Ceramic Brake Recommendation/Preference?

Vehicles with the same tires?

Do you have a link?
You can search it. You have Auto, Motor und Sport, Auto Bild etc. among few that do comparison tests.
Also, take into consideration for this discussion that ceramic brakes don’t have good reaction time. While that might in theory look irrelevant, take into consideration that at 80mph you are covering 117.3ft per second.

You can search it. You have Auto, Motor und Sport, Auto Bild etc. among few that do comparison tests.
Also, take into consideration for this discussion that ceramic brakes don’t have good reaction time. While that might in theory look irrelevant, take into consideration that at 80mph you are covering 117.3ft per second.

In there 50-0 abs test the grabby brake pads did worse because the wheels locked up faster than the abs could respond. The difference is 3.5 feet between the "best" and "worst" pads.
Best being the ones with most bite.

You can still instantly activate abs with cold akebonos, you just have to push hard enough.

In there 50-0 abs test the grabby brake pads did worse because the wheels locked up faster than the abs could respond. The difference is 3.5 feet between the "best" and "worst" pads.
Best being the ones with most bite.

You can still instantly activate abs with cold akebonos, you just have to push hard enough.
This is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, problems when it comes to achieving the best braking performance. Manufacturers are trying to resolve that with various electric systems, starting with Mercedes 25yrs ago and BAS system.

This is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, problems when it comes to achieving the best braking performance. Manufacturers are trying to resolve that with various electric systems, starting with Mercedes 25yrs ago and BAS system.
Fair enough. I've just gotten used to absolutely mashing the brake pedal if I want to stop fast.

Mercedes BAS is annoying sometimes. Just because I'm going slow doesn't mean you have to reduce the amount of brake boost

I have OE Toyota “warranty” pads on the Prius as not to molest the factory rotors on a lathe. The parent’s van has updated Toyota “service” pads on it(Japanese Advics) after the first gen TCMCs made noise(US-made Akebono). Slapped on Centric 105s on a Matrix. Used Akebono and Bosch on a friend’s Subaru and recently, DFC 5000 series on a Fit and Genesis G80.

So far, so good except for the clunk on the Matrix. I did warn the Fit owner that aftermarket pads may be a bit noisy or clink. Neighbors have BrakeBest Select on their RAV4 from the previous owner, except for noise and being a touch too grabby they’re working better than I thought. I’m going to slap on Advics rotors and either Akebono ProACT or Toyota TCMC pads on it.

Fair enough. I've just gotten used to absolutely mashing the brake pedal if I want to stop fast.

Mercedes BAS is annoying sometimes. Just because I'm going slow doesn't mean you have to reduce the amount of brake boost
I just don't find the argument about noise on semi-metallic brakes valid. I have on Tiguan ATE pads which are most aggressive of all I had, and absolutely zero noise. On BMW I have Jurid in front and Textar in the back, same. Atlas has very aggressive OE pads (ZF) and no noise.
Now, some manufacturers do put pads that have more metallic content, and there have been reports of noise, but usually, especially on European cars, there is always an aftermarket solution from some OEM brake manufacturer.
SO, it comes down to dust, which I am willing to trade for performance. I have ceramic pads on Honda, and everytime I drive that cars I get reminder why I don't have it on other vehicles.

I’m a week into Bosch quiet cast pads on my VW Atlas.

Still silent, and braking performance is same/same in everyday traffic situations when compared to the unbearably noisy OE semi-metallic pads.

The Centric premium rotors looked to be high quality with good coating on the hub and vanes.

I’ve also had good result with Powerstop pads and rotors on my Toyota.

Back