Cardboard boat build

Busy building my kids a cardboard boat for a regatta in two weeks. My son did it last year and now my daughter is joining the crew. Should be fun. No paint or glue allowed just cardboard and lots and lots of mailing tape. Now the pats are going to be an issue. Can’t be bought or plastic. Last year I made a kayak type paddle so I’ll cut that in half but the other end got soaked so we shall see wish us luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 26
We had it for a few years but they stopped doing it in 2020. It was a lot of fun. We sank pretty quickly :ROFLMAO:

I always wanted to try making a canoe/kayak type boat out of layered pizza boxes. An obviously make the paddles out of pizza boxes as well 🍕 but I never got the chance.

My wife got a peloton treadmill last year and that cardboard was dense. So I cut the corners down using my table saw and that made for a pretty strong handle attaching the handle to the paddle and making it water tight is the real problem…

Busy building my kids a cardboard boat for a regatta in two weeks. My son did it last year and now my daughter is joining the crew. Should be fun. No paint or glue allowed just cardboard and lots and lots of mailing tape. Now the pats are going to be an issue. Can’t be bought or plastic. Last year I made a kayak type paddle so I’ll cut that in half but the other end got soaked so we shall see wish us luck!
From the shape - save it for Halloween 🎃

My wife got a peloton treadmill last year and that cardboard was dense. So I cut the corners down using my table saw and that made for a pretty strong handle attaching the handle to the paddle and making it water tight is the real problem…
Paraffin

From the shape - save it for Halloween 🎃
Haha last year we have a pic of my son standing in it with his eyes closed! I thought the same thing.

Here is last year’s craft and captain

Attachments

• 38DF7D45-6EB9-471B-9725-F7F6C5C01C5C.jpg
    38DF7D45-6EB9-471B-9725-F7F6C5C01C5C.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 23
How about an origami cardboard boat? No leaky seams! You'll need a rather large piece of thin cardboard. Would be cool, though. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I see this whole competition as sort of a Kobayashi Maru test. The trick is to change the rules without anybody else knowing. Original thinking rather than cheating!

Last edited:
Gorilla tape. Mythbusters made a boat out of it.

You are a good father. That is so cool, that you would go to the effort to provide your son and daughter the opportunity to do something like this.
Thank you for the kind words. I love involving them in projects all the time, even if it means a cluttered workshop or wasted wood. He has also been “helping” me build my Morris Chair that I started before he was born. He uses wood glue and my scraps to make his own creations. I’ll get the chair done eventually.

86765E6F-65AB-4507-91E8-93547B40363D.jpeg
I was able to cut the kayak style paddle down from last year and make a smaller canoe styled one for my daughter to use. 2 rolls of electrical tape for the paddle and 4 rolls of 3m mailing tape for the boat. Tried using TRex tape but it’s too thick And rather pricey…Just got word that the regatta is postponed due to lack of entries ☹️. I’m kind of relieved since we just got in from vacation last night and the race was supposed to be today. I have storm cleanup and grass to cut and now the kiddos want a mast attached…

Back