Castrol 5w40 vs Castrol 0w40

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Patman
Even if I found a steady supply, and even if it went on sale for 50% off, it would still be more costly than just buying the big jugs of 0w40 from the US. Plus I remember how pouring 7L of oil into an engine one bottle at a time is not much fun too

Sometimes the 5L 0W40 goes on sale at CTC for $29. Picked up 8 jugs on the last sale. That is about $23 US.

That's what I do. I generally buy all they have, because they don't stock a ton.

Cleaned out three stores on the Black Friday sale.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Even if I found a steady supply, and even if it went on sale for 50% off, it would still be more costly than just buying the big jugs of 0w40 from the US. Plus I remember how pouring 7L of oil into an engine one bottle at a time is not much fun too

Sometimes the 5L 0W40 goes on sale at CTC for $29. Picked up 8 jugs on the last sale. That is about $23 US.

That's what I do. I generally buy all they have, because they don't stock a ton.

Cleaned out three stores on the Black Friday sale.

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

I'll keep an eye out for those sales! Thanks!
smile.gif

Edge 0w40 (along with other viscosities) is on sale at Canadian Tire this week for $35 (5L jug) which is about on par with what I saw it priced at in the US ($27.47 US, which is about $35 CDN) But I'll wait for the next sale, hoping to see $29 on that one since I won't be changing the oil in the BMW until the spring anyhow.

Availability probably. I've never actually seen the 5W anywhere on store shelves. When I can walk into any Walmart and most big chain parts stores and find 0W all day long. Plus it gives me the warm fuzzies that it was made in Germany so has the good stuff in it. Castrol's hydrocracked synthetics never appealed to me, I'd rather run GTX over any of them. Only their Euro made synthetics are anything to get excited about, IMHO.

Edge 0w40 (along with other viscosities) is on sale at Canadian Tire this week for $35 (5L jug) which is about on par with what I saw it priced at in the US ($27.47 US, which is about $35 CDN) But I'll wait for the next sale, hoping to see $29 on that one since I won't be changing the oil in the BMW until the spring anyhow.

Castrol seems to go on sale every 2 months or so. Prices are usually $35 or $32. Only time I have seen $29 was on their "Black Friday" sale.

Just download the CTC app and set up an alert for when it goes on sale.

Last edited:
Forget about using Castrol 5w40. It is the only synthetic I have ever seen that leaves varnish in an engine. Use Castrol 0w40 instead.

Castrol seems to go on sale every 2 months or so. Prices are usually $35 or $32. Only time I have seen $29 was on their "Black Friday" sale.

Just download the CTC app and set up an alert for when it goes on sale.

I've got the app and I got the alert for this week
smile.gif
Now I wonder if I should grab some now or wait for the next sale to see if it goes any lower. I'll kick myself if it doesn't go on sale and oil change time comes up.

I grabbed two jugs on my way home from work, so I'll be putting it into the BMW in the spring.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That's a good price; I don't think you'll beat it readily, and certainly not by much!

Just my luck, I went into Partsource tonight to buy an oil filter for my wife's BMW and they have Castrol 0w40 for sale for $32.39!
33.gif

True! But we can't help it! My wife says the same thing after we book a vacation package or a flight, never check the prices afterwards!
smile.gif

To make it even worse, now it's on sale at Walmart in the US for $21!
frown.gif

Co-worker that uses the 0W-40 was told at the local Wally it's on clearance for $21 because its being discontinued in the US. Doubt it's true as I consider the source, but a bit troubling none the less. Bought 5 jugs anyway.

The price tags for the Edge 0W40 at my store were marked clearance. Don't know if Castrol is discontinuing the oil in the US, but it sure seems that WalMart is.

Someone posted a picture of the 5 quart Edge 5W40 jugs at his local WalMart, so I suspect this is the replacement. While it meets the VW 502/505 and BMW LL-01 specs, it doesn't meet the latest MB 229.5 spec, only 229.3.

Originally Posted By: shortyb
To make it even worse, now it's on sale at Walmart in the US for $21!
frown.gif

Co-worker that uses the 0W-40 was told at the local Wally it's on clearance for $21 because its being discontinued in the US. Doubt it's true as I consider the source, but a bit troubling none the less. Bought 5 jugs anyway.

Wal-Mart has that one on clearance also!

Originally Posted By: motech
If true then Pennzoil 0w40 here I come...

Back