Ceramic brake pad suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Sebring convertible is in for some rotors and pads. Anyone have favorite ceramic pads?

I am looking for good performance and low dust.

What about the Duralast Gold Cmax pads?

I have used the Cmax pads for years now, on my Bonnevilles, and my corolla. They are super quiet and low dust, even after they've been worn down quite a bit.

They are HARD on rotors though, especially if your car is underbraked like my Pontiacs. the Duralast 2 year rotors get grooved up pretty badly on those cars within a year. On the Corolla however, the rotors seemed only slightly worse for the wear after 3 years. So not sure what the braking is like on your car, but something to consider for sure. Ceramic pads in general are tougher on rotors than semi-metallic anyways, regardless of brand.

but seriously, I cannot get a squeak out of these pads if I try.

The Akebono ProAct pads are highly regarded and are made in the US.

The Bendix CT-3 are another pad with good reviews. They are made in the USA or Canada, from what I've seen.

I have the CT-3 on my Sonata. I accidentally glazed them during break in. But, after getting that sorted out, I've been really happy with them.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...394#Post2238394

Last edited:
I've had the cmax on my toyota for a couple years now. they are fine, but not exceptional. I put Akebonos on my Intrepid and LOVE them!!! the car stops NOW! big improvement over oem. and this is a fairly large car. and I frequently run it fast. on the track only, of course!
wink.gif

I run the Duralast Cmax brake pads on my Mustang GT500, mainly to get rid of the dust problem with the OEM pads. Been very pleased with them ... they are quiet, perform well on the street, and are indeed low dust pads.

I'm not a fan. I've tried them on various cars and trucks, from a track prepped turbo Miata to my F150 pickup. With the goal being less brake dust.

On the track, they are generally not up to the task.

On the street, they work fine, but they will fade after repeated hard stops (not racing) . Also, as mentioned above, they well wear and groove your rotors more quickly.

On my pickup truck, they were awful. They simply did not have enough friction to stop an underbraked F150, especially when towing. They were removed.

I've currently got about 1100 miles on a set of Wagner Thermoquiet ceramics on the front of the Jeep. They're quiet, and have pretty good braking power (which is impressive considering the Jeep is terribly under-braked). I've also yet to fade them, although I haven't beaten on them too hard. They do bite better once they're slightly warm, although the cold bite is still fine. They're certainly not dust-free, but it's not ridiculous, and the dust isn't overly dark either.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I've currently got about 1100 miles on a set of Wagner Thermoquiet ceramics on the front of the Jeep.

Where were your Thermoquiets made?

It appears that some, or all, or the Thermoquiets are now made in China. They were previously made in the USA, from what I've read on BITOG.

You might get 38,000 different responses. From reading and experience I have narrowed it down to Wagner TQ and Akebono. Others maybe be easier to get or cheaper or for high performance/racing, but either of those will be among the top ones you can find.

I have the CMAX from AutoZone on my RX300. I only bought them because I was in a pinch with time. I needed to get pads on before leaving for a road trip, so I ended up going to AutoZone and getting the best pads they sold. They work well, low dust, decent stopping power, but they don't last very long If I remember correctly they only lasted 40k miles, my OEM toyota pads lasted 90k miles. They have a nice warranty though, you can get them replaced for free once they wear out. All you do is walk into AutoZone with the old pads, and they give you the new ones. I've already used up my warranty replacement just recently, so once these pads wear out, I'll be looking to get some HAWK pads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I've currently got about 1100 miles on a set of Wagner Thermoquiet ceramics on the front of the Jeep.

Where were your Thermoquiets made?

It appears that some, or all, or the Thermoquiets are now made in China. They were previously made in the USA, from what I've read on BITOG.

I'm not sure. I didn't pay attention when I installed them. IMO, how well they work is much more important than where they were made.

I used to use Axxis Ultimates on all my cars, but now they all run StopTech Street pads and they are fantastic: excellent bite regardless of temp, low dust, easy on rotors, good life.

I used the AZ Duralast Gold Cmax pads on my old Buick. They stopped very well, were quiet, and were fairly low dust. They did eat up the rotors, however, and didn't last long. About 30k miles on my Buick before they needed a warranty replacement.

Thanks all.

I think I am going to try the Carquest Gold Pro Act pads made by Akebono and see how they work. About $ 62.00 for a set.

Akebonos a good name, I put them on many high end European cars, this week they went on an 07 MB SL550, BMW 330i, and my S4. The rears dust way more than the fronts. (OE Textars)
Also keep your eyes out for Textar E-Ceramics, coming out soon. Supposed to be really really good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back