Centric Rotors Are Chinese??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend owns a Meineke shop and majority of his customers can barely make ends meet.

The difference between a "Cheap" China part and a U.S. made one is needed for other things like food, rent, clothes etc.

You don't care where it's made as long as it does'nt take food off your kids table.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
A friend owns a Meineke shop and majority of his customers can barely make ends meet.

The difference between a "Cheap" China part and a U.S. made one is needed for other things like food, rent, clothes etc.

You don't care where it's made as long as it does'nt take food off your kids table.

And why can't they make ends meet? Because we are replacing high paying manufacturing jobs with low pay service work. I bet working in a brake rotor factory pays more than being a greeter at Walmart.

Recently installed a set of Centric rear rotors I got from RockAuto on closeout for $18.32 each. I thought they seemed high quality with the anti-rust coating and cross hatching pattern. The pads were $4.54.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Honda OEM is USA at least for my '02 Accord.

Johnny2Bad,

Which mfg offer North American made rotors?

Well, Centric made them in Canada the last time I bought some (but that was 20 years ago) ... maybe not every part # but at least some, and I think I bought some drilled/slotted Brembos that were made either here or USA as well. The Wilwoods on my Miata are USA made.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: PiperOne
I continue to support the economy I live in and the one that supports my business. Spend a few extra bucks on North American parts or spend it on taxes for food stamps for laid off workers? My experience with anything Chinese (AC Delco quietly started a lot of China mfg a few years ago) has been underwhelming. All of our vendor agreements have a clause in them that parts delivered to us that are not NA made will be returned for full credit and unless they can source a NA part...they will no longer be the choice vendor for said part. It is getting tougher and tougher to do this though...even with an almost exclusive NA fleet.

I agree 100% but its not getting any easier, in may manufacturers are deliberately blurring the lines with this assembled in the USA labeling. Unfortunately assembly is the least job creating and lowest paying operation of manufacturing in most industries.
There is little or no real trickle down effect to other industries from it.

Well, the rules are they are not (and can't be labelled) domestic unless 51% of the value added is domestic. Note that the only words that matter are "Made In ...". Anything else are weasel words ("Designed In ...") and pretty much guarantee they are not able to claim Made In, because if they could they would.

Now, "value added" is based on money, plain and simple, so if a rotor was cast in China and cost $20 to make and ship and then machined in the USA the cost of machining must be $20.40 or more if the wholesale price was at least $40.40 FOB.

Veering a bit off topic here but I see people keep mentioning high carbon rotors. I’m just wondering if given that so many pads today are ceramic (which use “adhesive” friction from what I understand, and are easier on rotors) are high carbon rotors even worth seeking out anymore?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: PiperOne
I continue to support the economy I live in and the one that supports my business. Spend a few extra bucks on North American parts or spend it on taxes for food stamps for laid off workers? My experience with anything Chinese (AC Delco quietly started a lot of China mfg a few years ago) has been underwhelming. All of our vendor agreements have a clause in them that parts delivered to us that are not NA made will be returned for full credit and unless they can source a NA part...they will no longer be the choice vendor for said part. It is getting tougher and tougher to do this though...even with an almost exclusive NA fleet.

I agree 100% but its not getting any easier, in may manufacturers are deliberately blurring the lines with this assembled in the USA labeling. Unfortunately assembly is the least job creating and lowest paying operation of manufacturing in most industries.
There is little or no real trickle down effect to other industries from it.

Well, the rules are they are not (and can't be labelled) domestic unless 51% of the value added is domestic. Note that the only words that matter are "Made In ...". Anything else are weasel words ("Designed In ...") and pretty much guarantee they are not able to claim Made In, because if they could they would.

Now, "value added" is based on money, plain and simple, so if a rotor was cast in China and cost $20 to make and ship and then machined in the USA the cost of machining must be $20.40 or more if the wholesale price was at least $40.40 FOB.

"Designed in" is my favorite: Designed in California by surfers, made in a Chinese sweatshop by slaves.

Read this for a laugh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Veering a bit off topic here but I see people keep mentioning high carbon rotors. I’m just wondering if given that so many pads today are ceramic (which use “adhesive” friction from what I understand, and are easier on rotors) are high carbon rotors even worth seeking out anymore?

This is what The Critic just told me as well. He sees no advantage today in using "high carbon" rotors with ceramic (adhesive) friction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back