Cartridge filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I read posts here where the person used a "cartridge" filter.Is this the type filter as to where you have to remove an oil filter canister and install a new "cartridge" type filter? If so,I have not done this type filter in years! My 60s SBC engines used this type filter.I would just stick toilet paper in there for the filter,and later convert it to the FL-1A type filter after rebuilding the engine.
thumbsup2.gif

They're kind of similar to those, but they're usually in an easy to access spot, like on top of the engine, and they're waayyy less messy. There's no canister, just a plastic cap. You just unscrew the cap and pluck the cartridge out.

The new cartridge filters are way better than regular spin-on filters. I wish my cars had them. Spin-on filters are second best, and old style cartidge filters are the worst.

A cartridge filter looks like this. You take the cap off the oil filter housing, and then replace the cartridge. Very simple, but can be messy if it's mounted up-side down, like in some applications.

HP-7016.jpg

My 2012 CTS 3.6 uses a cartridge, it is pretty small, looks like it would not provide much filtering capacity.

I'm pretty sure at least some that are on the bottom have a drain in the cap or housing. I like the ability to see the filter element before purchase, not after use. I don't like the price, up here at least, the cartridge is generally more expensive. As an example, now this is about the worst spread here, TG3387A for the G6 $7, TG 9018 for the G5, $12.

Originally Posted By: zedrone
My 2012 CTS 3.6 uses a cartridge, it is pretty small, looks like it would not provide much filtering capacity.

At almost 4" tall and 2" diameter, it likely has as much or more media than the PF47 sized filter they might have put on....

BOF,
I understand they are pretty common in German sedans but I can't say for sure, never got to work on one.

I like them. No worries about burning hands against hot engine parts. Only mess part is getting the filter to slide off the stem which is part of the cap.

Both my 2008 Mazda and 2012 Toyota have them. The Mazda is on the bottom of the engine and has a drain in the cap. There are two gaskets to change, the drain and the cap. I don't know how anyone can like these over canisters. It takes a lot longer to change and has more parts to change out.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
It takes a lot longer to change and has more parts to change out.

Sounds like yours are just part of a bad engine design. The ones on our C300 and 530i are a breeze and no mess.

Originally Posted By: zedrone

Modern engines don't really produce a lot of mess that a filter would have to capture, so even a smaller filter is typically enough to do the job.

My Mazda CX7 has an upside down cartridge filter. It takes me an additional 10 minutes or so when I change my oil. I wish it was on top. I like the cartridge type because I see what the filter looks like going in and coming out. I don't need to wonder if the media or a valve or a hole is not seen, like with a spinon. The stinkers charge me just as much for the cartridge as for the old type spinons though. Ed

Driven entirely by "green" concerns- less wasted material (no metal shell replaced with each filter, just the part that gets dirty.) Not by better performance.

mazda switched over from cartridge to spin on in the middle of the '09 model run on the mazda5. I've got a late '09 with the spin on. I prefer it; quicker changes, and cheaper.
when I had a saturn VUE w/ the ecotec, that was easy. the cartridge was on top.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
It takes a lot longer to change and has more parts to change out.

Sounds like yours are just part of a bad engine design. The ones on our C300 and 530i are a breeze and no mess.
+1. BMW and MB have them on top and in front of engine. Easy sleazy.

Yes the Ecotec is easy, on top and you're not supposed to change the o-ring on the cap. Not sure I would like one underneath.

Maybe driven by green concerns and not better performance but I don't see them as worse performers either.

BMW has used filter elements ("environmental" or "metal free") since about 1990. I think the M50 engine was the first. The oil filter housing is mounted on the upper front of the engine, which makes it trivial to access and self draining once the cap is loosened. It's really quite wonderful compared to a sideways filter under the exhaust manifold. The drain is the traditional bolt located at the very bottom of the oil pan sump.

Audi's implementation puts the filter cap and drain at the bottom front of the engine, with a odd drain assembly. This far less convenient (massively sloppy) for home service, but easy with the magic drain tool and the car on a lift.

I don't really see a thin metal shell replaced once a year as being a significant environmental issue when the ton of steel surrounding it has an average 10 year life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: djb

I don't really see a thin metal shell replaced once a year as being a significant environmental issue when the ton of steel surrounding it has an average 10 year life.

The problem is with the 0.5 Qt or so of used oil inside filter being tossed at landfills.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
It's a great thing for a true BITOGer as you don't have to open the filter can that used to be quite a chore.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back