Cartridge filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else put toilet paper in those old Chevy canisters for filtration like I did back in the day?
lol.gif

No. Toilet paper will NOT hold up to the pressures encountered in the oil system. Try putting toilet paper in water and see how well it holds up.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
No. Toilet paper will NOT hold up to the pressures encountered in the oil system. Try putting toilet paper in water and see how well it holds up.

I used it in the old Chevy filter canisters,so I know it held up.It might not have been the best thing to do but it did the job.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Thanx for posting that video ZeeOSix.All you have to do is pull off the paper until the filter fits snuggly in the canister.Been there,done that.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: djb

I don't really see a thin metal shell replaced once a year as being a significant environmental issue when the ton of steel surrounding it has an average 10 year life.

The problem is with the 0.5 Qt or so of used oil inside filter being tossed at landfills.

There is no way you can keep a pint of oil inside a used filter without really trying. You might have a subjective feeling that it's a big amount, but it only takes a half ounce of oil to make a real mess.

The media-only cartridges look easier for a recycling facility to squeeze dry, but once they need to shred and separate they all go into the same bin.

I'm not arguing that they aren't a good idea, just that the environmental benefit is negligible. The extended oil change intervals, up to 18K miles for BMW, is far more significant.

I don't really see a thin metal shell replaced once a year as being a significant environmental issue when the ton of steel surrounding it has an average 10 year life.

The problem is with the 0.5 Qt or so of used oil inside filter being tossed at landfills.

There is no way you can keep a pint of oil inside a used filter without really trying. You might have a subjective feeling that it's a big amount, but it only takes a half ounce of oil to make a real mess.

Only the big one would hold a pint, but the amount is NOT negligible. Have you prefilled a filter during oil change? If you did, you would notice. With ADBV, it's not easy to drain them fully.

Only the big one would hold a pint, but the amount is NOT negligible. Have you prefilled a filter during oil change? If you did, you would notice. With ADBV, it's not easy to drain them fully.

Pre-filling a filter and then holding it like a cup, as you might do during installation, is an absurd comparison. No one throws away a filter filled to the brim with used oil. Most people let it drain for a minute or five. The ADBV won't prevent most of the oil from draining out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back