Camry Was Hit Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
They have lasers on their body alignment machines and can match it right up again.

It's not a total. Not any where close.

It's not a total, not sure how lasers will help beat the floor pan back into shape with a body hammer.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They have lasers on their body alignment machines and can match it right up again.

It's not a total, not sure how lasers will help beat the floor pan back into shape with a body hammer.

You know the will cut out the floor pan and replace it (if needed).....don't you? Then align the body back with the alignment machine using lasers. They can actually "pull" at each corner of the vehicle. Things have come along way since body hammers in "Body Shops".

I have actually seen full "frame swaps" on serious accidents on full size trucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude

You know the will cut out the floor pan and replace it (if needed).....don't you? Then align the body back with the alignment machine using lasers. They can actually "pull" at each corner of the vehicle. Things have come along way since body hammers in "Body Shops".

Based off the one picture we have, my bet is they'll pull, tap and fill that floor pan. From the pic, the rails and quarters appear okay and the reason for the trunk misalignment is the rear body panel that took the hit when the car from behind went under the bumper.

Don't know how relevant but when my Rav4 got rear ended a while back when it had "only" 175000 miles on it, the body shop guy told me that if the frame or floor of the rear of the car was bent, it would be totaled.

Depending on how much structural damage there is, it could be fixable or a total loss. Each insurance company has their own criteria for determining total loss. One insurance company might total if repair costs are 50% of the value of the vehicle and other at 80%. Some will total with structural damage and some will repair.

Looks like the airbags didn't deploy.

You want it fixed or totaled?

Looks like were dealing with the other party having a canceled or a lapsed insurance policy...

So we had to go through our insurance to get the repair process started and a rental. This is going to be fun.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Looks like were dealing with the other party having a canceled or a lapsed insurance policy...

So we had to go through our insurance to get the repair process started and a rental. This is going to be fun.

I had to go through my own insurance company when another driver hit me (their fault) and their carrier was Geico and they refused my request for a body shop 3 miles up the road. They wanted to use one 20 miles away. It was a mess. So-even if the other party has insurance-it's not always a great situation.

That damage extends to the trunk sheet metal. Unibody damage. They'll total that vehicle. That structure is designed to collapse and absorb energy and that's what it did.The floor of the spare tire enclosure is displaced three or four inches downward.It's fixable and someone will fix it.That is one of the first areas someone purchasing a used vehicle should inspect.Hard to cover up body repair like that.

I had to go through my own insurance company when another driver hit me (their fault) and their carrier was Geico and they refused my request for a body shop 3 miles up the road. They wanted to use one 20 miles away. It was a mess. So-even if the other party has insurance-it's not always a great situation.
You can use any repair facility. Doubt Utah is any different.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

You can use any repair facility. Doubt Utah is any different.

Yes you can. But the other parties insurance company (Geico) can drag their feet-tell you it will take days to get an adjuster out, do and say ANYTHING THEY CAN to dissuade you from using the shop of your choice. That's what Geico did. That's one reason i will never have Geico for my insurance. And I have investment properties, umbrella coverage, etc., that they don't offer. They will tell you they do-but it's different insurance companies they "partner with".

So its been determined the other party does not have insurance. They had a current card, but the policy was cancelled. So, I'm on the hook for this one, IE my deductible and 20% of the rental. Gonna look at the car better tomorrow since they finally got it to the shop today. The only good of this is my insurance works with the shop I chose, actually it's a preferred shop for them. They didn't balk at all when I said what shop to drop the car off.

The towing was a whole process in itself. The company that the sheriffs dept called to tow off the car would not tow it to my body shop since my insurance company doesn't pay them directly? So after several phone calls to get them to release it my insurance had to send their tow company to pick it up to take it to the shop. Next time (hopefully won't be a next time!) I'll call their roadside. Lesson learned.

That sucks. Take the other party to court for the money you'll need to pay out of pocket. They will lose, and they will then also have to pay court costs.

...and, since not even having insurance, they probably have no money, and that's the amount the OP will collect.
Nada, IOW.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
...and, since not even having insurance, they probably have no money, and that's the amount the OP will collect.
Nada, IOW.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^If they had any assets-they would have insurance.

So its been determined the other party does not have insurance. They had a current card, but the policy was cancelled. So, I'm on the hook for this one, IE my deductible and 20% of the rental. Gonna look at the car better tomorrow since they finally got it to the shop today. The only good of this is my insurance works with the shop I chose, actually it's a preferred shop for them. They didn't balk at all when I said what shop to drop the car off.

The towing was a whole process in itself. The company that the sheriffs dept called to tow off the car would not tow it to my body shop since my insurance company doesn't pay them directly? So after several phone calls to get them to release it my insurance had to send their tow company to pick it up to take it to the shop. Next time (hopefully won't be a next time!) I'll call their roadside. Lesson learned.

You could've paid the towing company yourself and then had insurance reimburse you, no?

I know you guys are probably tired of seeing this thread, lol.

Stopped by the body shop today to check on the car further. The guy is pretty confident it will be fixed, but it will ultimately be up to State Farm once it's tore down and estimated. I will also be emailed a copy of the estimate.

KeS88g8.jpg

WVBULAW.jpg

qLvf8Us.jpg

8V85Ujq.jpg

Guess Grumpy Cat has something to be grumpy about now...

SRrjWQs.jpg

Shop said they'll be using OEM parts and that they have no trouble with my insurance in getting them to allow that. Don't know what they'll uncover once it's tore down. We did narrow down a couple new car choices just in case. In the mean time I'm bringing back our terrible rental car tomorrow since this is under our insurance we have to pay a portion. She can drive the GTI or Jeep.

Dosn't take much to total out a car these days. Body shops are not cheap.

Final update. Car was repaired to the sum of almost $5K and almost a month. Everything seems to be as it was before the wreak. They did use an aftermarket bumper, but it seems to fit like original. The entire trunk floor was replaced, along with the back panel. Those were OEM parts. This is the only pic I managed to snap, but it's back together!

omZIXe2.jpg

Last edited:
That is the first place I would look if I was contemplating purchasing a pre-owned vehicle. You may find out at trade-in/sell time that the value of your Camry is not what you had in mind.

Looks good, but I would inspect the underside. Chances are the welded the spare wheel tub in, as I think it's an integral part of the subframe. If that's the case, I would make sure the welds have a thick coat of paint. And I would probably treat it myself with some oil rustproofing, maybe brush on some grease to avoid wash off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back