Castrol Tection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched but nobody seems to discuss Castrol Tection Extra.
Good, Bad, So-So, Overpriced?
I see 5 Gal pails occasionally at some Costco's and it seems reasonably priced.
I don't have my diesel anymore so I'm not really in the market anymore but I'm surprised nobody hear uses it.
Castrol generally makes a decent oil although it's sometimes over priced IMHO.

Opinions?

I have used in for my Excursion. I didn't have any problems.

Price is the reason I don't use it all of the time. Pep Boys rebates made it more attractive a while ago.

I used some CI-4+ a few years ago in my Dmax and was impressed. I got on special; 3 gallons for $24! I typically get what HDEO I can find on sale.

Tection Extra (and Premium Blue to a lesser degree) is like the red-headed step kid; doesn't find its way into conversation nor much respect, compared to the big three of Delo, Delvac and Rotella.

But if I could find it on sale again for that price, I'd be all over it.

Walmart was getting rid of stock they had in Tection Extra last month for 7.00 a gallon. made a nice rollback to prices of about 8 years ago.

I've used it on my 6.0 and would use it again if it was on discount...it all comes down to price when using dino oil from the major manufacturers, and Delvac's $3/gallon rebates are hard to beat. But if the Tection was cheaper I'd use it w/o thinking twice.

Lots of Tection CI4+ where I am now...but it's not on sale. I'm keeping my eye on it.

Tection is a very good HDEO oil. The only reason I can guess that it isn't more popular is because it's somewhat the "new kid on the block" compared to Rotella, Delo, Delvac 1300.

It appears that the oil has the distribution channels, but sometimes it's hard for someone to switch oil allegiance when they've been using something for years and years with good success. I guess that's kind of like everything else out there.

I ran it for a shorter than usual interval in my DMax around two years ago (when I first got the truck) and even sampled and sent the sample in for analysis. Results were good.

Why don't I run Tection? I'm pretty much stuck on Delvac 1300 due to their $3 per jug rebate that they've run twice in the past year (I loaded up on it). I should have enough of it to last me until 100K miles. All of the name brand HDEO's are more than sufficient at stellar engine protection. My advice is to pick the properly rated API spec for your application and truck on down the road.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back