Brand New Truck with 7 Hours of Idle Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hal26
A Bunch...

Then you should know it's not rocket science to break in a factory engine

Pretty much idiot proof

Originally Posted by atikovi
If anything, "I'm gonna run the heck out of it now with regular blasts to redline" is something specifically mentioned in owners manual NOT to do on a brand new car.

Actually, FCA in their manuals specify that WOT runs are beneficial for break in. They mention to avoid redline in low gears. From what other owners of FCA products posted here over the years, it seems to be standard wording for all vehicles sold by FCA. Even my minivan had it.

I took my minivan to redline on my first way home from the dealership. I made sure everything was up to the operating temperature and since it had over 20 miles and 30 hours of run time, I run it hard. I also did compression braking. I changed the factory fill around 600 miles I think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Too bad the OP didn't ASK or check first before signing and driving off the lot!

Well, I did not know my RAM even had a idle meter until later. Lots of things going on during a purchase, from pricing, to financing, warranty choices, learning the about the new vehicle, etc. An idle meter reading is usually not the top topic during a purchase, so its easy to overlook.

all new cars that we've ever owned said easy during break-in period ... no high speed, High rpm or towing, don't go over 55 or 60mph ... which is impossible if you get on a highway and/or freeway!

However , I was watching Ultimate Factories on TV (Discovery channel?) a few weeks ago and it was either a Ferrari or Lamborghini and it was taken straight out of the factory to the race track for testing ... and they were running it hard.

Idling won't damage anything ... A lot of times dealers keep the car running while potential buyers are checking the car and if that stupid timer wasn't there, no one would be talking about it. Glad I don't have any stupid timers ... give me oil temperature and trans fluid temp instead of useless timers!
grin2.gif
my car has oil pres. gauge and I can read 2 trans temps using scangauge but i have no oil temp. gauge. Planning to install one myself. I have an engine runtime clock/timer on another gadget that I use but I never look at it. I know when to change the oil and don't need another stupid timer to worry about
shocked2.gif

It's possible the lot boys were moving vehicles around left it running and forgot. That happened more times than I can count when I sold cars, many idled until they ran out of gas. Some with half a tank or more. Many times they beat the snot of of them too. Unfortunately that's common [at least where I worked] and there is really no way of knowing unless you watch your vehicle come off the car carrier and then stay with it until you take title, which is nearly impossible. If you signed the paperwork and took title and nothing is wrong with the truck good luck getting the dealer to do anything about it. At this point I would find something else to worry about and forget it. I seriously doubt there was any damage, and you do have a new car warranty on it if something does go wrong. Unfortunately the time to check a new vehicle for things like that is before the paperwork is signed.

I have a lot of serious stuff to worry about for sure. I'm really not freaked out about it - just thought it was a mildly interesting topic and wanted a few expert opinions that's all. It probably ain't hurt. Being a BITOGER I was gonna change the oil around 1500 miles anyway. The truck is fantastic. My 2015 Ram Hemi went 8500 miles on its last full Syn oil change and I never had to add a single drop of oil, ever. Stayed exactly on the full mark always. This 2019 is redesigned, roomier, quieter and smooooth riding.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

cold TX nights ... I would worry more about mice & rats getting in there than that stupid timer. lol nice place & cars!

Edit:
Just realized i may have given you a new thing to worry about
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hal26
I have a lot of serious stuff to worry about for sure. I'm really not freaked out about it - just thought it was a mildly interesting topic and wanted a few expert opinions that's all. It probably ain't hurt. Being a BITOGER I was gonna change the oil around 1500 miles anyway. The truck is fantastic. My 2015 Ram Hemi went 8500 miles on its last full Syn oil change and I never had to add a single drop of oil, ever. Stayed exactly on the full mark always. This 2019 is redesigned, roomier, quieter and smooooth riding.
[Linked Image]

This is the Ram Classic version? Or is this the newer 5th generation? If it is the 5th generation how is the AC working? lots of 5th gen owners say the AC isn't cooling well enough when it gets over 90 F. Vent temps run 55-60 F, when the classic Ram and most other vehicles will put out 40 F vent temps at 90 F.

I put issues like this in the this is why automakers give us idiot lights and damped gauges- the average consumer sees something that is normal and decides in their mind something is wrong. Hours of time are then wasted by owners and dealerships for normal items.

Imagine all the vehicles that were delivered without readable hour meters treated exactly the same and in all likelihood zero issues down the road.

As I recall, my F150 had 55 miles on it when I bought it. 4 hours of idle time. Didn't worry me in the least.

Nice truck. I have a '16 RAM LIMITED 4x4. Problem free and I love it. Best interior of all trucks and that new RAM for '19 raised the bar even higher. I am going to wait another year or 2 to be sure all the bugs are worked out then get another Limited or maybe Longhorn. Mine only has 65k miles so I'm in no urgent need.

For what it's worth, In 2012 I leased a 2013 Ford Explorer that had 61 miles but 13 hours of idle time on it when I picked it up. Only had it for 45K miles and 3 years, but it never gave me any issues. Never burned any oil etc.

Last edited:
my ford have a few hours of idle on it when i bought it, and 260 miles since they had to drive it over from another dealer. I wouldn't worry about it. An engine that can't handle idling is a significant problem. The only issue here is we're becoming aware of it via dash meters. Beautiful truck, BTW, enjoy it.

Originally Posted by CKN
This is really bobistheoilguy OCD!

^The key post of this thread. Thought I remember reading on some forum years ago about a guy ordering a new vehicle from the factory. When he comes to pick it up he sees the odometer showing 6 miles and goes ballistic. I paid for a new car, not for one that's been driven. Cancel the deal and give me my deposit back. Don't remember how it turned out, if they gave him a few hundred back or returned the deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back