2 or 3 months.

They've been good on small sedans, but I won't use them anymore.

All of the brakes I’ve done in the last 4 years got raybestos Element3 pads. However, I had to redo both of the most recent installs due to squeaks and squeals. Whether it was a pad slap or new rotors, they both squealed badly. The fix has been to rough up both sides of all rotors with a belt sander while spinning the rotor. The stopping power and pedal feel are top notch, but these at least required every trick in my book (yes, all contact surfaces were greased, anti-squeal goop applied, etc.).

Agree with deposits and pulsation tendencies, and general “appliance feel” for akebono brakes, while also having high quality parts, materials and kits. Certainly not bad for a DD.

All of the brakes I’ve done in the last 4 years got raybestos Element3 pads. However, I had to redo both of the most recent installs due to squeaks and squeals. Whether it was a pad slap or new rotors, they both squealed badly. The fix has been to rough up both sides of all rotors with a belt sander while spinning the rotor. The stopping power and pedal feel are top notch, but these at least required every trick in my book (yes, all contact surfaces were greased, anti-squeal goop applied, etc.).

Agree with deposits and pulsation tendencies, and general “appliance feel” for akebono brakes, while also having high quality parts, materials and kits. Certainly not bad for a DD.
Raybestos has been First Branded, likewise with Centric.

For a while, the Centric Fleet Performance 306 pads were an excellent upgrade pad for trucks for a good price. Made in Taiwan. Now they have been reformulated & consolidated with other Centric part numbers and made in India. Not the same good pads as previous. I have little doubt this applies to some formerly good Raybestos pads as well.

Bosch QuietCast or Dynamic Friction may be the “go to” aftermarket pads now.

For a while, the Centric Fleet Performance 306 pads were an excellent upgrade pad for trucks for a good price. Made in Taiwan. Now they have been reformulated & consolidated with other Centric part numbers and made in India. Not the same good pads as previous. I have little doubt this applies to some formerly good Raybestos pads as well.

I used to be very satisfied with Raybestos and actually used Element 3's on all my brake jobs. Then a year or 2 ago I started to have fitment issues and one set of pads on my personal vehicle actually delaminated and cracked. From that point on I stopped using them. I did not know they were bought out - that explains it.

I used to be very satisfied with Raybestos and actually used Element 3's on all my brake jobs. Then a year or 2 ago I started to have fitment issues and one set of pads on my personal vehicle actually delaminated and cracked. From that point on I stopped using them. I did not know they were bought out - that explains it.
It caused me to re-examine the pads I use if someone doesn’t want to pay the cost of OE pads.

The Bosch QuietCast are typically made in Mexico by Bosch - not a third party contracted by Bosch. Same with the lower tier Bosch Blue pads.

Seem ok based on the limited number installed so far, although time will tell.

AHA. that explains it. GMBoy for the win here. Thank you.

It caused me to re-examine the pads I use if someone doesn’t want to pay the cost of OE pads.

The Bosch QuietCast are typically made in Mexico by Bosch - not a third party contracted by Bosch. Same with the lower tier Bosch Blue pads.

Seem ok based on the limited number installed so far, although time will tell.
I think you will find those pads are fine. I was told by my Autozone commercial regional mgr that the Duralast Golds are Bosch made. I have been using them with good results so far for the last year+.

Another vote for Duralast Gold Ceramic. I've had no complaints using them but as important is the lifetime warranty which includes wear. Free brakes (pads at least) for life.

If you're track racing or hauling loads down long mountain roads, then I would pick something else, but for a Jetta, yeah that would be my first pick unless he plans to sell it before it goes through another set of pads.

I would put dynamic friction at average at best. I had to go their rear rotors for my brake upgrade as only decently prices option, and finish is far from my regular go to brands. I used once their track pads in the back, and fit as well as performance was really bad. They didn’t sit well in calipers, I managed to lit them on fire, literally etc. I would go DFC only in absence of anything else that is decent.

I would put dynamic friction at average at best. I had to go their rear rotors for my brake upgrade as only decently prices option, and finish is far from my regular go to brands. I used once their track pads in the back, and fit as well as performance was really bad. They didn’t sit well in calipers, I managed to lit them on fire, literally etc. I would go DFC only in absence of anything else that is decent.
That's good to know, thanks. I have yet to use DFC, just hopeful that they were as decent as original Centric.

On European cars, my preference is Textar, ATE, Pagid, etc. They are excellent. But many of those options aren't available for Chevy, Honda, and Toyota here.

That's good to know, thanks. I have yet to use DFC, just hopeful that they were as decent as original Centric.

On European cars, my preference is Textar, ATE, Pagid, etc. They are excellent. But many of those options aren't available for Chevy, Honda, and Toyota here.
Yeah, those options are not available on Japanese. Though I did find Pagid for Sienna, and they performed much better than OE.

Back