Car Ramp Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still using my old steel ramps. They don't quite fit under the front bumpers of our cars these days. I first drive the front wheels onto 12x12 patio blocks, then jam the ramps under the front tires and climb the ramps. Sounds scary, but it works just fine.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
How do I stop my rhinos from sliding when my SUV tries to climb?

Rubber mat under jack and tire.

Race Ramps all the way. I have both Race Ramps (many years) and bought the Rhino ramps a few months ago when Pep Boys had their special. Race Ramps are soooo much easier to use. Rhinos?....not so much. Rhino ramps are decent for the price, but again after many many years of use on Race Ramps they are well worth the money.

Happy with my two sets of Rhinos.
Inexpensive after AAP coupon codes and they're holding up well.
I finally bought a set of these seven years ago when I bought the old BMW. This is one car I didn't care to try to squeeze under more than once.
The are a great convenience for the Hondas and totally unneeded for the Subarus.

The first time or two you use the ramps, they will have paid for themselves. I painted little marks around the corners so they are always set in the same place...at least to start. I like wedging them into the tire once things are lined up. Never have had them slip. Still want to use a set of jack stands for additional protection if your body is going under the car.

I've got a pair of 12k Rhino Ramps, they're awesome!

I even use them now on cars that are already high enough, just makes it that much easier.

I don't like ramps. Usually I don't do any jacking...I just scoot underneath. If I want height, I like to build a slight rise with 2 x 10's.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I use the Rhino ramps, but it may take several attempts to get the tires centered on the ramps.

I've found that if you take the time to line them up they're easy to get on and centered.

I found you shouldn't try to line up ramps and attempt to drive on. you drive the car to where you want to start ascending with a straight wheel, then you wedge the ramps up against the tires (like chocks). then no lining up necessary, youre fitting the ramp to the car not the other way around

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
How do I stop my rhinos from sliding when my SUV tries to climb?

Rubber mat under jack and tire.

4wd?

Last edited:
Rhino Ramps are fine if you need something cheap and disposable to use once or twice. Race Ramps are what you get for years of repeated use. There is a reason that you see them at every race track and most track days, in addition to a lot of shops.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Rhino Ramps are fine if you need something cheap and disposable to use once or twice. Race Ramps are what you get for years of repeated use. There is a reason that you see them at every race track and most track days, in addition to a lot of shops.

Absolutely correct. Unfortunately, to many on this forum, cheap is the most important criteria when evaluating a purchase including ramps, oil, or anything else.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

Absolutely correct. Unfortunately, to many on this forum, cheap is the most important criteria when evaluating a purchase including ramps, oil, or anything else.

Interesting.
On the BITOG forum I frequent, we tend to focus on what works while considering value.
I bought my first set of Rhinos is 2010 and I don't know how many oil and ATF changes I've used them for, but certainly more than fifty.
No signs of cracking or other deterioration yet.
You want to spend more for a product of dubious marginal benefit, then have at it.
Just drop the pretentions of superior knowledge.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Interesting.
On the BITOG forum I frequent, we tend to focus on what works while considering value.
I bought my first set of Rhinos is 2010 and I don't know how many oil and ATF changes I've used them for, but certainly more than fifty.
You want to spend more for a product of dubious marginal benefit, then have at it.

To be clear, I had Rhino Ramps but grew frustrated with them after a few uses. I have nothing against them -- they have their uses, but for me, the Race Ramps were worth the money.

Interesting.

To be clear, I had Rhino Ramps but grew frustrated with them after a few uses. I have nothing against them -- they have their uses, but for me, the Race Ramps were worth the money.

My experience was exactly the same with the Rhino Ramps. I gave mine to my neighbor and bought the Race Ramps. An example of "superior knowledge" gained through real world experience.

Interesting.

If you ever used a set of Race Ramps you might drop the "dubious marginal benefit" label. Superior knowledge is gained through experience. From a safety standpoint alone they are far superior to any other ramps I have used in the last 52 years.

Last edited:
I've had a pair of Rhino ramps for over 20 years, and they have worked great, until I got a couple vehicle that they wouldn't work on because of the approach angle. So, I bought a pair of 67 inch 2 piece Race Ramps for low vehicles. The removable extension, and low approach is great, but I always tie a rag around the steering wheel to make sure the extensions are in place for backing down. Sure you can cobble any ramp to work on anything, but I always prefer having the right tool for the job, plus as with any tool you can always sell it when not needed anymore, which is like renting it years for cheap. The Race ramps are extremely light which is a big plus, but they are made of Styrofoam, so for what they cost you don't want to abuse them by using them on gravel, or around a cutting torch, etc.

Wasn't going to comment here as there are/have been many threads on ramps. However after reading some comments about the Rhino's thought I'd give my experience.

After using the metal Ultra Ramps with separate purchase extenders for many years (still have them), I purchased as set of the 16k lb Rhinos (MAX) a few years ago. Got a great deal, able to use an AAP code so ~$35 plus tax. Not long after that AAP made it hot item, no more code use for the 16k at least. Still can be found
Anyway, I've been very satisfied with the 16k Rhinos. While a good value, I wouldn't describe them as a cheap or disposable item. I store them in my garage, nestable and I expect them to last for many years with the occasional use I have for oil changes. I like the little extra ramp strength and width of the 16k.

As for the slippage noted by some, been threads before discussing solutions. A clean garage floor and making sure the rubber grip square at the center ramp ends are clean, dust/dirt free, helps. Ramp ends should first be wedged under tires before driving up. I have read that another option is using some waffle weave placemat material under the tall end helps if needed. Outside on rougher surface concrete finish, not an issue ime.

As for Race Ramps, look very nice. However with the service I'm getting out of the Rhinos, ime no reason 'for me' to spend $220-300+ on a set.

I did a lot of research on this a few years back and came to the same negative conclusion about the Rhino ramps. Would have loved the Race Ramps but couldn't justify them at the time. Bought the Scepter's and am well satisfied. They are solid and don't scoot, at least on smooth concrete and with a FWD car.

I don't understand the earlier comment that they don't stack, as mine do stack. Maybe what he means is that they don't nest (same end over same end). To me it doesn't matter, they do fit together in a rectangular block for storage. As a bonus, when stacked together they make a nice step stool when I need extra height to get into my truck's engine compartment.

Last edited:
I've been using Rhino ramps for a few years without issue. I still throw jack stands under the truck because I don't trust the plastic to last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back