Cabin filter airflow direction question

2012 Corolla, most of the cabin filters I've used I've installed with the air flow direction arrow pointed down. I picked up a microgard cabin filter and it says install with the arrow up, the instructions are toyota specific with pictures. I went ahead and installed with arrow pointed up. Just confusing.

Or the documentation is wrong? I would point it down...
Good luck.
The stock toyota cabin filters are installed with the arrow up, it's in the owner's manual. The microgard is the first after market one I've seen that's says to install with arrow up, also the microgard dosen't say "airflow" next to the arrow like other filters.

Here's a pic of the old one, 5 years 20,000 miles.

Attachments

• 16256275157653467226629948718884.jpg
    16256275157653467226629948718884.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 128
Here's how I put the filter.

Attachments

• 16256984581412248709342433680776.jpg
    16256984581412248709342433680776.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 16256985166598479072346846000515.jpg
    16256985166598479072346846000515.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 272
Looks like you installed it correctly. Up means up. This is all very confusing because most manufacturers say to install according to airflow, which would be down. Seems like there should be an industry standard on arrow direction for cabin filters but what do I know.

Is this a serious question?? Air comes from outside of the car and flows IN. Which way should the arrow point? And in the end, other than a carbon filter, It doesn’t matter. Sheesh

The arrow will come with 2 type of wording, one will just say up and the other will say airflow. For the first one, it means just show which side need to be up (does not refer to airflow), and the second one will refer what the airflow to be (typically will be downward to the evaporator). So no need to be confused, just see which word is printed on your cabin filter.

Wait this is funny....the manufacture of the filter instructs how to install their product and some of you are saying that the manufacture is wrong. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
So why would the OP ever contact the manufacture and confirm the installation instruction or return it for one that meets everyones method of how every cabin filter should be installed! :cool:

Wait this is funny....the manufacture of the filter instructs how to install their product and some of you are saying that the manufacture is wrong. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
So why would the OP ever contact the manufacture and confirm the installation instruction or return it for one that meets everyones method of how every cabin filter should be installed! :cool:
Let me tell you about arrows and instruction and the logic here about the direction of flow. I dropped a product I engineered with a hand painted RED arrow indicating the direction of air flow. With a warning installing it incorrectly could damage the valve and may cause engine problems. After first replacing destroyed incorrectly installed valves from several DIY and even 3 service shops and several courtesy warranties valves because of installation error both myself and my marketer agreed most people can not follow simple instructions. I mean how hard can it be to follow the manufactures instructions . So I completely stopped manufacturing them and pulled them from my line of other performance parts .

Is this a serious question?? Air comes from outside of the car and flows IN. Which way should the arrow point? And in the end, other than a carbon filter, It doesn’t matter. Sheesh
Some cabin filter containment boxes will only fit correctly in one direction. Unfortunately many think it does not matter and will install them in anyway not realizing they are not actually sealing as designed. Or assuming what the arrow means regarding installation.

So yes and arrow may be indicating to top of the filter and not the airflow. Another example of redesign the installation instructions .

Back