Carry On trailers?

I think my 4x8 HF utility trailer is starting to age out, after 15 years of service. Lots of random small trips, no problems, but I think maybe it got overloaded by friends and maybe the frame got tweaked--not sure but the last couple of years I've been watching the U channel that the leafs ride in, and a recent fire pit project I think may have shown it's no longer got a 1,195 GVWR any more--I kept the weight to 1,000 to 1,200 pounds on several short trips (20-30 miles from the storm, times 5 or 6 times), and the waves in the U channel have expanded after that.

I'd go with another HF but I'm wondering if it's just time to step up. Are the Carry On's "ok" for home usage? My Camry isn't rated for towing more than 1k so buying a trailer rated for 3k that has a curb of 1k doesn't work very well for me.

I'm keeping an eye open on CL for used trailers, and open to getting a pop-up that can be stripped and redone, but am mindful that I could spend more revamping a used trailer than just buying new.

trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

I had a Carry-On 5x8? from I think Lowes and it was fine for the time I owned it. I used it almost daily for a while to tow a commercial walk behind mower and bouncy houses. Lots of highway miles. The only issue I recall was the metal mesh floor/deck kind of sagged from the heavy use and was lumpy. Wood would have been better, but more expensive.

Sounds like you wore out the cheap tool so ready to step up to a quality tool(trailer).
Basically. So I’m looking. But it can’t be too good as quality weighs and also costs. 15 years is not a bad run, some cars don’t manage that.

The channel wear is from turning. If it was mine, I would bang it back and maybe add some material to strengthen it up a bit or just drive it. In those pics, it doesn't look that bad to me.
Hadn’t thought of that! When it dries out outside I’ll take another look. Maybe I’m worried over nothing.

although the holes up front, for the tilt feature, are wallowing out. Likes to bang around, going over bumps.

Sounds like you need a welder.
You’re an evil influence. You convinced me to get the tire changer and change my own tires—you might yet convince me yet to give in and get a welder.

We converted from an electric range to a gas stove so I finally have an open 240 circuit—all I need to do is run the wire out to the garage.

Sounds like you need a welder.

Those wallowed out holes could be fixed in a jiffy by welding washers on.

You can also take the rattles out of any bolt-together trailer, new or used, by zapping the seams.
(y)

How anyone who works on their own stuff gets along without a welder is beyond me. From repairs to fabricating they pay for themselves and save you $ $.

I just wish I could justify a TIG...

Buying a used trailer and not knowing the use. Spring shackles wear out the bolts and or some have plastic bushings in spring eyes. Trailer tires wearout from the inside and valve stems dry rot. Don't forget the bearings ,races and spindles.

I’d recommend an Aluma 486 if you can find a dealer near you. Aluminum frame, torsion axle, 280 lbs empty, 5 year warranty, LED lighting. Very nice quality

I have an Aluma AE58 5x8 enclosed and it’s literally one of the best purchases / investments I’ve ever made. I’ve had it 10 years and since it’s not rusting at all here in Minnesota I’ll probably have it for many more decades. I love the torsion axle for lighter loads vs. leaf springs.

My MINI Clubman (and all my previous hatchbacks) tow it with ease.

34CF94EC-B4D9-4226-A354-EA09DBC25096.jpeg

(y)

How anyone who works on their own stuff gets along without a welder is beyond me. From repairs to fabricating they pay for themselves and save you $ $.

I just wish I could justify a TIG...
I’m not much of a diy person. I spin wrenches and can follow directions (sometimes) but most of the time I don’t work on much.

Buying a used trailer and not knowing the use. Spring shackles wear out the bolts and or some have plastic bushings in spring eyes. Trailer tires wearout from the inside and valve stems dry rot. Don't forget the bearings ,races and spindles.
if I bought used I’d go through the bearings and probably get new tires. I try to do bearings once a year on my trailers, the HF needs it as for some reaso it seems prone to water entry. At least it’s easy to do.

I’d recommend an Aluma 486 if you can find a dealer near you. Aluminum frame, torsion axle, 280 lbs empty, 5 year warranty, LED lighting. Very nice quality

I have an Aluma AE58 5x8 enclosed and it’s literally one of the best purchases / investments I’ve ever made. I’ve had it 10 years and since it’s not rusting at all here in Minnesota I’ll probably have it for many more decades. I love the torsion axle for lighter loads vs. leaf springs.

My MINI Clubman (and all my previous hatchbacks) tow it with ease.

View attachment 62236
yeah, I have a 6x14 enclosed, was great for moving things. traded the truck though and lack a tow vehicle now, I think curb is 1,600lb so not towing with the Camry. Great size though, I don’t have to duck going in.

I have a Carry-On 5x8 mesh floor. Noticeably better than my old HF trailer. I've maxed out the payload about 4 times without major issues. I did bend the drop down gate by driving a forklift onto it. it's thin enough metal I can bend back. Highly recommend paying extra for wood floors. The mesh is a bit flimsy to walk on, but the trailer is light enough to push it by hand.

Now I just need a enclosed trailer.

Put my foot through the plywood floor the other weekend, finally got around to removing it. The channel that the spring sits in is thinner than I thought, in one spot I could flex it with my thumb.

trailer10.jpg

trailer11.jpg

That's pretty thin. It is sagging slightly over the axle, like the frame is bending a bit, and these U channels look like some bendage.

Another "ick" photo: didn't realize how floppy this was. Last number of years I have had plywood on the stake sides, which really stiffens up the works. Turns out they were way more structural than I thought:
trailer12.jpg

That bow is from the trailer jack being on the right side of the tongue A-frame. I can easily put my foot down on the left rear and twist the works the other way. No lack of flex here! I suspect I didn't use enough carriage bolts on the floor last time (3 on the rear, 3 up front, and one in dead center).

Wife thinks I should just move on. I think she's right, this thing just isn't going to hold up to its rated capacity (but could last a long time hauling kayaks and yard debris).

Poking around to see what I want. I kinda like the Karavan that HD has, I think it takes 4.8x12 tires which, despite being generally hated, never did me wrong. Plus I have a spare set at the moment. :)

I don't think I will go HF this time around, I could put up with the flexible nature (since it shores up once you add plywood, stake sides and then plywood on the sides) but for not much more maybe I can just get a step better.

Since you don't want to fix it , you can easily sell that to someone. Some angle iron mig welding and as eljefino stated some bracing of the channels, it will still be usable.

I have a 5x8 Carry-on trailer. Tows well, seems to be built decent. I carry everything from furniture to lawnmowers. I upgraded the rear lights to LED. It has towed near the weight rating through several states without issue. I'm pretty happy with it, and would buy another if this one fell apart, which I don't think will. A friend bought one just like mine after he borrowed it a few times.

Back