Can I just skip the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Air filter screws rusting are a common problem on my CR-V. Mine were hopelessly rusted when I bought the car, and a few were actually broken off. There was no way to drill them out without destroying the plastic airbox either. So I basically had to replace the airbox. All of the junkyard airboxes were in just as bad of shape as mine, and a new one from Honda would've been over $170 (cheapest price I could find online at all of my usual discount OEM Honda sites). So instead I bought an aftermarket "cold air" (even though it draws air from the engine compartment and is thus NOT a cold air intake) intake on eBay for $120. Cheaper than a new airbox, and it included a washable air filter that I'll never have to replace again, and I'll never have to deal with the rusted screws again.
01.gif

If it was me, I'd spray some penetrating oil on the screws overnight and remove them, using an impact driver if needed. Then swap them out for hex head screws. Do the filter change. You don't know how long it's been in service. Why risk it on an expensive motor?

Also for your car I wouldn't let a Walmart tech near it.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Air filter screws rusting are a common problem on my CR-V. Mine were hopelessly rusted when I bought the car, and a few were actually broken off. There was no way to drill them out without destroying the plastic airbox either. So I basically had to replace the airbox. All of the junkyard airboxes were in just as bad of shape as mine, and a new one from Honda would've been over $170 (cheapest price I could find online at all of my usual discount OEM Honda sites). So instead I bought an aftermarket "cold air" (even though it draws air from the engine compartment and is thus NOT a cold air intake) intake on eBay for $120. Cheaper than a new airbox, and it included a washable air filter that I'll never have to replace again, and I'll never have to deal with the rusted screws again.
01.gif

Are you doing UOA to help determine the effectiveness of that air cleaner?

I would have had an OE assembly shipped in from a much less rusty region.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
01.gif

Are you doing UOA to help determine the effectiveness of that air cleaner?

No. It's a winter beater that had 155k miles when I installed the intake. The car will be a pile of rust long before I have any engine issues due to the filter. And that's IF I ever have any issues due to the filter, which I'm highly doubtful of.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
^^^^^^^^
Interesting and great post Linctex.

I forgot to mention that was 3X OCI’s, ~10K per OCI

Originally Posted By: khittner
Wow---if I needed another reason not to buy an Audi, that maintenance procedure would work.

^ +1.... junk, hobby car.

If the screws that need to be removed to get to the filter are rusted in place does that not indicate that a filter change could have been neglected for a significant period of time?

Or is there an easier way to do it?

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
I always spray fasteners and some components with Eastwood Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust. That way, I don't have a problem with rusted fasteners.

I do something like this as well. The ounce of prevention

I kinda figured that
lol.gif

The 10k times 3 intervals... I didn't think you were going on a Ultra marathon oil run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: khittner
Wow---if I needed another reason not to buy an Audi, that maintenance procedure would work.

^ +1.... junk, hobby car.

This is what this car is to me... can't imagine being able to afford to maintain it at the dealer or something, oh my god.

Although timing belt is due, that's one thing I'm not undertaking on my own, whole front end has to come off, good lord.

01.gif

Good idea, these are actually $50 for this car on ebay, i'll take that path if plastic breaks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back