Calif. Car Duster longevity

Not sure if it is time to retire my 18 year old California Car Duster. What do you guys think?

Dust 1.jpg

Dust 2.jpg

Always wanted to get one but life happens. My vehicle has a low top and would be great for dusting that.

The one I use all the time is still red and works great but I have a new one ready for when I need it.

Have three of those, about 15 yrs old, work great just shake them out and you're good to go. Saw a guy using one to scrub the bird droppings off his paint. :eek:

Akin to the Kozak Magic Cloth, no? There was a distinctive camel on the bag.

Nobody has ever described either product beyond the words, "works great". DGMW, I'm happy to hear it.

I've got one about 20 yrs old as well as a new one. The old one seems better than the new one. I think the wax treatment on the fibers may wear out but the way it works still seems fine. I know it is against logic to dust off a car dry because dust is really abrasive BUT i've never gotten even a spider scratch from using it. I only use it on light dust, would not consider heavy dust or dirt that would do harm I am sure.

I've got one about 20 yrs old as well as a new one. The old one seems better than the new one. I think the wax treatment on the fibers may wear out but the way it works still seems fine. I know it is against logic to dust off a car dry because dust is really abrasive BUT i've never gotten even a spider scratch from using it. I only use it on light dust, would not consider heavy dust or dirt that would do harm I am sure.
Same here. I've never noticed any scratches or other marks from mine but I use it only very sparingly (and as lightly as possible.

I think mine's getting close to 20 years old also.

I also have their small version meant for car interiors. It's super handy!

Same here. I've never noticed any scratches or other marks from mine but I use it only very sparingly (and as lightly as possible.

I think mine's getting close to 20 years old also.

I also have their small version meant for car interiors. It's super handy!
I suppose you have not examined your paint under good lighting before, eh? It probably looks like this:

1705941516043.jpg

Source: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/86235-best-light-spot-swirl-marks.html

Just like every other car on the road, you will never eliminate all those micro scratches no matter how careful you are with the paint, using my duster the paint still looks great, not a show car just a daily driver, and I have seen people using them on their cars at car shows. ;)

Just like every other car on the road, you will never eliminate all those micro scratches no matter how careful you are with the paint, using my duster the paint still looks great, not a show car just a daily driver, and I have seen people using them on their cars at car shows. ;)
Actually, it is definitely possible to prevent most swirls with just a bit of care during the wash process….and also by not using California Dusters.

I suppose you have not examined your paint under good lighting before, eh? It probably looks like this:

View attachment 199823
Source: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/86235-best-light-spot-swirl-marks.html
No, not even my black 87 GN do I have spiders or micro scratches. I am a OCD detailer lol - BUT to your point I do agree its a bad idea in general. I was not clear in that I don't use it often and I don't use it on my daily drivers. I just use it to lightly remove minimal dust when I remove a car cover off my classics before putting the cover back on. These cars are never dirty so I wipe so as to not have anything on the surface between the car and cover. I also always wipe down with a quick wax detailer before putting covers back on. That is why I don't have issues with my paint.

Not sure if it is time to retire my 18 year old California Car Duster. What do you guys think?

View attachment 199551

View attachment 199552
I have had mine since 2002..It has the wooden handle... It does not look as dark as your but is very close...Still use it and it still works fine...I just shake it before I use it... The original directions say that it gets better over time as does not recommend washing them...

Back