Cataract Surgery

I had each eye done, one about 10 years ago, one about 7 years ago. Piece of cake. My surgeon assisted in the development of a procedure using topical anesthics only, no IV anesthesia. I was fully awake and even carried on a conversation with the doctor and OR staff during the procedure. Checked in at 6AM, was home watching TV by 1130AM.

Vision improved from 20/200 corrected to 20/30 uncorrected. Distance vision is awesome, but anything closer than about 12" is blurry without glasses. What amazed me the most was color perception. Prior to surgery anything white had a brown tinge to it. After surgery, white as how you imagine white should be.

The only side effect I've had, and it's apparently pretty common is some protien clouding behind the lens implant. It's cured with a short laser procedure done right in the office. Fortunately, mine is not yet bad enough to get zapped.

I had each eye done, one about 10 years ago, one about 7 years ago. Piece of cake. My surgeon assisted in the development of a procedure using topical anesthics only, no IV anesthesia. I was fully awake and even carried on a conversation with the doctor and OR staff during the procedure. Checked in at 6AM, was home watching TV by 1130AM.

Vision improved from 20/200 corrected to 20/30 uncorrected. Distance vision is awesome, but anything closer than about 12" is blurry without glasses. What amazed me the most was color perception. Prior to surgery anything white had a brown tinge to it. After surgery, white as how you imagine white should be.

The only side effect I've had, and it's apparently pretty common is some protien clouding behind the lens implant. It's cured with a short laser procedure done right in the office. Fortunately, mine is not yet bad enough to get zapped.
My Dr. said I will need reading glasses.

I went to the eye Dr. this morning and was told I need cataract surgery in both eyes. Anyone else have this surgery done before? Any input is greatly appreciated.
I went with my Dad to get it done years ago. It’s the same technology as LASIK.

The yadda-yadda followed by the consent form took about twice as long as the “surgery.”

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a tooth filling, I’d put it at about a four.

My grandparents have had it done, was a walk in the park. Wore an eye patch for a day but not really any pain at all. My grandpa doesn't wear glasses anymore, only for reading. He wore glasses for 40+ years before.

I got both eyes done just before Covid hit, really easy and only thing is that my near sight went south and now I am having to use over the counter reading glasses.

I had my second cataract surgery last month. Did the other eye over 3 years a go. Just completed the 31 days of multiple eye drops. I had to sort of push the issue with my Ophthalmologist the first time. She had actually suggested it this time. I'm real pleased with the distance correction from the recent one. Pretty much nailed it. The earlier surgery came out just off enough that I will still need correction for distance.

I'm not sure if this is widespread, but before the first surgery , I was presented with a price list of varying levels of vision correction at the time of surgery. It was something like $1000 to $2000. That was extra personal payment on top of what my Medicare based insurance in network would pay them. Always short on bucks, I declined any options and wound up with not so perfect correction. On the recent surgery, no such side money options were presented and it came out fine. I will need new specs soon as my old ones are no longer viable.

I had my left eye done many years ago. I was awake and talking to doctor & nurses during the whole thing. The hardest part for me was keeping my eye(s) perfectly still. I did get a pretty good shiner from the operation though. The other eye needs it badly but diabetes has to be under control first. I had & still have only Medicare so the out of pocket expense for the pre and after drops were seriously expensive. I still needed corrective lenses after but sight was drastically improved.

I had my right eye done a few years back. I spent $6k+ out of pocket above my private insurance for the laser surgery and fancy lens. The colors were much more vibrant and it took a while to train my eye to focus near versus distance. The downside is I get halo's at night around lights. Like concentric rings, probably the surface of the lens itself. When I do my other eye I am just getting the standard lens, nothing fancy and the doctor can use his fishing knife for the surgery. That contraption that vacuum's itself to your eye is quite the machine.

I got both eyes done just before Covid hit, really easy and only thing is that my near sight went south and now I am having to use over the counter reading glasses.
That's what they told me to expect.
What grade/power of reading glasses are you using?
BTW, I'm having my left eye surgery on June 29th, right eye July 13th.

Last edited:
I would recommend goi9ng simple on the lenses. Don't make one for close the other for far. Gon't get one with a bifocal. Get correction for long distance IMHO. Obviously get the best doc.

You will be amazed when you get your first. When you look at something "white" it will jbe white. The other eye will see "yellow".

Don't be surprised if after a few weeks you have a blurry spot. It happens. 15 seconds with a lasor and its history. I needed it in both eyes.

You will love it.

I would recommend goi9ng simple on the lenses. Don't make one for close the other for far. Gon't get one with a bifocal. Get correction for long distance IMHO. Obviously get the best doc.

You will be amazed when you get your first. When you look at something "white" it will jbe white. The other eye will see "yellow".

Don't be surprised if after a few weeks you have a blurry spot. It happens. 15 seconds with a lasor and its history. I needed it in both eyes.

You will love it.
My wife and I both got near vision lens so reading ang computer usage was easy. You can see well enough to drive with these.

My wife was close to being legally blind at night. She wore glasses that were as thick as coke bottles. She had the surgery and she can now see great without glasses. And as everyone has said the procedure is a piece of cake. No worries.

That's what they told me to expect.
What grade/power of reading glasses are you using?
BTW, I'm having my left eye surgery on June 29th, right eye July 13th.
I got OTC 2.0 glasses. I had my left eye done first as well, By the way I paid extra $1500 for Laser on my left eye as that is my primary eye, on my Right eye I went with old fashioned scalpel; I couldn't tell the difference between the 2 but I felt the recovery was a hair slower (maybe placebo thing).

I passed my physical today to have the surgery.
Q?; For those that have had the surgery just recently, for the anesthesia, did your Dr. insert an IV and inject it thru the IV, give you a shot, or a pill?

Yes insert IV and inject through that, its not just not for ease of access it is a safety thing just in case someone has a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
Don't sweat this, honestly its as easy as nodding off. A woman I see every 2 months when I get my Fasenra shot was terrified of getting it done for years, she finally did it, afterwards she was cursing she didn't do it 10 years ago, she said it was like getting new eyes.

As others have said you may see some flares after a short time, I did too, it is totally normal. When you look at a street light at night or headlights it may look like stars, a few seconds with a painless laser hit in the office takes care of it instantly. I am thrilled with the results and thankful for modern medicine, it was a game changer for me.

Yes insert IV and inject through that, its not just not for ease of access it is a safety thing just in case someone has a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
Don't sweat this, honestly its as easy as nodding off. A woman I see every 2 months when I get my Fasenra shot was terrified of getting it done for years, she finally did it, afterwards she was cursing she didn't do it 10 years ago, she said it was like getting new eyes.

As others have said you may see some flares after a short time, I did too, it is totally normal. When you look at a street light at night or headlights it may look like stars, a few seconds with a painless laser hit in the office takes care of it instantly. I am thrilled with the results and thankful for modern medicine, it was a game changer for me.
Trav, they will be doing an in the arm IV. What is they inject?
After my leg was amputated l had to stay in the hospital for a few days. They injected Dilaudid into my IV. I was floating around the room!
If l had to pick a drug to to be addicted to, it would be Dilaudid!

Trav, they will be doing an in the arm IV. What is they inject?
After my leg was amputated l had to stay in the hospital for a few days. They injected Dilaudid into my IV. I was floating around the room!
If l had to pick a drug to to be addicted to, it would be Dilaudid!
That will probably use something in the benzodiazepine family in the IV. Valium is in this family of drugs but they will use something different. Just to put you in la la land for a short while. The anesthesia is local to your eye.

As Trav stated, it's SOP to have the IV line in for every procedure like this just in case there is a very rare but serious problem like an allergic reaction. You got this!

Back