Briggs carburetor problem/question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took off and cleaned a 20 year old carburetor on a 10.5 hp Briggs engine. It was very dirty and I thought I had done a good job but after putting it back on it appears the float/needle mechanism is not working properly to stop the flow of gas. Instead of purchasing the parts and trying to fix, which I admit might be as simple as replacing the valve and valve seat, I just went ahead and ordered a new carburetor for it. I didn't mind spending the extra money, so that is not really an issue.

My problem is that when it arrived, the fuel nozzle that the fuel line attaches to is pointing in the wrong direction 180 degrees. This is not my carburetor in the picture, but it illustrates the situation. I need the fuel nozzle to be turned the opposite direction. Can I take a pair of pliars and try to gently turn the platic part around? Any other ideas? I don't want to run the fuel line past the carburetor and try to reverse the direction of it back into the nozzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what the green and yellow outline boxes are there for? I think you mean the fuel inlet nipple, not nozzle. Does the fuel inlet nipple come out far enough that you can unscrew it? If its threaded NPT, then its going to be tight where it is. You may be able to unscrew it, wrap with some teflon tape and see if it tightens up pointing the direction you want. Or maybe buy a brass elbow and see if it will tighten up where you want. Or buy a straight fuel inlet nipple and have the fuel line come straight out.

Keep in mind the carb is made of white metal (very weak) and you said the fuel inlet nipple is made of plastic. So I would not try and move the fuel inlet nipple by tightening further.

Last edited:
Yeah, those boxes are nothing, I didn't notice them when I was trying to find a picture showing the fuel connector.

The connector piece looks like this. The plastic white part is pressed onto a brass(?) tube that is ribbed (I know that from a previous experience with one), and then the smooth part of the brass part is pressed into the carburetor.

692317692317.jpg

My previous experience was with one in which the white part was so old and brittle it started leaking. I was nervous about having to remove the brass part from the carburetor and press in a new one, so I carefully removed the white plastic part without removing the brass fitting from the carburetor by twisting and prying on it. I then purchased a new fitting (picture), and carefully removed the plastic part by putting the brass part in a vice and carefully prying straight up on the plastic with 2 flat head screwdrivers. It wasn't easy but I got the plastic off without damaging it. I then gently tapped the plastic onto the old fitting still in the carburetor with a small hammer. It worked and ran fine with no leaks for the last 3 years. By the way, the process I just described I got from a mower message board, it wasn't my idea.

I guess I could do that again, although I really, really don't want to try to get the plastic part off of a new carburetor and risk damaging the brass inlet part or something else. I was able to get the old one off that I described in large part because it was so old and was not tight at all on the brass fitting. The new one that I put in a vice was considerably tighter and was not easy to get the plastic off, and I would not like to try that again while still attached to the carburetor. I also don't want to just go ahead and try to turn the plastic part on the brass fitting if it doesn't seem advisable.

Last edited:
I would try and turn it with my fingers and see how that goes. But not use any tool.

(Self limiting torque wrench, unless you are Superman, man of steel.)

Last edited:
Unless it is not installed fully, you will not be able to turn it with fingers, and if you turn it with a wrench there is the definite probability that it will leak after you get it to the right position. (unless you are really lucky) The proper carb for the engine would have the inlet pointed in the correct direction, so either it was assembled wrong, or it is the wrong carb.

Let me have the numbers off the engine and I will figure it out for you.

Give me the Model, Type, and Code numbers. I need to look at an IPL.

The engine numbers are:

257707-0124-01 92050131, 10.5 HP I/C engine.

The carburetor I ordered and received is Briggs part # 495784.

I looked it up. You got the wrong carburetor. The right carburetor is probably the same thing with the fuel inlet pointed the way you want.

Your carburetor is part # 495784. That carburetor is to be used with date code numbers after 92071900. Your date code number is 92050131.

You need carburetor part # 494881. That carburetor is to be used with date code numbers before 92072000 and to be used on type numbers 0123, 0124, 0127. Your type number is 0124-01.

Carburetor part # 494883 to be used with date code numbers before 92072000
Carburetor part # 495784 to be used with date code numbers after 92011900
Carburetor part # 494881 to be used with date code numbers before 92072000
(with type numbers 0123, 0124, 0127).

Let me send you the IPL and you can see for yourself. PM me your email address.

When you get the IPL, look at reference number 125 and the corresponding part numbers.

There's three different carburetors for that model series depending on the type and code numbers.

I'll send you a service manual too.

Thanks Merkava and everyone for your responses. I sent a PM. Glad I didn't try to mess with the fuel connector position and break something.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back