Can't get transmission off engine, stuck at dowel pins.

I'm replacing the clutch on my 2003 Honda Insight. Have done this before on other Insights but now this aluminum case transmission is stuck hard on the steel dowel alignment pins at the arrows,

153Flywheel (2014)a.jpg

Been spraying the case with Kroil but no luck yet. I can get the bottom apart by maybe 1/8" but that's it. If I hammer in a wedge mid way, can I put the lower case bolts back in and tighten to break the dowels at the top free? Don't want to break the case or something.

IMG_8044.JPG

Is there any way that you could apply vibration to the dial pin areas. Even applying vibration to one at a time, preferably align with the dial pin as much as possible. The stronger the vibration the better your chance of breaking it loose.

You might have to get a little creative to get something that can reach up there in the confined area and still be able to apply vibration that is significant and very repetitive. I'm thinking something like a small electric motor with a weight mounted on only one side like a small quarter Circle wheel system that would vibrate like crazy as the motor ran. Ideally you would be able to hit it with something like some kind of an impact system that vibrates but I don't think you have the room for that.

If all the bolts are out try to jack the transmission ever so slightly while you rock it with a pry bar. Then lower it and repeat. You're not looking to lift the transmission just lift it a hair and rock it a bit. Work around with the pry bar, nice and easy. Been there done that.

Yes make sure all the bolts are out and if it's not a manual clutch, the drive mechanism is detached. Then as @demarpaint said, you need to support both the engine and the transmission in a way that they stay parallel with each other as they slide apart.

parrotting others. Usually separating is a drama free affair with not much beyond gingerly sticking a screwdriver/small pry bar in between.

It also sometimes helps to keep the top bolts in but not turned all the way in. They will keep the top of the transmission from tipping away too fast. As you separate the bottom side, loosen the top bolts and repeat.

I’ve seen wear on the transmission input shaft that rides in the pilot bushing/bearing cause the same problem. If the clutch linkage is still connected have a friend releasing/engaging the clutch as you pry, wiggle, and cuss.

Triple check you got all the bolts. If you did, wiggle the transmission hard in all directions while pulling backward.

Is there any way that you could apply vibration to the dial pin areas. Even applying vibration to one at a time, preferably align with the dial pin as much as possible. The stronger the vibration the better your chance of breaking it loose.
This helped thanks. Air hammered all around the dowel area and then pried. Have some good separation,

IMG_8046.JPG

And I'm not the best at math, but can count to six which is the number of bolts I removed.

You lucky dog, every clutch I've done has atleast 8 bell housing bolts. And at least 2 require brackets removed or 20 feet of extensions to reach them.

@ Atikovi......I am seeing corrrosion on the dowl sleeve in pic #2. Looks like that could have been a contributor. My advice would be to clean the corrosion off of it and also on any other dowls before reinstalling. You may also want add some light grease to dowls themselves.

Back