California

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Los Gatos, which is part of Silicon Valley. The valley is the most culturally divergent, wonderful place in the world.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Y'all:

San Francisco (AKA "The City") is a remarkable city - both good and bad. I was on the 30th floor of Embarcadero #4 during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Briefly stated, that was a bit wild and hair raising.

But one thing about Cali, where can you do things like this, and do them 340 days a year? This is me on my Campagnolo Record equipped Seven Axiom road bike on a section of Peachy Canyon Road near our house. Year round, I ride this road about 5 days a week. There aren't many places in the World where you can do something like this. And not just because of the weather. The Santa Lucia range has a network of fantastic roads like these, many with miles long climbs of 10%, and short spikes of 20%+. Pant, pant, gasp, gasp! :))

Cheers,

Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEkOnA2HSbk

I don't think anyone has any complaints about the weather or terrain in CA.. it's literally everything else that seems to be managed in such a way as to be screaming "move away! you shouldn't be living here!" that is a real problem.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
I live in Los Gatos, which is part of Silicon Valley. The valley is the most culturally divergent, wonderful place in the world.

I keep meaning to head up that way to Los Gatos, home of AJ Allmendinger, and Elk Grove, home of Kyle Larson and Rico Abreu. You guys have some awesome dirt tracks up there.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I don't think anyone has any complaints about the weather or terrain in CA.. it's literally everything else that seems to be managed in such a way as to be screaming "move away! you shouldn't be living here!" that is a real problem.

I hear you on that. I'm originally from Los Gatos and worked as a systems engineer in Silicon Valley my entire 28 year career. in 2002 we moved to the Central Coast, where I worked remotely for several years. It's a different world here in the Central Coast. Whenever I'm up in the Bay Area I cannot wait to get out of there. And that's coming from someone who lived there for the first 50 years of their life.

Scott

Yeah Im in San Jose all week for work. Got into SJC a few hours ago.
Not happy they sent me here, but what can ya do.
Only good thing is being able to go to in-n-out burger tonight. Haven't had that in over a year, so that was a nice treat.
I'd have to get paid at least 1 bitcoin per day to live here.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You haven't really experienced California driving until you've been creeping along in traffic and had a motorcycle blast by your driver's door splitting the lanes... legally.

Daughter lived in Ca for 8 years, SD, SF, LA, and could not wait to get out. Neat place to visit but...

They do that often in rush hour by me, but illegally.

Has it begun to occur to anybody that maybe, just maybe, we have enough people on this planet and that we're all putting out too much dirt and refuse?

Heavy question, I know.

Been to SanFran several times and wasn't offended by anything (filth, bums etc.) so I gotta go back and see.

Remember: 25% of USA homeless are in Cali (another cutesy nickname I despise).

California has a hepatitis outbreak due to all the homeless people.

Lax laws encourage homelessness in certain areas of California. Many cops don't even bother to get involved trying to enforce laws.

I lived in California for 16 years, 1996-2012, Northern and Southern. The weather and geography are second to none. Unfortunately, just about everything else has become less desirable. There are certainly still decent spots that an average person with good income can live, but they are getting hard to find. If you make a lot of money, you're good for right now. The income tax, property tax(for recent acquisitions), and sales tax(just to mention some) are really high. When you visit there(as opposed to living there), you don't see the bad stuff as much. Things like environmental regulations and the impact of massive illegal immigration are something to consider also. Lots of other recent laws, that other places don't have, can impact daily life, also.

We visited my brother this summer. He owns a Italian winery on Apple Hill above Placerville. We had a good time(went to SF for a day), but I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
I really miss California for what it was, but it is not that way anymore. That last couple of years we lived there, we started talking about leaving. One thing that always stuck in my head was the movie trilogy "Back to the Future". The Michael J. Fox character lived in a housing development that was new in 1955, a nice suburb in 1985, and a [censored] in 2015. We lived in a nice place(Chino Hills) when we moved. But, the way things were going, I could see the BTTF scenario happening. And I didn't want to be stuck there, in my 60's or 70's, and have a hard time moving. It is too bad, but that's the way it is. I have friends that have lived there their whole lives, and want to leave desperately, but have immediate and extended family there. I think more people would leave, but it is kind of the lobster in the boiling pot syndrome. And I know lots of other places in the U.S. have changed for the worse, but you have to hedge your bets.

Love the geographic diversity of the state, so many amazing things. The human diversity don't care about one way or the other. Biggest problem for me is just too many people everywhere, all the time.

Other than a year-and-a-half in Utah and a year-and-a-half in Okinawa, I spent my first 32 years in California. I still love the place but there is no way I could ever become a resident again. If you get out of the LA and Bay Area urban areas there is a lot of beauty in the state. No way I would be willing to pay the incredibly high taxes or put up with the totalitarian groupthink that goes on in the state government again.

California has a per capita GDP about 50% higher than your state, more for mine. That counts for something. It's also pretty much the seat of learning in the world.

For that I could put up with the pinkos.

Don't like crowds or driving on crowded freeways, but that's just me.

The brain power, innovation, and creativity is California. We do a brain drain across the globe for Silicon Valley and other areas. I hope nothing gets mucked up with using the world’s best talent working/living there and other areas of US.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The brain power, innovation, and creativity is California. We do a brain drain across the globe for Silicon Valley and other areas. I hope nothing gets mucked up with using the world’s best talent working/living there and other areas of US.

No doubt California has the brightest engineers.

In the 60s and early 70s, California was in the top 5 states in secondary education. Now it's around 41. How much longer do you think it will be an intellectual mecca?

Nick, not to be argumentative, and not disagreeing with CAs high rank, but I'm not sure I trust methodology that lists Florida and Utah as the top 2 states in the Union for higher education. And you surely are aware of the problems that have recently surfaced in the University of California' system
Of course they arguably have the top two schools in the nation in Cal Tech and Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back