Castrol GC M02xx 0W/30, 4786, '00 Chev Prizm 1.8L 1ZZFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first ever UOA. I did order the Dyson Analysis. The only bolded numbers were the flash point. Make up oil was 1/4 quart and was with Castrol Syntec 5W20 that I had in the trunk (I forgot to put that it was topped off with 5W20 in the report). Makeup oil was after a long 180 mile drive at 75-85mph back from Phoenix in January (around 3K). Speed limit is 75mph if you were wondering. There were about five similar runs 70-75mph on this OCI. Infrequent short trips. Usual trip is 12 miles into work. Car is used for work and can have 24 to 150 mile a day runs. For example, todays milage was 87 miles in toto.

code:

Date 3/22/2006

Lab Blackstone

***Vehicle ID***

Make Chevrolet

Model Prizm

Year 2000

Engine 1.8L 4-cyl (1ZZFE)

Miles on Vehicle 108196

***Oil Identification***

Oil Brand Castrol

Oil Series Syntec GC Lot M02xxx

Oil SAE J300 0W30

API SX SL

Miles on Oil 4786

Months In Service four

***Elements***

Aluminum 1 (3)

Chromium 0 (1)

Iron 6 (8)

Copper 1 (2)

Lead 1 (1)

Tin 0 (1)

Molybdenum 5 (41)

Nickel 0 (0)

Manganese 1 (1)

Silver 0 (0)

Titanium 0 (0)

Potassium 0 (0)

Boron 1 (1)

Silicon 10 (11)

Sodium 1 (4)

Calcium 2959 (2303)

Magnesium 129 (50)

Phosporus 715 (728)

Zinc 860 (853)

Barium 0 (0)

***Viscosity***

SUS @ 210 F 62.7 (58-65)

***Misc***

Flashpoint 375 (>385)

Fuel % 0.5 (
Antifreeze % 0 (0)

Water % 0 (
Insolubles % 0.2 (
TBN 3.2

***Filters Used***

Air Filter Brand STP (has about 30K)

Oil Filter Brand K&N HP-1003

***Particle Count***

ISO Code 17/14

>2 micron 2146

>5 micron 795

>10 micron 220

>15 micron 85

>25 micron 20

>50 micron 1

>100 micron 0

The report from Terry is pending. Being an oil analysis neophyte I don't have a clue what could cause the low flash point. Thanks for any input. Otherwise...it looks good to me.
wink.gif

I will be doing further particle counts as finances permit. Current oil in the sump is GC M02/M03 mix. New STP air filter. Baldwin B-233 (oversized) oil filter. Planned OCI is around 5K for particle count consistency.

Well, shelf life is obviously not an issue with GC
wink.gif
. By the way, the early batches of GC, and this is early stuff, were seen in VOAs to have some iron. IIRC, there was one VOA with 9ppm of Fe, so I'd be very encouraged by this report overall. I have no idea on the flashpoint. The particle counts would seem to be at odds with the occasionally expressed fear that K&N filters let too much stuff through. See what Terry has to say. Sleep well.
cheers.gif

SWHeat,

Thanks for using (most of) my universal UOA format. Makes grabbing your data for archiving way easier.
BTW, your cST @ 100 C was 11.0.

Thanks for the info in the VOA with high Fe ekpolk and for the encouragement. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong as I plan to run her to 250K. If not myself, then the teenagers will get a chance (if she gets too ugly for work). She already has some "character" scratches from the oldest child.

Tom, I did delete some of the items that were not in the Blackstone report. I really don't have a problem leaving them in there next time as I have your format saved in notepad on my computer. Real easy to type the numbers in... AND Thanks for the cST conversion.

Yeah, don't sweat leaving out items.
As long as your entries are in the right order I can gather your data VERY quickly.
If you do leave in my non-Blackstone fields, just put NR in the empty fields so we know it was "NOT REPORTED".
Also, as I say when anyone posts their UOA in here, thanks for contributing. We need all the data we can get. This report once again shows that GC seems to work almost disgustingly well in any application you put it in. Someone should buy a beater and fill its tranny with GC, just so we can have ONE analysis where GC isn't the right fluid for the job.

Great input from Terry. Money well spent. A couple of engine systems need to be checked (out of tune) before I can extend the OCI. I hope to be able to extend the OCI eventually.

Dyson Analysis = two thumbs up.
grin.gif

CG did its job...protecting the engine from wear due to fuel dilution. GO GC Green!

What else is new about GC Green?
sleeping.gif

quote:

Originally posted by audi_guy:
TJ76,

Where is your original universal uoa form?

a_g

The most recent version was used in the third post of this thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003366#000003

Feel free to copy and paste from there, replace the values with your own, and use the resulting form going forward.
I just revised it today.
I didn't want to expand it, plays heck with my master database, but adding location, filter information and particle count was just too good an idea to pass up.
I may ask for a sticky once I'm SURE I'm on the final version.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
(snip) Someone should buy a beater and fill its tranny with GC, just so we can have ONE analysis where GC isn't the right fluid for the job.

Bad idea, Tom!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
If it turns in a decent performance (you just never know with this stuff...), you'll absolutely never hear the end of it.
cheers.gif

Good point. If anyone had told me about GC prior to me reading about it on this board, I would have thought he was selling snake oil....
"But wait! It also cures the common cold.."

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
(snip) Someone should buy a beater and fill its tranny with GC, just so we can have ONE analysis where GC isn't the right fluid for the job.

Bad idea, Tom!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
If it turns in a decent performance (you just never know with this stuff...), you'll absolutely never hear the end of it.
cheers.gif

SWHeat,

I had already put it in under "Misc" prior to seeing Blackstone's format for it that puts it under "Particle Count".
I'll redesign the database to add variables, but you can't make it look like any one vendor's reports due to all the labs in use.
I *might* do what you suggested, but only if 90% of the UOA I see going forward are Blackstone reports WITH the particle count.

Thanks for the PC, we are finally starting to build up a database of various filters.

How much was it for the Dyson with PC?

While that PC might be OK, it is not that great for a $13 filter. IMHO.

Winston,

Blackstone Dyson Analysis $40.00. Particle count $19.50. Grand Total $59.50. Knowing what caused your flashpoint to drop .... priceless.

Oh, and I did use my MasterCard.
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Also, the K&N was not $13.00. I used one of the rewards cards I got from AutoZone from buying all of the GC. I bought two of them at the time and it was not $26.00 for sure. I think they are $9.99 at AutoZone, $11.99 at Checker and $12.99 at PepBoys around these parts. It has been a while.

I have to check again, but don't plan to buy one for a while as I have a stash to burn through now. BITOG is a disease.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back