Car burns more oil during highway driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this phenomenon happen in my old car, which used to be used 100% short trips, then at about 2000 on the oil, I took it on a long trip (about 1000 miles) and by time I got there to change the oil, it was 1/2 quart low. That car never burned any oil before that, so I'd think it was moisture/fuel..

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

Is there something about sustained highway driving at ~ 80 mph / 2500 in top gear that increases the rate of oil consumption?

Only if you running 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30. Just think of how thin that oil is at 200F whilst you're cruising down the freeway; minuet amounts of it is probably sliding past the piston rings and/or valve guides. But you're getting excellent fuel economy with that Energy Conserving oil.
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

pat2.gif
Forgot to mention, I was using 5-20 PP. Anyway, after reading a few posts here I'm no longer as worried about it.

The design of some oil pans will show more movement on the dipstick for the same amount of oil lost. Some of the German cars have the dipstick poking into a area just for the dipstick. I wonder if this has an effect on the reading.

Being at running temperature, how much would 5-6 qt.s of oil have expanded from it's measured temperature at say, 80 degrees f.? I imagine it's not all that much especially as the oil is being so readily pumped about the engine.

There's a lot of agitation going on, to the point that oil mist might be generated with the thermally thinned oil, of which might find its way through the PCV system and consumed.

Perhaps some regions have developed hot spots under sustained loads that otherwise would not...I'm thinking areas in the cylinder head. This of course could result in further visc. thinning and as said before, result in increased consumptions through valve stem seals...Don't know really.

I have also noticed consumption differences from in-town driving to sustained interstate trips, the latter being greater.

Take care.

Okay. The mystery of shrinkage has been solved. My car was leaking oil from the filter gasket. I figure it out when I say a wide but very thin oil spot right below the oil filter.

No wonder I experienced shrinkage. My bad.
pat2.gif

Right now this thread is my main concern - that and poor spelling when I type because my mind is thinking four or five words ahead of what i am typing out. The big round oil stain on my driveway seems to have solved this mystery.
pat2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back