Castrol extended edge synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If the filter can be easily changed, I would be changing filters at say 3-5k and topping off.

Okay, no one else bit, so I'll ask why. Would it be because the the rather high mileage of this vehicle? He does put on miles that beat most taxis!

I don't drive the miles you do but like in my signature I suggest a Fram Ultra Filter. You are running a good oil and that's my oil of choice. A great option would be the Mobile Annual protection. I believe it's 1 year, 20k miles whatever comes first. Not what I'm looking for, in your case. I think Mobile 1 Annual with a Fram Ultra should give you protection you want and need. Your OCI shouldn't be annoying that route.

Your mazda3 has an OLM. Why don't you reset this after your next oil change and use the OLM in the future? FWIW

oldtommy

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If the filter can be easily changed, I would be changing filters at say 3-5k and topping off.

Sir, Why do you say this?

Full-flow oil filters typically do not have very good efficiency below 10 microns.

The Fram Ultra seems to do well in that range, but data on any other filters in the sub-10 micron range suggests that changing the filter more frequently really doesn't help anything. Filter efficiency actually begins to increase as it is used, so leaving the filter on longer seems the best plan for trapping smaller contaminants.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Sdg, If I were doing a job where I drove 250 miles a day I would chose a Toyota Camry Hybrid. It gets a little less MPGs than some of the other smaller vehicles but it is large enough for a tall person and probably has a much nicer ride for someone with a bad back like I have.

My friend had a battery fail in his Prius at about 180K. He felt all the fuel savings were lost.

Actually, hybrids get much better highway gas millage because they run the gasoline engine at close to maximum power which is also maximum efficiency. Once the battery is charged up it shuts off the gasoline engine and runs on battery until the battery again requires charging and then it starts the gasoline engine and charges the battery again.
Not exactly. Series hybrids do behave somewhat like that, except the engine is programmed to run at a fixed speed and load chosen for maximum efficiency. Typical Ford and Toyota hybrid engines operate at a wide range of power and rpm according to demand---at a fairly high percentage of their maximum torque, because that's most efficient.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Sdg, If I were doing a job where I drove 250 miles a day I would chose a Toyota Camry Hybrid. It gets a little less MPGs than some of the other smaller vehicles but it is large enough for a tall person and probably has a much nicer ride for someone with a bad back like I have.

My friend had a battery fail in his Prius at about 180K. He felt all the fuel savings were lost.

How many years old was the battery when it failed. Hybrid batteries will fail due to age even if the miles are low.

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Warranty. The 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has a five-year/60,000-mile limited warranty and a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty. The hybrid battery has a lifetime warranty.

Hyundai today released additional details regarding its Lifetime Hybrid Battery Replacement Guarantee. Hyundai's one stipulation which it choose to omit, was quite an important one.
Initially announced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit earlier this month, the Hybrid Battery Replacement Guarantee applies to all U.S. 2012 model year Sonata Hybrids. It will also apply to future Sonata Hybrid models that will be sold in the future. It is important to note that this is the first-of-its-kind in the industry. Not that many details about the program were released at that time though, other than Hyundai toting the program.
It seems the Hyundai Lifetime Hybrid Battery Replacement Guarantee is not quite as sweet as it sounds. If the 2012 Sonata Hybrid lithium polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery pack free of charge to the original owner. Yes, “original owner” is the keyword here as coverage is not transferrable, and does not apply to leased or commercial vehicles. It also does not apply to vehicles serviced outside the U.S.

“Even with all the hybrid vehicle options on the market today, there is still limited demand for these vehicles because of barriers to customer adoption such as uncertainty about the technology and performance,” said Michael O’Brien, vice president, Corporate and Product Planning for Hyundai. “By offering the Lifetime Battery Replacement Guarantee, Hyundai is addressing customer concerns and demonstrating our confidence in the durability of our product.”
I don't disagree with my O'Brien, but when Hyundai announced the Lifetime Guarantee on the Hybrid batteries, it sounded to good to be true. Now that we know it won't apply to Sonata Hybrid models bought used, it was too good to be true! Honestly it feels like a bit of a bait and switch, but it is not surprising that there are some stipulations to the program. I guess Hyundai has not rocked the auto industry as much as we would have thought.
I highly doubt that people who buy Hybrids are going to want to keep the last-generation technology for years and years. I am sure the Hyundai bean-counters figured that by not covering used models. I am sure they are saving themselves quite a lot of money.
What are your thoughts about this? Would you still consider buying a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid?
Auto News
News Opinion
Hyundai

2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Warranty. The 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has a five-year/60,000-mile limited warranty and a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty. The hybrid battery has a lifetime warranty.

Hyundai today released additional details regarding its Lifetime Hybrid Battery Replacement Guarantee. Hyundai's one stipulation which it choose to omit, was quite an important one.
Initially announced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit earlier this month, the Hybrid Battery Replacement Guarantee applies to all U.S. 2012 model year Sonata Hybrids. It will also apply to future Sonata Hybrid models that will be sold in the future. It is important to note that this is the first-of-its-kind in the industry. Not that many details about the program were released at that time though, other than Hyundai toting the program.
It seems the Hyundai Lifetime Hybrid Battery Replacement Guarantee is not quite as sweet as it sounds. If the 2012 Sonata Hybrid lithium polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery pack free of charge to the original owner. Yes, “original owner” is the keyword here as coverage is not transferrable, and does not apply to leased or commercial vehicles. It also does not apply to vehicles serviced outside the U.S.

“Even with all the hybrid vehicle options on the market today, there is still limited demand for these vehicles because of barriers to customer adoption such as uncertainty about the technology and performance,” said Michael O’Brien, vice president, Corporate and Product Planning for Hyundai. “By offering the Lifetime Battery Replacement Guarantee, Hyundai is addressing customer concerns and demonstrating our confidence in the durability of our product.”
I don't disagree with my O'Brien, but when Hyundai announced the Lifetime Guarantee on the Hybrid batteries, it sounded to good to be true. Now that we know it won't apply to Sonata Hybrid models bought used, it was too good to be true! Honestly it feels like a bit of a bait and switch, but it is not surprising that there are some stipulations to the program. I guess Hyundai has not rocked the auto industry as much as we would have thought.
I highly doubt that people who buy Hybrids are going to want to keep the last-generation technology for years and years. I am sure the Hyundai bean-counters figured that by not covering used models. I am sure they are saving themselves quite a lot of money.
What are your thoughts about this? Would you still consider buying a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid?
Auto News
News Opinion
Hyundai

For those of us that drive our vehicles into high mileage this seems like a great idea. Buy a new hybrid and basically never worry
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Is it just me, or are most of the fuel economy type vehicles (i.e. hybrids, diesels) always best suited for those who put on a pile of miles?
wink.gif

Not quite that simple.

For the courier job of the OP, that puts on 250 miles a day, a hybrid is smart because its not all flat-ground highway cruising. There are lots of hills, stop and go traffic congestion, some stop lights, varying speeds, where hybrids do very well.

Hybrids do worse on flat steady cruising since just cruising on flat ground at 20% power (torqueXrpm) doesn't allow it to operate at around 75% max torque and 2500 rpm where the greatest efficiency is. Therefore, for unimpeded steady mostly-flat ground cruising, such as on vacation, or duty cycles like OTR trucking, it would be better to NOT buy a hybrid.

I've experienced this first hand myself. A hybrid will return MPG way below its EPA hiway rating when blasting across flat ground at 70 - 80 mph. Add some mountains or rolling hills and it does very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back