Burning oil - Acura TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again for all the advice. Much more productive than the guys over on Azine.

I think I'm going to continue with the Restore/Conventional oil route since my mechanic can't get me in until October 9th. That shop is in high demand most of the time. They have a pretty good reputation. I haven't had to go much since I haven't had any major problems since my 2004 Altima (which had all sorts of problems). Since I've gone Honda I literally haven't had anything but routine maintenance, timing belts and valve adjustments which I can handle.

I'm certainly concerned about the Restore causing increased wear. Having microparticles of heavy metals like lead doesn't sound appeasing. However, I don't have much to lose. And it has pretty good reviews from a lot of folks. Also, I've noticed this week, as I've been keeping an eye on that cylinder, that it has reduced carbon buildup on the piston head. I can see some of the head surface now (mostly the peripheral edges, and I've only been able to get it to knock once. I wasn't able to get it to knock at all yesterday and I intentionally kept in in a low gear with the AC on up a pretty long hill going home to heat it up really good. We'll see if that holds.

I know trading in the car might be a good option but I really like this car, and the rest of it is in great condition. The exterior and interior are in really good shape considering the mileage, the AC is ice cold and the transmission is perfect. The transmission is the biggie on these. There are frequent complaints with tach hunting and shudder with this generation of TL and having one with no problems really motivates me to keep it.

And yeah, it might seem surprising to have the short blocks on order for Acura's but the big reason is that 3.7 engine. Acura tried going with a siliconized aluminum liner on that engine, which a lot of other auto manufacturers successfully have, in order to reduce friction. However, apparently they botched it because it seems to have increased wear, either with the rings or liners, which eventually leads to oil consumption. There are guys on Azine that have had their engine replaced once or even twice under warranty and the problem resurfaces 20K miles later or so. That same engine is also in some of the MDX's. It's no wonder they did away with it for the TLX. They didn't use those liners for the 3.5L. But ironically, mine starts burning oil. Go figure. Different issue though. It's not across all cylinders like the 3.7. Just one from faulty rings or something stupid I did without knowing.

edit:

it's a 2012 - 4k is not bad for a re-worked 30k mile motor. If you like the car, that's probably the way to go.

BUT, I don't see an issue either with the $2k job. if boroscope inspection shows no damage to the cylinder walls, I'd just re-ring it. I'd think they could pull the one head and the oil pan, unbolt the rod, and replace the rings from the top, and put it all back. I don't think it would be a bad job if it's on the front bank (I'm not familiar with the access in these - in our gen 1 MDX the rear was more buried).

-m

Last edited:
He explained it in detail and that's exactly what he planned to do. He said removal of the engine isn't necessary but that it is certainly a labor intensive job.

I have the repair on his schedule but I'm still considering the 30K engine. I believe this situation is a fluke, not a widespread issue. And since I would like to keep the car for a while, the 30K engine may be a good investment.

Does it have a VCM engine? If yes, it should be covered under the warranty extension granted under the class action lawsuit settlement.

Your engine exhibits the exact symptoms that caused the lawsuit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Does it have a VCM engine? If yes, it should be covered under the warranty extension granted under the class action lawsuit settlement.

Your engine exhibits the exact symptoms that caused the lawsuit.

The TL never got VCM.

Yeah, luckily the TL didn't get VCM. VCM suuuuuuucks. We have it on our Pilot and I hate it. I'm not an engineer, but based on my knowledge of thermodynamics and physics, there would be almost no efficiency increase with such a system. The parasitic loss of the engine in terms of movement of components (the piston in this case) still occurs, and the power output from the engine to push the car, even at a low throttle, is still the same. Our Pilot gets about the same mileage as any SUV it's size.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
This is on 3.5? Wow :-( Now I am scared. I have the exact same car.

I really wouldn't be too worried. I really think it's just a fluke. Good luck trying to find even one occurrence like mine on the various Honda and Acura forums - single cylinder oil control ring failure. I've literally not heard of one Honda J-series having this problem. I've seen a few with widespread oil consumption, probably due to over revving, wear, poor maintenance or engineering faults (the 3.7L). But not a single cylinder ring failure.

Originally Posted By: RyanL
Originally Posted By: Vikas
This is on 3.5? Wow :-( Now I am scared. I have the exact same car.

I really wouldn't be too worried. I really think it's just a fluke. Good luck trying to find even one occurrence like mine on the various Honda and Acura forums - single cylinder oil control ring failure. I've literally not heard of one Honda J-series having this problem. I've seen a few with widespread oil consumption, probably due to over revving, wear, poor maintenance or engineering faults (the 3.7L). But not a single cylinder ring failure.

Is there a chance the engine dropped a plug on that cylinder at some point? Every failed plug I have seen has been on cylinder #5. Not sure what is up with that.

Sorry, thread resurrection. I just wanted to thank everyone for their input with my little problem. Unfortunately, there was no magic bullet on this one. I had the engine replaced and tore the old one down to see what the heck was going on. Sure enough, broken ring. Not stuck, but straight up broken. Totally weird. But $3500 later I have a 30K mile engine in my 135K mile car so hopefully I'll be good for a long time down the road assuming the transmission doesn't die or something like that (knock on wood).

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Is there a chance the engine dropped a plug on that cylinder at some point? Every failed plug I have seen has been on cylinder #5. Not sure what is up with that.

I'm not sure exactly what that means. The spark plug was in good shape mechanically. Coated in a ton of carbon but not actually damaged. I know there are isolated incidents where spark plugs will come lose in these engines, resulting in the plug shooting out of the block and destroying the coil pack. But that was never the case with me (I check mine every 20K miles or so). And the piston head didn't have any markings or damage.

I tried a new mechanic based on a suggestion from a coworker. His shop specializes in Japanese imports. The lead tech that did the engine swap told me this was literally the first time he's seen a Honda V6 with a broken ring. Lucky me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back