Which Choke Plate for B&S Replacement Carb

My SIL has a Porter Cable generator powered by a 6HP Briggs & Stratton OHV engine that doesn't start. It sat for many years with the fuel valve open. Rather that trying to clean all the small hidden passages I opted to get a Chinese EBay replacement. I had good luck overall with using these inexpensive carburetors. This carburetor came with two different style choke plates, you have to install one of them. One plate has two large holes the other has two small holes. The plate in the factory carb has a bit smaller holes than the larger holes on one replacement plate. Is it better to use the replacement choke plate with the large holes or the one with the small holes? The carb matched up as the replacement to the original carb. Would it be tougher to trying to start if the plate has larger holes, possibly not blocking enough airflow? Attached are pictures of the original carb and the replacement carb with the two choke plates.
generator orig carb.jpg
generator replacement carb.jpg

My SIL has a Porter Cable generator powered by a 6HP Briggs & Stratton OHV engine that doesn't start. It sat for many years with the fuel valve open. Rather that trying to clean all the small hidden passages I opted to get a Chinese EBay replacement. I had good luck overall with using these inexpensive carburetors. This carburetor came with two different style choke plates, you have to install one of them. One plate has two large holes the other has two small holes. The plate in the factory carb has a bit smaller holes than the larger holes on one replacement plate. Is it better to use the replacement choke plate with the large holes or the one with the small holes? The carb matched up as the replacement to the original carb. Would it be tougher to trying to start if the plate has larger holes, possibly not blocking enough airflow? Attached are pictures of the original carb and the replacement carb with the two choke plates.

The code number in the engine numbers will determine which choke plate to use.

(Model Number) (Space) (Type Number) (Space) (Code Number)

The parts list will tell you which choke plate to use and will list the corresponding code numbers.

If you have the engine number, I can look it up for you. $20 labor fee applies.

Last edited:
Use the one with small holes. If it floods, open the choke a little. The big holed one is probably for regulatory compliance somewhere. You'll get the hang of starting it, if it needs 3/4 choke or all of it.

I ended up choosing the new choke plate with the larger holes, it starts and runs the generator great, especially for a $13 new carburetor :D .

Back