Electric impact able to take off lugs but not wheel locks

I helped a friend so a oil change and tire rotation today. I used my Ryobi electric impact. While the lugs were no issue and zipped right off , the Honda locking lugs would not come off with the key when using the impact

I broke out my 2 foot breaker and it took it right off. Did not seem to take any great strength either .

Anyone have an idea why the locking lugs would not budge with the impact?

I have had this issue in the past. Electric impacts just couldnt break chemical corrosion interfaces…

To the point that imwas blamed for tightening lug bolts instead of loosening them (false).
I think the cheap impacts probably over rate their torque values, and they just can’t overcome…

I have no explanation as to why your electric impact didn't work (not enough torque likely), but every locking lug set I've ever seen has said to NOT use impact guns or tools with them.
wheel lock.jpg
locking lug 2.jpg

Ryobi is consumer-grade. Good tools, but not Makita, Milwaukee or Bosch, for example. Honestly, I think it was just too weak for those fasteners.
the odd thing is that it zipped off every lugnut with no issues . only the locking lugs would not come off.

the odd thing is that it zipped off every lugnut with no issues . only the locking lugs would not come off.
It may be that adding the lock socket mitigated the applied torque enough to cause the problem.

Flex in that socket could act like a torque limiting stick.

Perhaps that is why impacts are not recommended for them.

Ryobi is consumer-grade. Good tools, but not Makita, Milwaukee or Bosch, for example. Honestly, I think it was just too weak for those fasteners.
I’ve faced the issue with Ingersoll Rand (long ago when they weren’t as strong) and Milwaukee (1000 lb-ft class) guns.

Where I’ve had to stand on a cheater on a breaker bar to get it to budge to break the corrosion. But it’s certainly not more force than the rating on the Milwaukee.

To the point where I was blamed for tightening not loosening the gun (not true)….

It’s dubious that the rating for the low end gun is physically lower than the claims. Longevity and quality, sure.

It may be that adding the lock socket mitigated the applied torque enough to cause the problem.

Flex in that socket could act like a torque limiting stick.

Perhaps that is why impacts are not recommended for them.
I think Astro has hit the nail on the head. Many of the locking lugnuts have a key that only makes contact with a fraction of the lug nut's coupling surface as shown below.
1685544949075.jpg

This thin-wall interface will allow a lot of flex and deformation when used with an impact wrench, thereby reducing the transfer of the breaking torque to short momentary frequencies. A breaker bar will offer sustained constant torque to increase the likelihood of reaching adequate breaking torque. I suspect the main reason that the manufacturers warn against using an impact wrench is the high potential for damaging the key and/or lug nut through repeated "hammering" of the thin wall interface surfaces. This is similar to the increased probability of rounding off the head of a hex bolt when using a 12 point socket in lieu of a 6 point socket.

This thread's post is a little shaky. The locking nuts were able to come off. It is probably for the better that the impact driver did not move them. You can just look at locking nuts and see the thin metal "ribbon" that is stressed to loose the nuts and just know that they should be treated with respect, and given gentle, steady torque with a breaker bar. I once had all four destroyed by a goon mechanic on my trophy car, but they were the lightweight (aluminum?) ones. I asked why an impact wrench was used.... no answer.

You will damage some wheel lock keys if you use them with an impact. The common McGard types aren't impact rated.
^this
I have McGard on one car and a cheapo set on another. I have used the 1/2 Ryobi impact on these in the past but noticed some rounding/damage to the key. I now use a breaker for the locks, even though it allows me down a little.

^this
I have McGard on one car and a cheapo set on another. I have used the 1/2 Ryobi impact on these in the past but noticed some rounding/damage to the key. I now use a breaker for the locks, even though it allows me down a little.
I had the same problem. I solved it by getting rid of the wheel locks. I figure if someone wants my wheels badly enough they will just take them.

^this
and... McGard actually says in their instructions to not use an impact wrench on their wheel locks. Only hand loosen/tighten. Not surprised there would be damage if an impact was used.

Back