Car about to sit for 11 days, fear of damage

I use a big private service lot. I see the advantages as no one dragging luggage around my car. Lot employees only people driving in the lot so less chance of getting backed into. It's their lot,fenced in, security cameras, and watched closer than an airport lot. They start and bring you your car, if "no start" they have jump boxes. Their shuttle buses run every 20 minutes. When you get off the bus your car is waiting for you a/c or heater running The best part is it also costs less than airport parking.

Is this "big private service lot" something singular or is it a business model found commonly?
There are companies such as Fast Park, which own lots at many large airports. They're usually cheaper and offer better service than the regular airport lots.

Ironically, though, I never got to use them. They were new at MDW a couple years ago, but didn't last through the pandemic. Hopefully they will come back.

I would be more concerned about off duty airline pilots trying to get into your vehicle for a place to crash (no pun intended) between flights. Be sure to lock those doors or park as close to the airport bar as possible.

Just make sure you battery is up to par and keep a battery pack or jumper cables in the trunk.
There are peppermint(oil) sprays that you can spray under the hood to deter rodents.
Spray around the battery(as rodents like electrolysis) and engine compartment wiring if you are concerned. ;)
Supposedly rodents(mainly mice) don't like the smell of peppermint. ??? I've read. :unsure:
But, as others have mentioned, I too believe that there is little to be concerned with.

Reminds me of the story about the guy that took his high end car to the bank , used it as collateral for a loan . They stored the car in an enclosed garage . The guy flew to Europe for a week or so and when he got back he went to the bank and paid off the loan . They charged him something like $30 bucks interest for the week . Cheaper than a private lot .
Yeah , I know the story probably isn't true but it's still funny .

My old tow pig Lincoln Navigator sits for 7-8 months of the year ( only haul toys around in the summer) in a field that has field mice, rabbits etc. Never had any issues, nearly all the cars I've repaired with rodent damage were full of trash, food, wrappers etc

I have to go out-of-town for 11 days for work training, and I’m leaving my Camry parked at an airport parking garage. I don’t think I’ve ever let my car sit for longer than 4 days without being driven since I’ve gotten it. That being said, I’m worried rodents may get in the engine bay and chew away at my wiring harnesses.

I’m curious if there’s any way I can deter rodents from my car
Dryer sheets. Bags of moth balls

Don't park near any dumpster in garage.

11 days sitting w/o running? I be more worried about where it's parked during that time. Rodents @Donald nailed it. I left cars for a couple of months w/o running them with no issues. If you're concerned and you have a clear flood mode that works the way it is supposed to use that before you fire it up. Even after 11 days that is not really necessary.

Reminds me of the story about the guy that took his high end car to the bank , used it as collateral for a loan . They stored the car in an enclosed garage . The guy flew to Europe for a week or so and when he got back he went to the bank and paid off the loan . They charged him something like $30 bucks interest for the week . Cheaper than a private lot .
Yeah , I know the story probably isn't true but it's still funny .
I remember that one, but the story starts off about a “dumb” blond who does this, and when she gets back, the bank person asks “why” she states “where else am I going to park my car in Manhattan for two weeks for $100”? Punchline being, not all blonds are dumb.

Back in the 1970s I owned a semi truck and ran the 50 states, sometimes it would be two months before I got home. I had a Porsche 911 at the time and sitting for up to two ,months at a time never seemed to hurt it and it ran great when I sold it.

Reactions: JTK
Back