catalytic converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to test cats? Can I do it at home or do I have to take the car to the shop? The car has 170,000 miles.
Thanks, Joe

i have been told there is no real way to test them, but a crude test is to measure the tempature of the pipe just before the cat and just after, the pipe just after the cat should be hotter if the cat is doing it's job. at 170,000 miles the cat could easily not be functioning well anymore.

what kind of vehicle is it on?

[ January 14, 2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: tom slick ]

Probably a better idea is to make sure the oxygen sensors get changed when suggested interval requires, they can cause a slightly wrong fuel mixture that may not cause a check engine light to initiate. Wrong fuel mixture can make excess fuel go out the exhaust and overheat/overwork the converter and possibly cause material to crack, possibly obstructing exhaust...

I had a muffler shop check one on a old car I use to have. They put a small hole in the cat and another in the pipe and some how measured the differece in pressure. That is the only way I have seen done. I don't think it worked either.

You can test for exhaust restriction with a vacuum gauge...I don't know exactly how but someone here probably does...

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
the tests you guys are talking about test restriction only. it doesn't tell if the cat is actually converting.

Why else would you want to test the cat? If you're worried about it converting then the people doing the emissions testing will tell you if it's converting or not. There would be no reason to bother testing it for yourself...

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
Is there a way to test cats? Can I do it at home or do I have to take the car to the shop? The car has 170,000 miles.
Thanks, Joe

What car>??? New or old?

One way not based on anything but I've seen it show signs of going out before.

Find a car like yours, year model.. Working fine, and be careful not to burn yourself, but get close to the tail pipe when the motor is HOT, and feeeeel how HOT the gasses are... then by the Temp measuring device in your hand, measure HOW close yours comes to the other car... if they feel about the same, no problem, but if your gasses are cool or much cooler than the other car, then its about time... Be careful its HOT.

Thank yoou for all the replys. I have seen a cat with the honeycomb material broke loose and lodged in the outlet sideways, but people say cats rarely get restricted.
The car is a 91 Nissan 300zx with 170,000 miles.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back