Can this breaker bar be repaired?

Can this be repaired? This was my dad‘s breaker bar. today while using it it broke. I see repair kit for them but I don’t know how to get the driving part out. I tried tapping out on the sides, but it didn’t budge. It has some sentimental value.

Attachments

• B06F9EF7-2366-4F2C-81C4-7F6B3F4301D7.jpeg
    B06F9EF7-2366-4F2C-81C4-7F6B3F4301D7.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 02D866D5-73BB-41EA-A3A7-8F4DE0D00D74.jpeg
    02D866D5-73BB-41EA-A3A7-8F4DE0D00D74.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 2F0727EE-CC57-44DE-8834-394698AE1587.jpeg
    2F0727EE-CC57-44DE-8834-394698AE1587.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 157
Not real familiar with Williams tools, but looks like they're still in business. Get hold of them and ask.

Very high quality tools made in the USA. Owned by the same company as Snap-On. I’m certain you could get a new one, but that’s not the point in this case, I would think.

That gets the parts to fix it. On this one the pin is slightly out on one side so pressed in, should be able to have yours fixed, going to need a press.

That gets the parts to fix it. On this one the pin is slightly out on one side so pressed in, should be able to have yours fixed, going to need a press.
Agree with the need for a press.

Here is another that may be good for parts. Its S-43 instead of S-41, but the joint looks similar.

1701976313762.png

"My Grandfather gave me an axe shortly before he passed. I have replaced the head twice and the handle 3 times, but it's still my Grandfathers axe." - Richie Cooper, said during a ZOOM call with a customer. It didn't go well.....

Is welding some infill then shaping it back to square an option?

Is your Dad mad at you for breaking it?
Dad has passed many years ago. Hope that wasn't an attempt at humor. I have his complete set of Williams tools which he bought when discharged from the Army after Korea. It is still square although for some reason in the photo it doesn't look that way. I would like to keep the set complete if possible. I reached out to Williams and they are putting me in contact with their Rep. I didn't think they were still in business I never heard of them.

When pressing you'll need to be careful not to collapse the fork. Hopefully it comes out with relative ease.

If not you may try thru-drilling the pin, but it'd be nice to have a mill or at least a DP to do it.

Dad has passed many years ago. Hope that wasn't an attempt at humor. I have his complete set of Williams tools which he bought when discharged from the Army after Korea. It is still square although for some reason in the photo it doesn't look that way. I would like to keep the set complete if possible. I reached out to Williams and they are putting me in contact with their Rep. I didn't think they were still in business I never heard of them.I
Keep us posted on this one-since your Dad was a Korean War Army vet, maybe Williams will try to repair it (if possible).

This guy is a typical YT'er who apparently really (really really) loves the sound of his own voice but I think he shows this same unit at ~10:40

Around ~13:30 the transformation -- from a wire wheel I think he said -- is pretty amazing

I’m sorry that your dad has passed away. I’m sure this tool has a great deal of sentimental value. However, it’s not worth repairing. Buy yourself a new Proto breaker bar and carry on.

If it were me, with a sentimental tool that dad had, it would not be broken because I would never use it.
I'd just use one of the really long harbor freight bars, if it breaks no big deal. With any item that is important to ya, just don't use it.

If it were me, with a sentimental tool that dad had, it would not be broken because I would never use it.
I'd just use one of the really long harbor freight bars, if it breaks no big deal. With any item that is important to ya, just don't use it.
I understand avoiding risk, but I would use it. I have Dad’s Packard after all. He would be disappointed if it were to become a museum piece. I wouldn’t subject a tool Dad left me to hard use, but I would use it.

I would retire that tool and hang it up on the wall after repairing it. You can find a new Spurtar breaker bar online from Jeff Bezo’s company (at a very reasonable price). One model has an extendable handle, plus you won’t have to worry about it since it lacks sentimental value. Spurtar!

Back