Catastrophic Engine Failure Related to Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only pick engines where everythig around it, including the transmission, will fall apart before the engine does. The second part of that is I don't want any engine work done period so this is a tall order to pull this combo. And finally, I want to get the best matching oil so here I am.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ammolab
A shady Houston booze distributor loaned my boss a 1950s Chevy pickup to haul beer kegs to his Ranch party in central Texas. I drove the rig to the party with my new Bride riding shotgun. At startup the oil pressure guage showed "0" but the owner said the it was broken and always showed "0". I could not check the oil as he started the truck with jumper cables and warned me it would take many miles to charge the battery.

Twenty miles down the road a knock started, and ten miles later a rod destroyed the block with much noise, steam and smoke.

It was a set up...the guy demanded a new engine from my boss.

What's the rest of the story??

Does mine count? (story in PCMO thread).. long time ago I had a coworker that told me as he pulled his brand new Hyundai off the lot he bottomed out and damaged the oil pan.He kept driving not knowing he was leaking oil. He found out when his motor seized shortly there after and spent 8k on a engine replacement.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Why?

Are most of those just lazy?
Busy?
Too stupid or ignorant?

All three? Nobody checks their oil level anymore. Combine that with newer extended oil change intervals, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Why?

Busy?
Too stupid or ignorant?

All three? Nobody checks their oil level anymore. Combine that with newer extended oil change intervals, and you have a recipe for disaster.

How about telling us your best story?

This goes way back to when a 57 Chevy wasn't such a collector's item! My brother had one with the 283 V8 that burned a lot of oil. He wasn't the greatest at keeping up on maintenance so while driving down the freeway one morning on his way to work he noticed the engine loosing power. So of course he floored it to keep up to speed! Only then did the oil light come on! Engine seized and he rolled to the side of the freeway. I remember when he had it towed home, it would turn over with the most horrible squeaking sound.

He embarked on a do-it-yourself engine rebuild but never finished. Ended up selling the car to a guy who put it back together. But sadly, shortly thereafter the car was hit while parked on the side of the street and totaled.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Why?

Busy?
Too stupid or ignorant?

How about telling us your best story?

Best story?

I guess I have seen two almost identical. If someone thinks "maintenance included" means maintenance not required, a Honda Accord will last about 48-50k km without an oil change before the engine seizes. And no, warranty will not pay for it.

It is also pretty rare to see a forth gen TL (09-14) that uses 5W20 with any oil still showing on the dipstick at an oil change. The 0W20 cars seem to be MUCH better, but that makes sense, they call for a better quality oil.

Last edited:
Fiddling with my Transit van trying to trace an electrical fault, landlady asked me to look at a light that had been on "for a few weeks" on the dash of her nice little Ford Fiesta.

Oh dear.

Dipstick had a few drops of light grey bearing metal slurry sprayed on it. Took most of a gallon of GTX I had in the van to show any oil. Never got that back either.

"One lady owner, always garaged"

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Fiddling with my Transit van trying to trace an electrical fault, landlady asked me to look at a light that had been on "for a few weeks" on the dash of her nice little Ford Fiesta.

Oh dear.

Dipstick had a few drops of light grey bearing metal slurry sprayed on it. Took most of a gallon of GTX I had in the van to show any oil. Never got that back either.

Eeek. And "One lady owner, always garaged", so true. Just like my two Accords mentioned above "Always dealer maintained!"

Oh dear.

I hope you told her if/when it starts knocking or blows not to blame you.........
wink.gif

A friend of mine had a high mileage SBC 350 blow up due to loss of oil pressure due to a worn out engine. It scattered parts and put a hole in the oil pan, so it made a catastrophic mess.

Back in 2012 before i got married my future wife asked me to check on her seat arosa, 1.0 60hp vag engine - when it warmed up it stopped at idle. pulled the dipstick - no oil. Have poured 3 liters of oil. On oil change it was supposed to take 3.25 liters. The car got another year of driving before being sold.

Not me but one of my neighbors had the habit of flushing out the engine with Diesel fuel every few oil changes, and one day he was going about it as usual, drained the oil out and poured 4 or 5 liters of diesel in, i remember he saw a neighbor and proceded to talk with said neighbor for about 15 or 20 minutes, this made him forget that the engine had diesel fuel in it and not oil and the next day inevitably blew the engine a couple kilometers down the road.
It was i believe a Vitara.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
But to answer your question, No, and this is all fringe outlier stuff. I never appreciated how being analytical in this outlier topic could be as I try an oil that has magic elixir, unicorn in the sky results and how that can benefit me in my oil decisions, just knowing that level of trivial stuff and how valuable trivial stuff can be when it comes to oil.

What are you talking about? What's "outlier" about engine failures that warrants you repeating it twice?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Not me but one of my neighbors had the habit of flushing out the engine with Diesel fuel every few oil changes, and one day he was going about it as usual, drained the oil out and poured 4 or 5 liters of diesel in, i remember he saw a neighbor and proceded to talk with said neighbor for about 15 or 20 minutes, this made him forget that the engine had diesel fuel in it and not oil and the next day inevitably blew the engine a couple kilometers down the road.
It was i believe a Vitara.

Ugh...this reminds me of when I was draining sediment out of my water heater and spent some time playing with my daughter in the driveway while I was waiting. We were in the middle of a game and I rushed to detach the hose and plug the heater back in once the water stopped running out...without remembering to turn the cold water intake valve back on. Fried that heater good and ended up paying big bucks for a company to do the replacement as I didn't want to risk having my family be out of hot water for a long time if I had trouble with DIY.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Oh dear.

I hope you told her if/when it starts knocking or blows not to blame you.........
wink.gif

I told her that her engine was now effectively very old and probably wouldn't live much longer, that I would do a couple of oil changes on it if she paid for the oil and filter, (though I suppose the bearing metal wouldn't actually have done much additional harm) and she should run 20W50 in it in future.

She predictably wasn't much interested in any of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back