Budget priced mud grips

Any personal reports on budget priced mud grips. Brands you are happy with, traction, self cleaning, wear, driveability on pavement. Brands you would not buy again?

On my Tacoma, I only use MTs 3 months out of the year (hunting season, maybe 2,500 miles). Currently running Achilles Desert Hawk X-MT, very happy with the performance in the mud and snow and the price was very inexpensive. Nearly half the cost of the big name brands. There are usually multiple "off-brand" companies that copy a certain tread pattern so if you like a particular tread you can check other brands. I have had quite a few brands in the past, and the Achilles are as good or better than the big name brands so far. Since you asked but it will probably not be a popular opinion, I will not buy another set of BFG muds , too loud and had a couple unexplained failures.

Any personal reports on budget priced mud grips. Brands you are happy with, traction, self cleaning, wear, driveability on pavement. Brands you would not buy again?
China brands if going dirt cheap (sorry) … there is the Wrangler Authority at Walmart that’s fairly cheap …

Thunderer Trac Grip M/T from Walmart are a good bang for the buck.. same as Mud Claw and other variations of the name. I have a couple of buddies with them seem to do mud and asphalt well.

I have Wild Trail CTX on mine and they are Load Range E, commercial traction and are wearing excellent. They do good in mud and gravel doesnt phase them. About 10K miles with no sign of wear. Not really a true mud tire though..

Another option although not an MT it does great. Thunderer Ranger AT is a very aggressive AT tire, and has the best of both worlds, and it's not a loud tire on the highway either.

Back