2019 Ram Brakes

2019 Ram 1500 Classic (DS Body), 5.7L, 4WD

I think I'm going to be needing brakes in the next 10-15,000 miles. Need to monitor more, I'll be pulling a front tire off this weekend since it's filter change time.

I saw something about ceramic pads not being the best for a truck. On past vehicles I've had good luck with Duralast Gold Ceramic. Since I've never bought brakes for a truck, figured I'd ask for suggestions.

While for the most part, my truck lives the highway life, I still want it to be a truck when needed. Hauling junk, pull the occasional light trailer (yard work/equipment). No plans on pulling several thousand pounds, but in the end, the truck is rated for around 8800lbs, so if needed, I'd want to be able to pull and stop the 8800lbs. Much more likely to have a bed full of stuff vs pulling a trailer.

Typical requirements, lower dust (no dust isn't necessary), quiet, stops the truck. Not trying to pinch pennies. I do not have a brand preference, I want good brakes that last.

I've seen decent reviews of Raybestos Element3, Napa's Adaptive One, Wagner OEx.

AutoZone has their standard Gold Ceramics and then some Copper Free Ceramics, if ceramics are appropriate, and a severe duty semi-metallic.

Any reason that you aren't considering OE pads?

The Adaptive One pads are pretty expensive now. They used to be a decent pad, but I haven't used them in a while.

One aftermarket pad that I like on trucks is the Centric Fleet Performance. They have good stopping power but a bit more dust. I am unsure if the formulation has changed since the ownership change at Centric.

Any reason that you aren't considering OE pads?

The Adaptive One pads are pretty expensive now. They used to be a decent pad, but I haven't used them in a while.

One aftermarket pad that I like on trucks is the Centric Fleet Performance. They have good stopping power but a bit more dust. I am unsure if the formulation has changed since the ownership change at Centric.

OE is an option for sure. Not opposed to that. Currently at 60k, so they've done their job, especially if I end up with 70 or 75k out of them in the end. I'm not usually a go to the dealer kind of person.

The Adaptive One pad/rotor combo is about $600 for my application, definitely not cheap, but if they're worth it, then they're worth it.

I'll definitely check out the Centric Fleet.

Any preferred rotor brands?

So I definitely would not buy the Napa Adaptive One rotors. They are just rebadged Raybestos rotors for a big cost premium.

The Adaptive One pads may still be unique offering, but I haven't used any lately. A few years ago, they were a decent aftermarket option, but the primary benefit was a little cost savings from OE. That may not be the case anymore.

Raybestos rotors are usually fine. I prefer the coated version. Dealer rotors may be ok in your application as well, but I have no idea about cost or quality of Dodge rotors. If they are Chinese and have a cost premium, I would probably stick with Raybestos or Centric rotors. Or any of the parts store rotors, so long as they are price competitive with Rockauto.

Looking at store.mopar.com

Rotors: ~$150/each
Front Pads: $106
Rear Pads: $78 and backordered

I haven’t heard of ceramic not being good on trucks but maybe someone that’s worked on more trucks can chime in. I’ve put ceramic on trucks without issue before. I don’t know of any manufacturer that doesn’t use ceramic pads now that’s for everything. I have also had good luck with Duralast Gold pads. Brake pads aren’t something that you need to buy OEM in my opinion but you need good ones not the cheapest ones and make sure they have new hardware. I’ve used all the parts store pads and rotors with excellent luck. Usually I’ll get the Gold or Platinum line. I also like Raybestos pretty well. I normally get 50-65k on a set of parts store pads about what OEM last from what I’ve seen. Here lately at work since we don’t stock a lot of brake pads and a lot are on back order we have been using Carquest Wearever Gold and Platinum pads and rotors on just about everything and haven’t had any comebacks or difficulties with them.

Looking at store.mopar.com

Rotors: ~$150/each
Front Pads: $106
Rear Pads: $78 and backordered
Yeah, that $150 for each rotor wouldn't be happening with me. That's a little much, unless the Mopar rotors are just known to be far and above the aftermarket options.

F165 on youtube found the Bosch QuietCast pads to be the next best thing to OE Ford pads for his F150. He tested several brands to see if one could be better than the expensive dealer pads. I think he greatly disliked the Wagner OEX pads. That is just one data point, and it may be clickbait.

Good luck.

My 08 grand Cherokee, I’m pretty sure was spec’ed with akebono ceramic, and when I replaced whatever it was with akebono ceramic, it braked exactly the same. I mildly ‘wheeled the thing and did some light towing with it. The oem engineers got it right and the combination was great. Also, the ceramics are light on dusting and it stayed clean.

if your truck came with factory ceramics, I wouldn’t hesitate to stay with them - I simply don’t hear complaints of brakes on rams.

element3/eht I believe is a mild metallic. They don’t have much of a cold weather penalty like most semi-metallics, but they do dust a hair more than ceramics. It’s a gray dust, not ruddy brown. They do have more bite than ceramics. On my f150, they are superb. On the Lexus, they bit perhaps a little too much and I have a hard time keeping enough pad bedding because I don’t really have to press into the pedal much at all with them.

for the dodge, I’ll bet you can go either and be happy. ill bet you’d be happy with a quality ceramic, for oem feel. If you don’t mind mild dusting, you’ll probably be very pleased with the element3.

I put Raybestos Element3's all the way around on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic pretty early in it's life IIRC. I had plenty of factory pad thickness left, but had a ton of pulsation from the rotors and all the metal/metal contact points needed a thorough clean/re-grease and the parking brake cams needed to be cleaned/re-greased.

My brother had that Ram 1500 classic situation happen on his 2019, where rust had jacked the pad right off the backing plate on one of his rears. He had heard a noise the day before and the next day, the friction material was laying in his driveway.

Mopar is an option like others said

Akebono ASP (listed in the red section on Rock Auto)
Wagner OEX
Raybestos EHT

Outside Rock Auto:
Hawk LTS
EBC Ultimax2/Blackstuff

Rotors:
Mopar OE
Powerstop Geomet Coated

You definitely want coated rotors

Back