calling on the experts. diesel oils in bikes??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Truckedup
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Oil doesn't know or care what type of motor it's being used in. There must be thousands of motor cycle owners that have used Diesel oil in their bikes, with Good UOA"S to backup their decision. Look in the motorcycle UOA section if you need to be convinced of it.,,

So you would be ok with using "bike" oil in a Diesel engine?
Since motorcycle oils don't have an API spec they have to meet, and most say they meet a certain spec like SG, it depends on how much of a gambler you are. Some will say they are safe to use in wet clutch bikes, but they are just sayin it, they don't have to prove it. I would think you would want to use an oil that met your spec for a diesel motor. Diesel oils turn in good UOA"S in motorcycles for a good price, that's why people use it.,,

Oil doesn't know or care what type of motor it's being used in. There must be thousands of motor cycle owners that have used Diesel oil in their bikes, with Good UOA"S to backup their decision. Look in the motorcycle UOA section if you need to be convinced of it.,,

Since motorcycle oils don't have an API spec they have to meet, and most say they meet a certain spec like SG, it depends on how much of a gambler you are. Some will say they are safe to use in wet clutch bikes, but they are just sayin it, they don't have to prove it. I would think you would want to use an oil that met your spec for a diesel motor. Diesel oils turn in good UOA"S in motorcycles for a good price, that's why people use it.,,

Bike oils for use in wet clutches are Jasco rated, no friction modifiers....If it says JASCO, do they have to prove it? You say no ....
Maybe yes?... Jasco oil rating

Bike oils for use in wet clutches are Jaso rated, no friction modifiers....If it says JASO, do they have to prove it? You say no ....
Maybe yes?... Jaso oil rating

i have used Valvoline premium blue 5-40 in all my bikes, and my UTV, and log splitter, generator, i think almost every engine i have has VPB or Travellers oil in it. I've never had a oil related failure.
my KTM's love the travellers 15-40, changed every other race.
my Can-AM 1K like the VPB 5-40. changed once a year, usually every spring.

Bike oils for use in wet clutches are Jaso rated, no friction modifiers....If it says JASO, do they have to prove it? You say no ....

No, manufacturers do not have to prove it to anyone short of a lawsuit if they just claim to "meet JASO MA/MA1/MA2/MB requirements or specifcations".

However, if they display the JASO registration mark (a square-ish box with the JASO rating and the unique registration number) they have to prove it to JALOS through documentation.

www.MotoTribology.com - JASO Explained PART 1: 4-Stroke

Originally Posted By: bonjo
I posted a similar topic a year ago. My interest being to find out what options I had in case of emergencies where M/C oil were not available.

My first question would be why would anyone want to use an oil that has not been specified for M/C use?

This would be my question to you.
Who is the one which determines motor oil is "specified for M/C use"?
Where is the Standard for these claims?

MANY of them are nothing but snake oil marketing. Many of the oils we talk about for motorcycle "claim" to meet certain standards but are not "certified" that they do by ANY organization, API, JASO ETC.. NOTE: I use the word CERTIFIED, NOT CLAIM to meet. Heck, anyone, including me can post a "claim" on an oil bottle and sell it.

This is why, any reputable oil company (Shell Rotella) that claims to meet in their API CERTIFIED gas/diesel motor oils, Jaso standards.
I am sure is 100% legit and WAY better then motorcycle oils that "claim to meet" Simple because "diesels oils" already are CERTIFIED to meet API Gasoline SM standards AND DIESEL CJ standards which are two classifications with the most rigid requirements on planet earth and "Diesel oils" are CERTIFIED in both gasoline and diesel engines.
Much better off then an oil called "motorcycle" oil that is NOT certified in ANY API or JASO standards and only claims to meet those standards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

MANY of them are nothing but snake oil marketing. Many of the oils we talk about for motorcycle "claim" to meet certain standards but are not "certified" that they do by ANY organization, API, JASO ETC.. NOTE: I use the word CERTIFIED, NOT CLAIM to meet. Heck, anyone, including me can post a "claim" on an oil bottle and sell it.

This is why, any reputable oil company (Shell Rotella) that claims to meet in their API CERTIFIED gas/diesel motor oils, Jaso standards.
I am sure is 100% legit and WAY better then motorcycle oils that "claim to meet" Simple because "diesels oils" already are CERTIFIED to meet API Gasoline SM standards AND DIESEL CJ standards which are two classifications with the most rigid requirements on planet earth and "Diesel oils" are CERTIFIED in both gasoline and diesel engines.
Much better off then an oil called "motorcycle" oil that is NOT certified in ANY API or JASO standards and only claims to meet those standards.

I totally understand your point and agree with some of it, but it seems you have a double standard when it comes to this since Rotella only claims JASO compliance and does not register it with JALOS. I don't doubt it would pass the test for the same reasons you mentioned and the fact of Shell being a reputable company, but if your criteria is an oil that certifiably meets the standards claimed on the bottle, then Rotella falls into your "snake oil" category.

I haven't bought motorcycle oil since 1976 and that was for my 400 two-stroke dirt bike. Have over 400k miles on my 4 stroke street bikes, from 350cc 4 cylinder Honda to my '06 Goldwing to my old R6 or any of the half dozen V-Twins I've had over the years. Never had a single problem with any bike because of the oil I used. No way would I waste my money on overpriced so called motorcycle oil.

And here is an old test from '94 and if you can find a test run by a University(like this one was) that says different, please post.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

ROD

As far as the Jaso rating is concerned, they are several ratings,and some don't apply to bikes? Does Rotella for example have reduced friction modifiers ?
In my opinion from experience, whether or not the bike's wet clutch is affected by the oil is not a given.The clutch on my 98 Honda 400 Foreman ATV started to stick after an oil change using a good brand of non Jaso oil...Vintage British bike have a wet clutch lubricated inside a non engine oil shared primary...The problems with sticking dragging clutches from using non Jaso oil is often discussed. The problem persists even with modern clutch materials..

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

I totally understand your point and agree with some of it, but it seems you have a double standard when it comes to this since Rotella only claims JASO compliance and does not register it with JALOS. I don't doubt it would pass the test for the same reasons you mentioned and the fact of Shell being a reputable company, but if your criteria is an oil that certifiably meets the standards claimed on the bottle, then Rotella falls into your "snake oil" category.

You misread my not so clearly written post..
No double standard at all, but my incorrect use of a . and a left out word can easily lead you to that conclusion. We agree 100%, this is how it should have read.
"This is why, any reputable oil company (Shell Rotella) that claims to meet in their API CERTIFIED gas/diesel motor oils, Jaso standards I am sure is 100% legit and WAY better then motorcycle oils that "claim to meet" "

But a better way to put it should have been ...
This is why, any reputable oil company (Shell Rotella) that claims to meet JASO standards in their API CERTIFIED gas/diesel motor oils is WAY better then motorcycle oils that "claim to meet"
Simple because "diesels oils" already are CERTIFIED to meet API Gasoline SM standards AND DIESEL CJ standards which are two classifications with the most rigid requirements on planet earth and "Diesel oils" are CERTIFIED in both gasoline and diesel engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

No, manufacturers do not have to prove it to anyone short of a lawsuit if they just claim to "meet JASO MA/MA1/MA2/MB requirements or specifcations".

However, if they display the JASO registration mark (a square-ish box with the JASO rating and the unique registration number) they have to prove it to JALOS through documentation.

www.MotoTribology.com - JASO Explained PART 1: 4-Stroke

^^^ Exactly, that goes for ANY product, not just oil.

As far as the Jaso rating is concerned, they are several ratings,and some don't apply to bikes? Does Rotella for example have reduced friction modifiers ?

I think your missing the point, here in the USA, MANY, MANY, MANY "Motorcycle" oils claim to MEET Jaso standards. However they are not actually CERTIFIED as meeting those standards. They only claim to meet them.
Those oils do not carry the JASO Certification Mark on the bottle.
Same deal with Rotella, on some of their oils they claim to meet Jaso Standards however they are not certified as meeting them and do not carry the Jaso certification mark. But the Rotella does carry some of the highest CERTIFIED API ratings in the country for both Gasoline and Diesel Engines where the others do not.

You can bet if Rotella claims to meet the standard, being a reputable company that carries some of the highest Gas and Diesel certifications I would trust them way more so then an oil with NO CERIFICATIONS of any kind, which is the typical so called "Motorcycle" oil sold here in the USA.

Last edited:

I think your missing the point, here in the USA, MANY, MANY, MANY "Motorcycle" oils claim to MEET Jaso standards. However they are not actually CERTIFIED as meeting those standards. They only claim to meet them.
Those oils do not carry the JASO Certification Mark on the bottle.
Same deal with Rotella, on some of their oils they claim to meet Jaso Standards however they are not certified as meeting them and do not carry the Jaso certification mark. But the Rotella does carry some of the highest CERTIFIED API ratings in the country for both Gasoline and Diesel Engines where the others do not.

You can bet if Rotella claims to meet the standard, being a reputable company that carries some of the highest Gas and Diesel certifications I would trust them way more so then an oil with NO CERIFICATIONS of any kind, which is the typical so called "Motorcycle" oil sold here in the USA.
s
My question was "Does Rotella lack the friction modifiers" ? In addition, So me proof that that most or all bike oil do not meet Jasco standards because it lacks the label.....Maybe the proof is here in the oil analysis forum?

To answer your question.
Rotella oils that claim to meet Jaso standards, do not contain friction modifiers and is safe for your wet clutch bike. Just like any other motorcycle oil meeting those standards.

To answer your question.
Rotella oils that claim to meet Jaso standards, do not contain friction modifiers and is safe for your wet clutch bike. Just like any other motorcycle oil meeting those standards.

I noticed while at the store the Rotella 15/40 T4 does have the claimed Jaso MA. The Rotella 15/40 T5 Synthetic did not have the Jaso rating.....I assume the Rotella T4 is a conventional oil ?

So back in time the motorcycle industry decided to create a new standard for oil suitable/ recommended for use in M/C.
I ask myself why.
Creating a new market for the benefit of the oil companies?
Adding a new level of confusion to using an M/C
or something else I cannot think of!
In the end I decided it is done for a good reason and I am happy to go along with it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back