Castrol GTX or Supertech Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I am curious if Castrol GTX is better than Supertech Synthetic since they are close in price. Is the Supertech Synthetic going to be better because it is a synthetic or is the GTX better because it has a better additive package? I know that the Supertech line is just an inexpensive oil and not a name brand but I just want to know I am using the better of the two if I will only be doing 5k OCI's. Thank you.

One aspect is that if you are looking at 5w30's the GTX is thicker at 100*C than the Supertech Synthetic is.

This is great information and thanks for the input. I wonder if the GTX 10w40 is as good as the Durablend 10w40. Castrol seems to make great oil products but I hear good things about Valvoline as well.

For me, it really depends on what application the oil is going in as to which would be better. If you are looking for an oil for one of your Volvo's i would go with castrol syntec blend. It's a little thicker than either supertech or valvoline and volvos may tend to do a little better on a heavier viscosity oil on the top end at operating temps.

Quote:

Castrol seems to make great oil products but I hear good things about Valvoline as well.

Both are excellent and both use very similar additive packs. Castrol tends to blend things a bit on the thicker side. That's not good or bad, just a fact to use in your selection process.

Since someone mentioned Rotella Synthetic anyone know if they make a 5W30 only thing I see at Wal Mart in Rotella Syn is 5w40

If I wanted a heavier oil, I would use Rotella 5W-40 synthetic over Castrol GTX or Supertech Synthetic. My Chinamart sells it in a four quart container that breaks down to around $4.06 per quart. If the engine isn't dirty, getting 6K service wouldn't be bad - plus being diesel, it keeps things cleaner - similar to a high mileage oil.

No, I don't think the Rotella comes in 5w-30; it does, however, come in 10w-30 HD oil, found at Napa probably.

It's primarily an oil designed for diesel engines, but can and is very commonly used in gas engines without issue.

"Havoline synthetic was never highly regarded here. Had you compared the Havoline dino to something like Platinum or GC, your opinions on synthetic benefits may have changed. "

If you read Ramblin Fever's post, that was exactly his point. Just because the label says "synthetic" does not mean it is superior to a given conventional oil. The same is true of the phrase "synthetic blend". These are marketing phrases, not actual performance measurements.

Quote:

Quote:

GTX is a well formulated oil with many strong UOAs posted here and a major motor oil company backing it. Supertech is whatever the lowest bidder provided and was able to get past the SM spec requirements one way or another.

I know which one I would choose.

Make that 2 votes for the GTX. Supertech Synth has almost no additives, and GTX has turned in UOA's that rival that of some entry level synthetics anyway. I tried Supertech Dino in my Jeep for a rinse OCI, and as mentioned earlier, the idle got rough and the butt dyno said it just wasn't running right. Switched back to Maxlife, and no problem. Sure made my confidence in Supertech Oil's wane...

smirk.gif

Ignore these replies. If supertech synthetic is such a horrible oil, why did it turn in one of the best, if not the best uoa on the site?

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...part=1&vc=1

Well, I was at Wal-Mart today and saw that the Castrol HM 5w30 is only $12.97 a 5qt. gallon and that is what I am going to go with eventually with the Supertech filter. It seems to be a great oil and both my vehicles have well over 100k miles on them. Thanks again for all the input.

Quote:

Well, I was at Wal-Mart today and saw that the Castrol HM 5w30 is only $12.97 a 5qt. gallon and that is what I am going to go with eventually with the Supertech filter. It seems to be a great oil and both my vehicles have well over 100k miles on them. Thanks again for all the input.

Sounds like a good decision to me!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Sounds just like what I recommended on another thread here you started on HM oils.

Good choice!

tombstone.gif
Virginia Tech victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back