Caliper Slide Pin Accordion Boots

How do you replace those? They seem to be attached to the caliper bracket somehow. Anyway, I tore one today. I need to replace it.

General Motors Buick LeSabre. 2000 thru 2005 model years.

How often do you grease these? If I ever get a lift I'm going to do them every 6 months. They're always seized up come brake job time

How often do you grease these?
I think it really depends on usage (??). You don't "grease" the boots, by the way, you lightly grease the slide pins. Too much can lead to issues. The boots are only for sealing the slide pins and bores.

They're always seized up come brake job time
What lubrication are you using ? I've quit using Syl-Glyde for slide pins. It turned into a tacky glue more than once.

I think it really depends on usage (??). You don't "grease" the boots, by the way, you lightly grease the slide pins. Too much can lead to issues. The boots are only for sealing the slide pins and bores.

What lubrication are you using ? I've quit using Syl-Glyde for slide pins. It turned into a tacky glue more than once.
Whatever is in those packets at the auto parts store that they sell when you buy pads

My brakes are good for probably 3 or 4 years. You can't expect them to stay lubed that long imo EDIT: The pads last that long. Funny all this time I was blaming something dragging on my trailer. If I had to guess, they probably start sticking after a couple years.

@Hall I understand that. I asked about some lube that has been tried and tested for years.
Did CRC Silaramic is ok for both caliper slide pins and brake pads?

What's difference between
and

My brakes are good for probably 3 or 4 years.
Some people - very few I'd estimate - "service" theirs every 6 months or once a year. I try and do it once a year but sometimes it just doesn't happen. At first, I blamed it on some "old" Sil-Glyde so I bought a new tube and it did it as well. Others have seen it happen too. If it works for you, keep using it, by all means !

Did CRC Silaramic is ok for both caliper slide pins and brake pads?
Never used it so I can't comment. I'm sure someone has used it and can advise though.

Some people - very few I'd estimate - "service" theirs every 6 months or once a year. I try and do it once a year but sometimes it just doesn't happen. At first, I blamed it on some "old" Sil-Glyde so I bought a new tube and it did it as well. Others have seen it happen too. If it works for you, keep using it, by all means !

Never used it so I can't comment. I'm sure someone has used it and can advise though.

I bet it's 50/50 on the pins getting greased come replacement time

Back