Car Ramp Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glock19
I've been using Rhino ramps for a few years without issue. I still throw jack stands under the truck because I don't trust the plastic to last forever.

I've been doing the same thing. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

To those that have used both the Rhino Ramps and the Race Ramps ... when you say the Race Ramps are easier, is that in terms of alignment, etc. or actually getting the car up the ramps? Maybe things have changed with the Rhino Ramps but I have a set I bought back in 1997 or so and I find it difficult to get the cars up the ramps. Are the race ramps longer with lower approach angle but you still get to the same height in the end?

I have used both and Rhino and Race Ramps and the Race Ramps are easier and safer for the following reasons.

* They are light and easy to move around and align
* The angle of attack is more gradual and it is not so nerve racking to get the car up. I have the 56" model which work very well by themselves but I also have the extenders which make it extremely easier to get the car up the first time every time.
* Race Ramps do not "scoot" like other ramps often do. Makes it a lot safer.
* Race Ramps are solid with no plastic or metal structure to collapse
* You can check the height on the Race Ramps you are considering to see if it will meet your needs. The height on my 56" ramps are perfect for my Charger and BMW. Don't need ramps for the truck. Sits high enough to work under on its own.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/56-race-ramps/

Last edited:
My race ramps are 67 inch 2 piece with a very shallow approach angle making them much easier to drive up on with a clutch. They make many different styles, and heights. Mine are 2 inches taller than my rhino ramps at 10 inches.

I like nice stuff as much as the next guy, God knows I have more than my share of nicer-than-necessary tools in my garage. So more power to you guys with the Race Ramps. I've been driving up Rhino Ramps for 15 years - stick, automatic, sedans, coupes, minivans, SUVs, etc and never once had what I would describe as difficulty with it.

Like some others noted, best practice to wedge the ramps right up under the tires and then drive up. Easy. I also always use a backup method or two, not because I'm worried about the Rhino Ramps per se, just a belt and suspenders approach when it comes to being underneath a car. I do the same when the car is on jack stands and I'd do it with any other type of ramp.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
I like nice stuff as much as the next guy, God knows I have more than my share of nicer-than-necessary tools in my garage. So more power to you guys with the Race Ramps. I've been driving up Rhino Ramps for 15 years - stick, automatic, sedans, coupes, minivans, SUVs, etc and never once had what I would describe as difficulty with it.

Like some others noted, best practice to wedge the ramps right up under the tires and then drive up. Easy. I also always use a backup method or two, not because I'm worried about the Rhino Ramps per se, just a belt and suspenders approach when it comes to being underneath a car. I do the same when the car is on jack stands and I'd do it with any other type of ramp.

jeff

Same here. I haven't been using Rhino ramps as long as you, but I found them to be quite good. I'm toying with the idea of sitting them on top of a 2x12 with a stop on it for a bit more height, but I've been toying with that idea for a few years now. I love driving my Rubicon up onto 4 ramps. I pop it in 4L take my foot off the brake and up it goes. That worked great for rustproofing it. I did a transmission service on my Liberty putting it on 4 ramps as well. Nice and level for when it came time to refill the transmission. For the money Rhino ramps are tough to beat.

When I want more height I use my treated 2" x 6"s nailed offset together. No picture here, but longer in bottom, then 1.5" additional height with shorter on top. They are easy to get on, safe. Most of the time I can reach under without. With a low car like our Vibe, I often use my home made ramps.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I have used both and Rhino and Race Ramps and the Race Ramps are easier and safer for the following reasons.

* The angle of attack is more gradual and it is not so nerve racking to get the car up. I have the 56" model which work very well by themselves but I also have the extenders which make it extremely easier to get the car up the first time every time.

Thanks SilverSnake and Traction too for your comments. This is exactly my concern. It is nerve-racking for me getting my cars up on my 1995 or so vintage RhinoRamps. So after reading about the Race Ramps, I went out to make some measurements. It appears Blitz is gone or doesn't make them anymore as Google shows Hopkins Manuacturing/FloTools makes them now. My old set is only 36" long, with 6.5 elevation, and have 12,000 lb rating. So after reviewing some trigonometry, I calculated the approach angle is about 18 degrees. That seems pretty significantly larger than the 10.8 degrees of the rhino ramps especially when my Rhino's have such a short distance to get to that elevation. I can see now how the RaceRamps would be easier to get up onto now especially with a manual transmission and clutch.

Do you guys like the two piece design, however? I don't do anything more than oil changes but for a few extra bucks, this might be a nice feature.

Might as well spend a little more on the 2 piece, because with a long ramp, that's the only way to get under the side of the car. Just remember to put them back on when done. This is the guy to get Race Ramps from.
http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html#!/~/product/category=4689749&id=19995831

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back