Can you bench test an a/c compressor for leaks?

I'd like to know before putting a clutch on it, installing it, evac and recharging it. Anyone make a test set to attach to the compressor ports and then to a gauge set?

2003 Honda Insight #4 compressor.jpg

Given that AC compressors operate at hundreds of PSI of pressure I don't know that you can leak test them without bringing it up to working pressure.

Leak testing of AC systems at high pressure (hundreds of PSI) is done all the time with a tank of nitrogen and a regulator.

Reactions: JTK
If I can connect my gauge set I could either add freon and sniff test it, or use my vacuum pump to see if it holds vacuum.

You can do that too. The nice thing about nitrogen is that you can use the high pressure (I think it's something like 2000 PSI at room temp--I wouldn't go that high! Maybe 300PSI at max) to find leaks that may not leak under lower pressure. The nitrogen regulator can be connected to your gauge set. You can use a leak checking solution to find any leaks or I think you could add some freon to the compressor first, then pressurize it with nitrogen and use your freon sniffer.

Just need to identify the fittings on it and order adapters to attach service ports. I'm sure someone makes them and shouldn't be a big deal.

I would fab up a plate to seal off the suction/discharge ports with ports for the gauge set and draw and see if it holds a vacuum. Of course this can lead to more leaks than just the compressor.

Performance testing needs to be done as a system, I would think.

Back