Castrol 5w40 vs Castrol 0w40

I was hoping to snag some 0w40 for $21 at the Niagara Falls WM last night but they had none left. I couldn't even find a spot on the shelf with it's tag on it
frown.gif

My local Walmart now has 5qt jugs of Belgian 0w-40 on the shelf.
The 1qt bottles are still German. Maybe older stock.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
My local Walmart now has 5qt jugs of Belgian 0w-40 on the shelf.
The 1qt bottles are still German. Maybe older stock.

The 5L jugs I bought here a few weeks ago are the German made stuff. Perhaps I need to stick to buying it up here and not buy it from Walmart in the US in the future. I really don't know what the difference between the German and Belgian formulas are, if any, but I started with the German so I might as well be consistent. Plus it brings back good memories for me of German Castrol 0w30 from back in the day
smile.gif

My Walmart is clearing out PP Euro 0w40 at $13 each for 5qt jugs. I bought 4 jugs, enough to last me through my 3 year Jetta lease period.

Hi, noob here. Sorry for bumping an old thread but it is the same exact question as me.

Bought a 2009 VW GTI TSI 2.0T. The local VW mechanic here recommends Castrol Edge 5W-40.

After finding this forum and reading some of the topics on Castrol, you guys seem to like the 0W-40 version better. Is that still the case in 2019? Would it be safe to go against the owner's manual which requires a 5W-40 oil?

The owner's manual does not require a grade. It requires an approval and several grades may carry the required approval. Use any grade that has the required approval. Adjust the winter rating to accommodate your expected starting temperature.

It says VW 502 and recommends/requires 5W-40 weight. I think both Castrol offers it.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't go with the "better" oil even if it goes against the recommendation?

All this grade 4 vs grade 3 talk has me confused

Your post doesn't make sense. What is a "better" oil and why?

Like I said, the approval is required, not the grade. Use any oil that has the required approval regardless of what group (not grade) talk you are referring to.

But both of these oils have the VW 502 approval. And the forum is praising 0W-40 over the 5W. Better quality base oil or what not. Am I going at this the wrong way?

Originally Posted by CuriousMKVGTI
But both of these oils have the VW 502 approval. And the forum is praising 0W-40 over the 5W. Better quality base oil or what not. Am I going at this the wrong way?

Not really.

What matters is 502. Any oil with that spec is pretty darn good oil and what is required for you. Now if you want to break it down, yes technically there are better 502's than others. The 0w40 does have better base stock and is in theory a "better" oil. Unless you are going to be starting the car at -30 temps or colder, it just doesn't really matter.

It says VW 502 and recommends/requires 5W-40 weight. I think both Castrol offers it.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't go with the "better" oil even if it goes against the recommendation?

Don't get hung up on the Group 3 or 4 oils - not really that important (to some it is apparently i.e. only Group 4 are really "synthetic"). Most of the oils sold here in the U.S. that meet the VW approvals (commonly 502.00) are Group 3 and just fine to use for the typical 5-10K OCI that most follow. 0W40 oils that are VW502.00 are ok to use in your car and are shown on VW's approved oil list.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

Don't get hung up on the Group 3 or 4 oils - not really that important (to some it is apparently i.e. only Group 4 are really "synthetic"). Most of the oils sold here in the U.S. that meet the VW approvals (commonly 502.00) are Group 3 and just fine to use for the typical 5-10K OCI that most follow. 0W40 oils that are VW502.00 are ok to use in your car and are shown on VW's approved oil list.

Actually, that is true, as well as POE oils.
What you trying to say I guess is that final producat is what matters, also true.

Originally Posted by Cheburashka
So 0w40 will protect better? I heard that 5w40 not as good as 0w40!

0W40 is more sophisticated, it is better oil.
However, not sure how you measure protection. Both are same price in Wal Mart. Not sure why would anyone buy 5W40 considering it is missing key specification, MB229.5.

Back