Castrol Edge 0W30 has BMW LL01 again!

I assume this is excellent oil for my 2017 BMW 340i (w/B58 motor) for spirited non-track daily driving?

Are there any other 0w30 LL01 motor oils that are worth considering for spirited non-track daily driving?

I'm using 5w-30 LL04 here in Colorado.

My thoughts are lower SAPS LL-04 is the better choice for Bx8 engines over full SAPS LL-01.

Can't go wrong with 0w-30 Euro Castrol though.

Last edited:
I assume this is excellent oil for my 2017 BMW 340i (w/B58 motor) for spirited non-track daily driving?

Are there any other 0w30 LL01 motor oils that are worth considering for spirited non-track daily driving?
I would prefer an API SP oil for B58. I would not run this unless someone does a VOA and shows it has calcium + magnesium instead of the usual high calcium of SN and earlier Euro oils. I'm sure it will be fine, but LSPI has been rarely observed with B58 and B58 seems to handle low viscosity oils well, so I don't know if this is really an upgrade. I would rather run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, ESP 5W-30, or PP Euro SP.

Well you can see my attached VOA that shows high calcium and low magnesium.

Forgive my probable ignorance, but it seems neither Mobile 1 FS 0W-40 nor Mobile 1 ESP 5W-30 has BMWs LL01 spec. And Pennzoil Plat Euro is 5W-40. So for LL01 0W-30 doesn't this seem best?

I'm using 5w-30 LL04 here in Colorado.

My thoughts are lower SAPS LL-04 is the better choice for Bx8 engines over full SAPS LL-01.

Can't go wrong with 0w-30 Euro Castrol though.
What is SAPS?

Edit: nevermind I see

Last edited:
Well you can see my attached VOA that shows high calcium and low magnesium.

Forgive my probable ignorance, but it seems neither Mobile 1 FS 0W-40 nor Mobile 1 ESP 5W-30 has BMWs LL01 spec. And Pennzoil Plat Euro is 5W-40. So for LL01 0W-30 doesn't this seem best?
I apologize, I did not see your VOA. Is this the new bottle with the light orange label? If so, it's fine but may not be optimal. It also has no moly, though it does have more Ti than most of Castrol's other oils. I didn't mean to be overly dramatic and suggest this is a bad oil or not suitable. I do think that I would prefer a mid SAPS API SP Euro oil for B58, however.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and 5W-40 now have LL-01 again. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 has BMW LL-04 now. PP Euro is 5W-40 but it's not really that much thicker than this Castrol. This Castrol is < 10 cSt thinner at 40C and like 1-2 at 100C.

Castrol 0W30 aka German Castrol. Thats a name I haven't heard in a long time.

This oil was practically worshipped in German auto communities.

Is it really that good though?

Castrol 0W30 aka German Castrol. Thats a name I haven't heard in a long time.

This oil was practically worshipped in German auto communities.

Is it really that good though?
The understanding I've gained is that it really is excellent, proven oil from back in the day, but today is out classed by newer more advanced oils with API SP certification and lower SAPS

The understanding I've gained is that it really is excellent, proven oil from back in the day, but today is out classed by newer more advanced oils with API SP certification and lower SAPS
An API license is pretty much the last thing I'd worry about with this oil. But maybe that's just me.

Plus the SAPS level of LL-01 has not changed in this regard. If you want less ash then get a Longlife-04 oil, there is a good choice at Walmart for a decent price. It's what I use in my Tiguan.

the German castrol they are talking about WAS that good, not anymore.
according to gohan post here :

replaced by other formulations:

467680-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4, half-PAO-based,

463737-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based , https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/a...1DB2A943C7D8025894800581046/$File/2936971.pdf

467465-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based,

so as we see ,the only one full pao based is the second one Castrol 0W-30 C3. its this one if you can find it.we in europe have it on market already.might give it a try.

Last edited:
Still best Full SAPS for Euro cars IMO.
B58 doesn’t have LSPI issues. Don’t worry about calcium etc.

the German castrol they are talking about WAS that good, not anymore.
according to gohan post here :

replaced by other formulations:

467680-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4, half-PAO-based,

463737-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based , https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/a...1DB2A943C7D8025894800581046/$File/2936971.pdf

467465-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based,

so as we see ,the only one full pao based is the second one Castrol 0W-30 C3. its this one if you can find it.we in europe have it on market already.might give it a try.

You are quoting European sold products. Castrol products in the US differ.

My daily commute is less than 2 miles, so my B58 often never gets up to operating temps. I also live in Northern Michigan, which gets cold. Do you think Amazon's Castrol Edge 0w30 A3/B4 is a better choice for my B58 than Pennzoil Plat Euro 5w40?

My daily commute is less than 2 miles, so my B58 often never gets up to operating temps. I also live in Northern Michigan, which gets cold. Do you think Amazon's Castrol Edge 0w30 A3/B4 is a better choice for my B58 than Pennzoil Plat Euro 5w40?
Post some pictures of your B58. I used to own a BMW, I like to see other ones too.

Last edited:
Still best Full SAPS for Euro cars IMO.
B58 doesn’t have LSPI issues. Don’t worry about calcium etc.
It’s not common but it has occurred. He’s tuned also. Has a manual at least, so less chance of occurrence.

You’re probably dumping a lot of fuel in that oil in 2 mile trips. I would slightly prefer the PP but you won’t have any problems with this Castrol. I don’t think either will make a difference.

Penz Euro L 5w-30 and short it to 5k.

It's cheap and will do the job.

If you're tuned, that's another story - stick with full SAPS LL-01 as fuel dilution is likely a factor.

5w-40 Penz Euro would be good, as it can be found cheaply in Quaker State bottles.

1686933620957.jpg
love-happy.gif

Back