Broken IPhone Screen

Just my experience with Verizon, but unless he upgrades to an iPhone 14 (maybe a 13), VZW won't give him much at all for that model. They really push the latest and greatest, at least when they have incentives they can offer (trade-in value). If he wanted a 12, for example, they'd probably offer him $50-75. The fact that it has a broken screen will change that too though.
Swappa quotes about $230 for that "old" iPhone but undamaged. Apples keep their value

You're aiming for the 15?

How broken are we talking about? That's only 6 months away.
yep, I read to get the mid range 15. Its got great battery life and the uptown screen of the big boy. The 10xr functions normally other than the brokrn screen

yep, I read to get the mid range 15. Its got great battery life and the uptown screen of the big boy. The 10xr functions normally other than the brokrn screen

Where I was going was, is the screen so broken that it's not usable or difficult/dangerous to use? If it's just annoying and doesn't affect the general usage or risk cutting a finger, just let it ride, IMO

Greetings-
Broke the screen on my iPhone, even with screen protector- broke at the notch. Its an old 10XR. Generic replacement service wants $90 to replace. Apple wants $200. Amazon diy kits are about $23. Any luck with the kits?
I had "You break I fix" replace the screen on an iPhone. It was a generic and didn't fit like original. Had a battery replaced there and it started swelling within a year. Nobody would take it as a trade. Apple wants you to buy a new iPhone. You can probably get some more use out of it with a generic screen.

Apple doesn’t have the XR listed, but there is now a DIY shop with genuine Apple parts. There’s a trade in value for return of the broken part. The big deal (besides OEM parts) is that it gets access to Apple to reset the notice that says than an unauthorized part has been installed. Even installation of an OEM salvage part will give that message.

Swappa quotes about $230 for that "old" iPhone but undamaged. Apples keep their value
Yeah, I'm referring to undamaged. In your case, and I've done this myself, I'll sell it privately before I take Verizon's measly trade-in offer.

I traded in my iPhone 8 for a 12 when the 13 was the newest model. They "gave" me over $600 (actually ends up being $25/off the lease charge for the new phone over 24 months or something).

That's odd.... I tried their site's dropdown for battery and camera repair too and no XR is listed.

It's not listed and I'm sure it's deliberate. It's only for iPhone 12/13 models and the 3rd gen iPhone SE. I think the iPhone 14 models will eventually be added, but at this point I don't think they'll add any of the X models even though Apple Stores and their authorized repair providers can fix those. The 3rd gen SE should have the same display as the 2nd gen SE, but I believe they require the serial number of the damaged device and the reset of any warning messages will only be for that specific device.

I recalll there was a 10, 10xr, 10xs, and 10xr max
Nope, there was a X by itself (2017, "10" year anniversary of iPhone release), then the following year it was XS / XS Max / XR in 2018. Then the standard numbered resumed in 2019 with the 11. They skipped the 9 so Apple seemed kinda confused for a couple years there. There also wasn't an iPhone 2 or 3. The "3G" was actually for 3G network connectivity. 😂

It's not listed and I'm sure it's deliberate.
Actually, I'll bet when they list the "X" they mean it to cover the X, XS, XS Max, and XR as well. They're considered the same "family". They don't list any "Pro" or "Max" models either, they're just lumped in with the 11 or 12 and so on.

Actually, I'll bet when they list the "X" they mean it to cover the X, XS, XS Max, and XR as well. They're considered the same "family". They don't list any "Pro" or "Max" models either, they're just lumped in with the 11 or 12 and so on.

I mean Apple has deliberately decided that they would only start with the iPhone 12/13 families in terms of self-service repair parts. I doubt the X series will ever be covered.

good idea
I did that with my iPhone se. It was cheaper to buy an icloud locked but otherwise functional phone and swap the screen. Plus i was able to get the phone in a different color that i looked better and just swap my motherboard over.

I mean Apple has deliberately decided that they would only start with the iPhone 12/13 families in terms of self-service repair parts. I doubt the X series will ever be covered.

The self-service program is designed to satisfy the letter of the law, not the spirit. Going forward, not back.

RTR zealots will still argue for some utopia where every component can be swapped like a LEGO brick, but that's never going to be feasible for a small, thin device that is designed to be water resistant, aimed at a broader market that in the past was happy to leave the "12:00" perpetually flashing on their VCRs, never mind performing surgery on their smart phones.

At this point, with a soon-to-be five year old model, I doubt the $200 fee does anything more than cover a swap for a white-box refurb unit, not any sort of actual repair.

The self-service program is designed to satisfy the letter of the law, not the spirit. Going forward, not back.

RTR zealots will still argue for some utopia where every component can be swapped like a LEGO brick, but that's never going to be feasible for a small, thin device that is designed to be water resistant, aimed at a broader market that in the past was happy to leave the "12:00" perpetually flashing on their VCRs, never mind performing surgery on their smart phones.

At this point, with a soon-to-be five year old model, I doubt the $200 fee does anything more than cover a swap for a white-box refurb unit, not any sort of actual repair.

I don't necessarily get what Apple does. I used to be a fairly frequent contributor on the discussion forums that Apple has. But many they can be really intolerant of anyone mentioning DIY repair. Heck - once I pointed to public testimony by an Apple exec on one of their semi-public (requires a certain level and generally given a certain leash on discussions) forums and I got some notice that it wasn't appropriate to discuss such things. Heck - once I was banned for an entire year for talking about something regarding DIY repair.

I don't know if they do the actual repair or not, although I think they might still have certain parts and replacing a display unit on an iPhone X isn't much different than a 14.

I just got a unit replacement (under warranty) for an iPad mini 6 yesterday. It wouldn't charge with any USB-A to USB-C cable and it wouldn't connect to any computer (even with USB-C). But with an iPad model, they simply don't do repairs on site. I hear that the procedure is just way to involved to do it in a store. For the most part I don't think they ever keep the case unless it's a return during the 14 day return period. The one I got looked cosmetically pristine. It was either new or they assembled a new case/display/battery with the logic board.

If that's the case, the OP should jump at that option. Apple refurbs include a NEW battery too.

Back