Castrol Edge 0W30 has BMW LL01 again!

Penz Euro L 5w-30 and short it to 5k.

It's cheap and will do the job.

If you're tuned, that's another story - stick with full SAPS LL-01 as fuel dilution is likely a factor.

5w-40 Penz Euro would be good, as it can be found cheaply in Quaker State bottles.
If dilution is factor bcs. tune, XW40 than.

In B58? In B48 yes. There is too much displacement in B58.
Just search, there are at least 7 instances I've come across, many on tuned cars. It's not common. Displacement isn't strictly related, it is ultimately cylinder pressures that drive it.

Just search, there are at least 7 instances I've come across, many on tuned cars. It's not common. Displacement isn't strictly related, it is ultimately cylinder pressures that drive it.

Well, with tune a lot of things can go wrong. I am strictly referring to original specifications. When one tunes engine, he/she has to be ready for things to go wrong considering that there are numerous tuners who shouldn’t be in this job.
Is he running alcohol?

Well, with tune a lot of things can go wrong. I am strictly referring to original specifications. When one tunes engine, he/she has to be ready for things to go wrong considering that there are numerous tuners who shouldn’t be in this job.
Is he running alcohol?
Here is my car situation: B58 engine that regularly does 2-mile trips each day, so engine often does not get up to operating temps. Northern michigan is 95 F in the summer and -10F in the winter. I will be running a tested and relatively trusted OTS (off the shelf) tune, increasing my horsepower from 320hp @ stock to 450hp @ Bootmod3 Stage 2+ (requiring upgraded catalytic converter and high pressure fuel pump). This tune will probably need 2 gallons of E85 and 12 gallons of 93 octane fuel (20% E85).

I will be taking regular logs of my engine to confirm health (no knocks, relatively small timing corrections, etc).

In essence, the car is daily driven, often for 2-4 miles per day, though sometimes for 100 miles per day, in the summer heat and winter freeze, and at a higher 450hp vis-a-vis stock 320hp, but using a tested and relatively trustworthy OTS tune.

Here is my car situation: B58 engine that regularly does 2-mile trips each day, so engine often does not get up to operating temps. Northern michigan is 95 F in the summer and -10F in the winter. I will be running a tested and relatively trusted OTS (off the shelf) tune, increasing my horsepower from 320hp @ stock to 450hp @ Bootmod3 Stage 2+ (requiring upgraded catalytic converter and high pressure fuel pump). This tune will probably need 2 gallons of E85 and 12 gallons of 93 octane fuel (20% E85).

I will be taking regular logs of my engine to confirm health (no knocks, relatively small timing corrections, etc).

In essence, the car is daily driven, often for 2-4 miles per day, though sometimes for 100 miles per day, in the summer heat and winter freeze, and at a higher 450hp vis-a-vis stock 320hp, but using a tested and relatively trustworthy OTS tune.
You have to take into consideration that Edge 0W30 has old fashion package. Zenc and Phosphorus are at high levels which also mitigates LSPI.

why don't you buy a small one for your short commute? or you can make a longer commute to get operating temp and then go to your destination.its better to spend money on gas than on engine . i am a short commuter sometimes and this is what i do.

This oil is definitely interesting. Almost an anti-Mobil 1 0W-xx philosophically. Low VI, thicker base oil, no moly. I would run it, but I prefer the M1 0W-40 I think still.
I think it's the identical add pack and base oil from Castrol EDGE 0W-40, but less VII. It may sound crazy, but it's much easier to formulate it this way. Either way, it looks to be very good oil. A -60 pour point coupled with a 8.3% NOACK is amazing, no matter how you look at it.

Has anyone seen the gold label bottles in the wild? My recent orders from Amazon and Walmart both were the older pink label. Bottles dated 23020 and 23201 respectively.

Back