Broken vavle stem with TPMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
A month ago, I was driving up the back side of the Sierra's in Nevada in the middle of nowhere between Mercury and Beatty. I got a notice on my dash something was wrong with my tires. Called up the TPMS display, and watched the pressure of one tire go from 24 to 22 to 20 in the time it takes me to type this. Found a safe spot to pull over and got stopped with the tire still partly inflated. Within 40 seconds, it was flat. I believed like you before grampi, now I'm a believer in the system. Got me stopped in a safe spot after a tire was punctured, no fuss, no drama.

I had a similar situation with my Impala. I was driving around town and the car alerted me to which tire it was. I stopped and sure enough there was a screw in the outer part of the rear tire. If the car hadn't alerted me, I would have got on the freeway for several miles without knowing. Mine was a fairly slow leak, but nevertheless . . .

Of course the tire wasn't patch able, so I had to buy a new tire. For me the relative inexpensive of a new valve stem is well worth it.

With that being said - old habits die hard and I still check all my tires at least once a month with one of my Accu-tire digital gauges. FWIW, the digital gauge and the TMPS are usually within .5 of each other.

Last edited:
Safety for the passengers. Right. That must account for all the seat belts, TPMSs and air bags in school buses.
And puh-leeze, don't talk about expense when it comes to school kids. MA spent over a billion (with a B) bucks on a high school.
My local gov't just spent hundreds of millions renovating a school. After they lost over a hundred million on a bond swap.
It's money grab all the way.

Go back to critic's thread about replacing one strut. How are you going to find a shop willing to do that potentially sketchy work with all the liabilities attached? They'd rather turn work away. If everyone does it, it looks like the Mafia... though they might just have the same insurance company.

My Canadian 1er does not have sensors, but instead uses a passive system with the ABS.

I actually wish I had the sensor type system. With coding can do this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back