Careful out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
True indeed Bambam. Guys look million dollar mile. It is a one mile stretch of interstate 295 going through Hopewell. The city police sit out there everyday and managed to write one million dollars worth of speeding tickets in a year. To be fair they only pull people going at least 10 mph over the speed limit there. Which now it is 70 mph. I believe that if you are going temps mph or more over the speed limit then you have earned a ticket. In fact 80 mph or more in any speed zone in Virginia is a reckless driving ticket. So, I don't mind them busting people for going 81 plus mph. In fact I saw the Hopewell police pull a moron driver from Georgia who was going close to 90 mph. That world champion was driving very nasty and got over in front of someone and stomped on his brakes then hit the gas real hard after doing his garbage move. I was glad that the Hopewell police was sitting there and busted that individual. That having been stated be very careful in Virginia. There seems to be a lot more police activity in my state versus others around here.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

I won't talk about how I drive, but living in "the prairies" all of my life, I've got exactly one speeding ticket...
It's funny how one person's experience can so drastically differ from another's.

Wow, either lots has changed since i lived in Sask, or you must drive very slowly!
12.gif

Last time I was there I noticed a flash in my rear view mirror when driving on ring road.
After I got to my destination I was informed that there are speed cameras that automatically take your pic and send you a ticket in the mail!
crazy2.gif
I guess it's so the cops don't have to hand out tickets like you suggested.

Lucky for me, my rear plate (the only one on the car) was completely covered with snow and ice.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Same in Ontario. The old expression from Police was and still is: "8 over is great, 9 you're mine" (MPH not Km/h)

In NJ, it's 15+ mph over to get noticed on the turnpike as long as you're not changing lanes off tailgating.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My area has been focusing on patrolling school zone speeding, as the little ones are starting the new school year. IMO Anyone caught speeding through a school zone or passing a stopped school bus should go directly to jail.

Not long after my daughter started grade school, I was most of the way through the zone in front of her school (light was flashing) and some guy tore through it at maybe 50mph and then locked them up to avoid hitting me from behind. I could see him looking down into his lap at a phone or some paperwork, he was so busy with it that he didn't even notice the light change just after that until people started honking. It turned out that he was behind me for about two miles and then turned into an office building parking lot, seeing as how I was still red hot and not thinking completely clearly I doubled back and found him.

I called him on what he had done and he stalked over to me rather aggressively...and stuck his hand out and said he was sorry, he was a retired cop and should have known better than to drive like that. He was doing some work for an insurance company in the building we were in front of and was late for a meeting he wasn't completely ready for.

I accepted his apology, but it blew me away at first that he had been a cop...I would guess that some of them get used to being exempt and find it hard to adjust to being a civilian. Later on, I talked for a couple of hours after a softball game with a big group of cops as we chugged beers (illegally) and they all got to one-upping each other with stories about stuff they got away with because of their positions...the guy who "won" was in some kind of Boston internal affairs department and claimed he could do just about anything because he could call an investigation on any other Boston cop. Eye opening for me, although I would guess things aren't quite like that in my little town.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Funny you would warn the lawbreaker to be careful to avoid a ticket rather than because they are risking peoples lives with their actions.

I guess we all have varying degrees of selfish behavior.

Snarky articdriver...I'm not advocating speeding just to be careful because of increased activities here at the end of the month. People driving safely can get nailed when the speed limit drops quickly or revenue collectors nail you going a few miles over the limit on an open 4 lane divided hwy going the opposite direction.

I am friends with a N. Va. motorcycle cop. Their primary mission is traffic enforcement. I asked him one time if he had a quota. He said there was no quota but that the rule was "Do not write more than 150 tickets a month." For patrol cars it was 100 a month. It's all about how it's worded.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I am friends with a N. Va. motorcycle cop. Their primary mission is traffic enforcement. I asked him one time if he had a quota. He said there was no quota but that the rule was "Do not write more than 150 tickets a month." For patrol cars it was 100 a month. It's all about how it's worded.

In KY the hook was Federal Overtime(FOT) dollars. In order to rake in the FOT money officers had to make a minimum of 3-4 "contacts" per hour.
But it wasn't a quota, of course...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: gman2304
My area has been focusing on patrolling school zone speeding, as the little ones are starting the new school year. IMO Anyone caught speeding through a school zone or passing a stopped school bus should go directly to jail.

Not long after my daughter started grade school, I was most of the way through the zone in front of her school (light was flashing) and some guy tore through it at maybe 50mph and then locked them up to avoid hitting me from behind. I could see him looking down into his lap at a phone or some paperwork, he was so busy with it that he didn't even notice the light change just after that until people started honking. It turned out that he was behind me for about two miles and then turned into an office building parking lot, seeing as how I was still red hot and not thinking completely clearly I doubled back and found him.

I called him on what he had done and he stalked over to me rather aggressively...and stuck his hand out and said he was sorry, he was a retired cop and should have known better than to drive like that. He was doing some work for an insurance company in the building we were in front of and was late for a meeting he wasn't completely ready for.

I completely understand your anger, but following people is never the answer. Better to be a little angry and report it to the nearest authorities than end up shot and never seeing your child again. You hear about it on the news all the time. If someone approaches you, then be ready to act in a defensive manner and do whatever is necessary (using vehicle as a weapon if needed). Never be the one who initiates a conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back