Canada...$50 for 5 qt Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
They place oil on the shelf at MSRP. I'm not sure how that can be construed as evil or some nebulous conspiracy that differs from retailers in the US (because it doesn't). Then they have everyday discounts and sales. Same as anywhere.

It's not that it's simply different from the States. Things are different, and I get that. I'm talking about other retailers here. Loblaws group of stores never had 100% markup on their oil. A lot of automotive independents were that way, too. The distributors certainly don't do it. Loblaws got rid of most of their oil. For whatever reason, people didn't buy it. I was always content to buy a jug of M1 or whatever at Superstore for $35. It was that price for years, and never moved. Yet, people would flock to Canadian Tire or Walmart, even when not on sale.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
4.4 and 4.7 l jugs are usually under $C 50 ($US 39) MSRP, but 5 l jugs can be $C 52 ($US 40.50) for top priced synthetics. If you don't insist on the elite brands you can find oil as inexpensive as anyone would want, synthetic and conventional.

Actually, go to Partsource and compare the regular shelf price of LM or Eneos to the regular shelf price of M1, Castrol Edge, or Pennzoil synthetics in the same store, and if you had to buy "today," you'd be grabbing the LM or Eneos. Check the price of Amsoil at Peavey Mart. Look at RP at Canadian Tire. They don't use the same markup on RP, since the market simply won't tolerate it.

It's not about whining; Canadians tolerate silly prices for oil and have allowed CT to use their bait and switch sales for years. They've only finally gotten sensible with how much they stock, if only because people can check online to see what's available, rather than walk in and find out the six jugs were sold half an hour after Friday's opening and sale commencement.

The point is, I vote with my wallet. I never once paid full price for CT or Walmart oil and never will. I never had a problem paying full price for Loblaw oil, though.

Costco has the 5 L Castrol for $31.99 a jug or ~$25 USD per jug.
Canadian Tire just had Pennzoil Plat for 28.59 a jug and it has an online rebate of $10 per jug, so $18.59 a jug or $14.70 USD per jug.

Just need to pay attention to the deals I guess vs. assuming everything is cheaper in the US.

I'm going Amsoil bypass shortly to cut down on the expense of oil changes. Even if I had to change it once a year instead of the 2 years with the bypass filter, it's still far cheaper than the multiple times a year I change it now because of the miles I drive. Plus the convenience.

The oil companies can go fly a kite.

Last edited:
And I don't doubt that Amsoil, as a preferred customer up here, is cheaper than any regularly priced Walmart Canada or Canadian Tire synthetic. I know at Peavey Mart, Amsoil pricing is palatable, so it can't be worse as a preferred customer.

Walmart up here has valvoline synpower for $19.88CAD this weekend for 4.73L jug.

Deals can be had, but yes regular prices are around $50 a jug for quality synthetics.

Originally Posted By: jaj
Canadian Tire has 5 liter jugs of Castrol Edge Titanium (including 0w40 and 5w40) on sale this weekend for $C27. That's about $USD4.10 a quart.

Yup. Picked up a couple cases of 0W40. Set for the year.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Was talking to a guy from Canada at Walmart as he grabbed 4 ...5qt jugs of Castrol Edge for $25 a piece and he said it's $50 a jug over there. Wow! Is everything more expensive there or mainly oil?

I always buy mine on sale at around $25 per 5 L or 5 qts depending on the stores.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
When we sales that are on monthly, why would anyone ever pay full retail price?

That's true, but it's problematic when one doesn't want to stash or be rummaging around. I don't mind buying it quantity.

I do admit it was worse when CT would advertise a sale starting a Friday (and I'd get the ad on the following Sunday) and the oil special would consist of half a dozen jugs appropriated by the old farts waiting to get in at store opening Friday. At least now, they get some actual stock, you can find out how much is in store online (and it's accurate) and you can occasionally reserve it online.

Walmart Canada has let their game slip, though, at least with some of the local stores. I think they're beginning to significantly cut the size of the automotive section at some locations. One Walmart here had an entire aisle of additives, that was cut to one quarter of the size. No big loss on its own, but you get my point.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
When we sales that are on monthly, why would anyone ever pay full retail price?

Walmart Canada has let their game slip, though, at least with some of the local stores. I think they're beginning to significantly cut the size of the automotive section at some locations. One Walmart here had an entire aisle of additives, that was cut to one quarter of the size. No big loss on its own, but you get my point.

Maybe it's happening in Ontario. I noticed Walmart almost always some dino on sale for 14.88 per 5L, VWB or PYB or QS. For the past two weeks I have seen some Formula Shell for 12.88 per 5 L, the cheapest dino in terms of $/Litre for quite some time.

Walmart still does have the odd oil sale up here, no doubt. It's just not advertised like it used to be or as common as it used to be. Once in a while, one can search for the 4.73 L jugs of PP at the local Walmart online, and see there are some, but more often than not find there are none. There was a reasonable amount of the Synpower, last time I checked, though.

When I was buying off the shelf oil I would just stock up when I was south of the border for other shopping/travel and then it would last until the next trip. 40 minutes from the border has its advantages. Especially for cheap auto-parts like brakes etc. The guys at AAP and AZ in the northern part of NY State know me and my dad by first names. Hahahahahaha

Everything is more expensive in Canada compared to the US. When I go to the US, I stock up on detailing supplies. They are MUCH cheaper down there.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Costco has the 5 L Castrol for $31.99 a jug or ~$25 USD per jug.
Canadian Tire just had Pennzoil Plat for 28.59 a jug and it has an online rebate of $10 per jug, so $18.59 a jug or $14.70 USD per jug.

Just need to pay attention to the deals I guess vs. assuming everything is cheaper in the US.

I guess I missed that sale, or were they the 4.4 ltr jugs? I recently purchased 5 ltr jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at Parts Source for $31.99 after I took back my 5 ltr jugs of Pennzoil Platinum that I purchased for $39.99 at CDN Tire. The Ultra was definitely the better deal.

Last edited:
The $14.88 VWB, QSAD and PYB is Walmart's every day price on the 4.73L jugs. The 5L jugs are ~$28 and I don't recall ever seeing them on sale.

The every day price on the 4.73L jugs of synthetic is ~$27, while the 5L jugs are priced at ~$48.

You would be shocked how many folks out there will pay a premium for certain brands, even if it's $48.

As for the Shell conventional, they first appeared two weeks ago on Walmart shelves. It is unclear if this will be regular stock or not. I was at a Walmart this Black Friday weekend and they sold out of FS.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
The $14.88 VWB, QSAD and PYB is Walmart's every day price on the 4.73L jugs. The 5L jugs are ~$28 and I don't recall ever seeing them on sale.

The every day price on the 4.73L jugs of synthetic is ~$27, while the 5L jugs are priced at ~$48.

You would be shocked how many folks out there will pay a premium for certain brands, even if it's $48.

As for the Shell conventional, they first appeared two weeks ago on Walmart shelves. It is unclear if this will be regular stock or not. I was at a Walmart this Black Friday weekend and they sold out of FS.

Maybe I was mistaken on the 4.73 L jug vs. the 5 L jug. Now that you mention it, it seems to be the case. What I find interesting though is that, the brand name oil is about a dollar cheaper than the Walmart's own SuperTech dino.

Being a member of the BITOG forum, I did pull the trigger on the Shell conventional and bought a box of 3 jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back