Castrol Magnatec vs. Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
WolverineSam said:
I was interested to see that GTX Magnatec's viscosity data is superior to just about all other oils. The viscosity at 212 F is 9.1 and is 44.1 at 32F. In the Motor Oil University series here on BITOG, they say the preferred viscosity at 212F is 10. I haven't seen another full synthetic that is 9 or above. quote]

The 9.1 is from a 2016 PDS document. The MSDS from 2017 shows 0w-20 has a viscosity range of 8.3-8.8. Which one is right? Who knows? And with the reformulation to meet dexos1Gen2 the new oil may be quite different than the one we're discussing here. Quite a few oils have become thinner in their Gen2 version.

Oil makers don't spend much time keeping this stuff up-to-date and formutations change, so while we can be confident an oil is of the specified viscosity, finer details are prett sketchy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
WolverineSam said:
I was interested to see that GTX Magnatec's viscosity data is superior to just about all other oils. The viscosity at 212 F is 9.1 and is 44.1 at 32F. In the Motor Oil University series here on BITOG, they say the preferred viscosity at 212F is 10. I haven't seen another full synthetic that is 9 or above. quote]

The 9.1 is from a 2016 PDS document. The MSDS from 2017 shows 0w-20 has a viscosity range of 8.3-8.8. Which one is right? Who knows? And with the reformulation to meet dexos1Gen2 the new oil may be quite different than the one we're discussing here. Quite a few oils have become thinner in their Gen2 version.

Oil makers don't spend much time keeping this stuff up-to-date and formutations change, so while we can be confident an oil is of the specified viscosity, finer details are prett sketchy.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

On the surface it may seem that way. But when you think about the difference between 4 parts per million, not so much.

In the 15+ years that I have been doing UOA testing, Magnatec is the only oil that claimed to decrease wear... and actually did.

Still seems significant to me.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Now I feel bad about the 20 qts of SynBlend that I paid $1 a quart for at the AZ Clearance....

I wouldn't, I liked that oil.
I thought it had been discontinued for quite a while.

12 ppm on a 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost is pretty good.

Originally Posted By: WolverineSam
You are correct. I should have said the 0W-20 synthetic oils I've looked at. Both my cars call for that weight so I had my 0W-20 blinders on.

All good. I figured that may have been the case. 9.1 for a 0W-20 is pretty good! Seems like an light-to-average GF-5 5w-30

8.42 for 0-20 Edge in pqia test in 2015. Good oil but M1 0-20 AFE looks better in pqia 2017 test at 8.8. Afe also has less Calcium,lower NOAK,and slightly more Moly. .02.

According to bitog post last month or so the edge 5w30 has a new formulation with more Moly and Boron? Ill have to find the post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
8.42 for 0-20 Edge in pqia test in 2015. Good oil but M1 0-20 AFE looks better in pqia 2017 test at 8.8. Afe also has less Calcium,lower NOAK,and slightly more Moly. .02.

But how much better does that make M1? I just bought EDGE on Rollback for $20 and pennies.

How much better? Dunno. I've run the Edge and liked it. Just noticed the spec differences. AFE in now and like it also.

I've gone through the Magnatec UOA's on bitog available from the last few years and almost without exception they are really strong compared to some other oils. The only weakness is not being able to do extended drain based on tbn results, but it's not advertised as such.

Castrol says the Magnatec result in the Sequence IVA test is 30um vs. the 90um limit. Would be nice if all the lubricant mfrs published their numbers so we could compare products easily. Companies usually don't openly publish test results so one would assume this is very good compared to others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Sorry but I feel you are under thinking Touche. Those metal pieces are coming from some place and each on came from your engine.

Aren't you the one that changes the air filter every oil change? Talk about over thinking it. Whew!

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I disagree with your logic that's a 30% reduction in ware.

You've eliminated the common denominator of one million. This link may help:

http://www.rapidtables.com/math/number/PPM.htm

Also it's wear, not ware.

You are over thinking what JohnnyJohnson is saying and what he is saying is correct. It is a 30% (more like 33%) reduction in wear metals. You applying the PPM as a percentage of total volume of the oil to define the percentage is not what he is saying.

Also, being a grammar Nazi does not make your point more valid than his.

Actually that would be a spelling Nazi, not a grammar Nazi.
smirk.gif

Sorry but I feel you are under thinking Touche. Those metal pieces are coming from some place and each on came from your engine.

Aren't you the one that changes the air filter every oil change? Talk about over thinking it. Whew!

Yes I don't do my laundry in dirty water to save money. I don't over think it I just do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KJSmith
I went from Syn-Blend to Magnatec. My iron dropped from 12ppm to 8ppm on a typical 9500 OCI.

That seems pretty significant to me.

On the surface it may seem that way. But when you think about the difference between 4 parts per million, not so much. Lets say you take 4 and divide it by one million to see what it is as a percentage, it will come back at 0. So not even 1%.

200 ppm of CO (carbon monoxide) is only, like, 0.02%, right? That's a really low percentage. Want to go stand in a sealed room with 200 ppm of CO for a couple of hours? Think you'll be able to even walk out of the room after a couple of hours?

PPM is simply a scale for measuring things that are considered significant in those concentrations. What ppm concentration would you start considering wear metals to be significant if not 4ppm? I'm afraid you're completely misunderstanding and misapplying the ppm scale.

Edit - Just for clarification, 200 ppm is the OSHA ceiling exposure limit and only allowed for 5 minutes before it becomes dangerous.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of both and use them both extensively. Edge 0w40 is the bomb.com for extended OCI's and IMO is the best oil sitting on the shelf at Wally's. Magnatec performs way beyond it's price point and is an amazing bargain.

I can do 10k OCI's with Edge 0w40 without needing to spend money on a UOA I know I am still dumping good oil at 10k. Magnatec is awesome for shorter OCI's doing an 8k run of it right now in the Lincoln but I am not real comfortable pushing it much beyond that.

Win - win.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am a huge fan of both and use them both extensively. Edge 0w40 is the bomb.com for extended OCI's and IMO is the best oil sitting on the shelf at Wally's. Magnatec performs way beyond it's price point and is an amazing bargain.

I can do 10k OCI's with Edge 0w40 without needing to spend money on a UOA I know I am still dumping good oil at 10k. Magnatec is awesome for shorter OCI's doing an 8k run of it right now in the Lincoln but I am not real comfortable pushing it much beyond that.

Win - win.

^^^ what he just said.

Edge 0W-40 is their best PCMO product, it's PAO based (last time I asked Castrol) and is designed for long European OCI of 20,000 miles / 30,000 KM / 2 years in MB and BMW etc and high performance applications for it's Porsche A40 spec.

There has been some excellent UOAs from Castrol Magnatec (North American - ILSAC grades) that show an obvious drop in iron wear metals, but it also shows the TBN is getting close to 1 by 9,000 miles. The Magnatec is still in it's viscosity grade, so good shear stability. The Magnatec was a semi-synthetic (5W30, 10W30, 10W40 - Oz) or full synthetic (0W20, 5W20 ) but slowly the range is being updated to mostly full synthetic (5W30 now). Castrol don't say, but I assume the Magnatec synthetics are Group III.

It's obvious Castrol have three levels of products: Edge > Magnatec > GTX. But they did such an excellent job in formulating the Magnatec that it can overshadow it's big brother Edge.

IMO -
Best Castrol oil: Edge 0W40
Best Bang for your Buck oil: Magnatec - but keep the OCI to about 8000 miles. For longer go Edge EP / Gold.

There is one exception to the above, Magnatec 5W30 A3/B4 in Australia and NZ, it's a full synthetic oil formulated to Euro long-life standards (high HTHS, high TBN, high SAPS) rather than American fuel economy standards. Just the stuff for taking your V8 Interceptor through the outback in a Mad Max style adventure.

^^ And every tier showing good quality. Their least expensive GTX 10w30 showing only 10% Noack evaporation according to Castrol's TDS.

I like the Euro oils and have used in the past but most of today's engine's call for 0W-20. Even the turbo engines are moving in that directions. The next car I'm looking at is a hybrid and a A3/B3 oil like 0W-40 will be overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back