budget car battery recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
As stated already, get the cheap Wal-Mart value power. I have run these in several cars and they have lasted 5+ years just fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Walmart only started offering the ValuePower line about 2 years ago.

To the OP: buy the best battery you can afford. You drive the car a lot, so you need something you know will work. If you have an advance auto nearby, they usually have nice coupon codes.

I've been buying the $49 batteries from Rural King, and dropping them in everything.

I have one in the Sierra, one in the Silverado (both are Group 78 Dual terminal - $49), one in the '52 Chevy DeLuxe (not sure which size).

I also had one of the $49 Group 78 DT's in the V-10 Ford motorhome. Cranked that V-10 over just fine. (The proper Group 65 battery was $10 more, and I like the versatility of the DT units better for swapping between vehicles if necessary).

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You don’t live in the heat, so batteries last a long time regardless.

The $49 Walmart battery, if available in your size, would work great.

I’ve got them in 2 cars, no issues so far.

How long have you had those $49 batteries?
11 months in the Camry and 14 months in the Trailblazer. Batteries don’t last longer than 3 years here.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
As stated already, get the cheap Wal-Mart value power. I have run these in several cars and they have lasted 5+ years just fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Walmart only started offering the ValuePower line about 2 years ago.

To the OP: buy the best battery you can afford. You drive the car a lot, so you need something you know will work. If you have an advance auto nearby, they usually have nice coupon codes.

prior to the value power, Wal-Mart sold a cheap battery about the same cost under a different name. I assumed it was the same deal but I could be wrong.

Exide= Mexide, hecho en Mexico

I avoid JCI batteries and got a Deka battery from my local Auto Value store for my XJ for $100.

I'm just not seeing how the cost of the battery correlates to the value of the vehicle. I'd put the same battery into a new car that I'd put into a beater. The battery doesn't know and it's doing the same function.

That said, I'd put one of those Walmart batteries in a new car. After reading all these "what is the best battery?" threads, nothing stands out. I guess they're all the same and it wouldn't take much to convince batteries are all the same and the extra cost between them is just an insurance premium to get the longer warranty.

Yep....we definitely need a separate forum topic just for batteries. That way we can keep these battery fights in another room. Lol
28.gif
07.gif

Originally Posted By: Leo99
After reading all these "what is the best battery?" threads, nothing stands out. I guess they're all the same and it wouldn't take much to convince batteries are all the same and the extra cost between them is just an insurance premium to get the longer warranty.

Exactly. A battery is a battery. They're a basic necessity for every car to work. They either work or they don't. It's not like a phone or article of clothing that you look at and interact with every day.

People that swear by a battery brand probably believe an Exxon and Valero gas station at the same intersection get their fuel from different suppliers. Here's another shocker. Your Apple, Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba or Lenovo computer were all made in the same Chinese factory with mostly the same components. Branding is a powerful marketing tool.

Last edited:
There's certainly some truth to what you've stated here.

The common manufacturer of Duralast Gold battery and Autocraft batteries is an example of what you are talking about here. And that is very true indeed.

However, there are some very legitimate and strong brands that do stand out amongst the crowd. The X2 made by Northstar is not just like any other random battery. It has a 5 yr free replacement warranty, has more CCA, more reserve capacity, and weighs much more than their competitors batteries. Northstar's own batteries and Odyssey are other batteries that are not the same as a random Autocraft, Duralast and or Wally World battery. Lifeline and Trojan are others that are in this same exceptionally strong battery category. Yes, these batteries are over $250 typically. But these brands are truly a step above in terms of long term performance.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
Might try an Exide from Rural King but wonder if they are made in USA or not.

I've had one in the Matrix for 5 years and is going strong per recent battery tests. I did get some build up on the positive terminal that was solved with the NOCO battery treatment service at Walmart TLE for $3.50. Not only do they clean and apply protectant but also install the felt washers. Topped it off last year with distilled water.

I was going to replace it when the time comes with the Value one at Walmart but have read some mixed reviews on it. So may get another RK one.

Sure, those are the exceptions. Those are extremely low volume sellers, like Bentleys and Lamborghinis.

I'm talking about the run of the mill units that 98% of consumers choose.

Their volume might be a bit higher than one would first think. And far more higher percentage than people who own Lamborghinis. Especially with today's vehicles having more and more electronic demands these high end batteries will continue to gain market share.
I think that you are correct that it is a very high percentage of people using the regular ones. I would say 90-95%. Which is still an overwhelming majority of people out there.

Last edited:
I worked at AutoZone in 2007 and again in 2014. About 1.5 years cumulatively in half a dozen different stores in 2 states. I sold hundreds and hundreds of batteries. I think I sold maybe 5 optimas in that time frame, let alone did I get anyone asking for a $300 Odyssey. In fact, I only sold a few of our house brand AGM units. When people buy a battery, they almost always need it immediately. Those high end batteries are small niche products. There's no way they have 5-10% of the market share.

Newer cars use more power, but batteries haven't changed at all in 100 years, so they get replaced more often. My sonata is the worst offender. The alternator has a stupid clutch that disengages under high engine load. It needs a battery every 28 months like clockwork.

Went to Walmart this evening and got an EverStart Maxx for my Cruze. $119 out the door which I didn't think was too terrible. 5 year warranty with 3 year replacement. The next model down from it was only $2 cheaper. Maybe could have gotten something cheaper elsewhere to get this car by another year or two but my spare vehicle is a thirsty GMC Sierra so I had to get something quick to avoid any more 140 mile round trips in the truck.

Thanks to all for the input.

I will say that I have been surprised to read about so many reviews for some of those batteries online. Regular cats showing up at AZ, AAP or O Reilly's are not who I am thinking of either... That's obviously correct. But there's more demand than I would have thought for those high end batteries. Thinking outside of just the car side of the equation now those high end batteries are much more prevalent and in use in those applications.

Having said that... I am a regular cat too. I got my Autocraft Gold battery from AAP for $106 plus tax.

Last edited:
I am having really good luck with Walmart Everstart.
Better luck than with AutoZone for alot less.
No issues and the heat in Florida is a killer but the one Everstart is over 5 years and other is 4 years starting V8 engines.

Quite doggone good in your area of the country to get that kind of life out of those batteries. The Wally World batteries at my store are now supplied by East Penn. I have to say that for my lady's Camry that I may well go there if they continue to have batteries made by East Penn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back