Buying used vehicle's with over 200k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've dropped about $2k in maintenance in parts for my 13 year old, 215k car in the last month. Driveshaft, shocks/struts, two fuel injectors, cleaned the leaves out of the blower motor, and a UOA.

To replace the car for a newer version of the same thing would run at least $30k. So why bother? As long as my e90 is sound - and it seems to be - it makes sense to keep it going and not let it decline. Next project: replace the sandblasted and cracked front bumper and refinish the headlights!

Last edited:
It depends on the brand of vehicle whether it would be acceptable to purchase with over 200000 miles. You would then need to check the maintenance history. My 2003 Tacoma I just now replaced all the shocks. In 17 years of owning that truck I have paid about $865 in parts that needed to be replaced in that time frame. That includes, shocks, radiator, charcoal canister, o2 sensors, steering rack bushings ($25) and another recirculating valve for emissions. Naturally I have replaced normal wear items such as belts, brakes, batteries, tires, oil, etc. One can say shocks and o2 are normal replacement items. I am still on the original water pump and will change it out probably within the next 8 months or so. I will probably replace u-joints and carrier bearing this year.

As a vehicle ages the cost of maintaining it goes up. If you are not mechanically inclined I would say older vehicles become more of a liability and should be replaced especially a designated daily driver.

Most cars up north by me are pretty much close to life support after 200K. The roads are horrible wearing down the suspensions and salted so that some rust will be present no matter how diligent you are at keeping it at bay.

Any car that has not been in a huge wreck can be kept going if you spend the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back