Brake squeal

Recently bought a 2015 Chevrolet SS with 3000 miles and Brembo brakes all around. I have developed a nasty squeal from the rear when I stop slowly. In searching the internet I learned there was a TSB for this issue back in 15 that stated the squeal might be resolved with a Copper based, anti seize/squeal paste applied the the read of the pads and around the perimeter. I was wondering if something similar is out there rather than going through GM? I tried getting info on TSB PI1496C but can't bring anything up that I can read.

I seriously doubt that GM makes anti seize on it's own. My guess would be a high temp Permatex copper seize.
Maybe this:
Ultracopper6_.jpg

Still expensive though at $8.59 for a 3 oz. tube.
GM might be the better choice.

Or this:

Recently bought a 2015 Chevrolet SS with 3000 miles and Brembo brakes all around. I have developed a nasty squeal from the rear when I stop slowly. In searching the internet I learned there was a TSB for this issue back in 15 that stated the squeal might be resolved with a Copper based, anti seize/squeal paste applied the the read of the pads and around the perimeter. I was wondering if something similar is out there rather than going through GM? I tried getting info on TSB PI1496C but can't bring anything up that I can read.
You might think about getting a subscription to Alldata DIY so that you have access to all TSB's for that vehicle as well as all of the other service information and wiring diagrams that you might need. I don't see why a silicone based brake lube wouldn't work for those areas.

Copper antiseize has been prescribed for a long time. My suspicion is that it’s because the oils in anti-seize do evaporate/dry out over time, and what’s left is some mix of aluminum, moly, graphite, copper, nickel, etc. depending upon formulation. The thing with Aluminum particles in wet conditions is that they oxidize and spall. Think an old aluminum engine that has sat outside for a long time. Then think about a copper pipe that was buried for 60 years. Copper will tarnish but stay inert. Aluminum will shed a white dust that flakes ff constantly when exposed to moisture and cycled.

So my guess is that copper anti seize in the long run will leave you with a copper-graphite mix that has soft, compliant particles, even if the oils are long gone. Aluminum based, which is fine in many locations, could fail in the exposed location in the brake system, spall, make alumina dust, not good…

Go get some copper antiseize and use it. I like Jet Lube and Anti-seize Technology brands…

Reactions: D60
I’m skeptical about always being able to resolve noises, because I chased this topic on a E92 335 BMW. Seems rear brakes squeal after about 15k miles which is frustrating. What cured it is new pads when they’re only 1/3 worn.

Even took it to the dealer at the time and as a courtesy they removed all hardware, cleaned and applied some yellow substance, to no avail.

In other words the noise can be pad to rotor and not necessarily piston to pad backing …

The 2013 up Lexus GS350 F Sport front brakes are notorious for squealing. They come with the outstanding Textar pads which are found on many Porsches, I believe. And Porsche does brakes right; no question.

But they squeal like pigs; it's bad. Lube 'em, do whatever but it comes back shortly. I ended up using the TSB Advics pad; perhaps that the pad used on the non-F Sport model? Still gotta clean and lube them properly and they still squeal a little when cold, but that goes away within a block or so.

I use that black lube that comes in a tub. Not too much!

The 2013 up Lexus GS350 F Sport front brakes are notorious for squealing. They come with the outstanding Textar pads which are found on many Porsches, I believe. And Porsche does brakes right; no question.

But they squeal like pigs; it's bad. Lube 'em, do whatever but it comes back shortly. I ended up using the TSB Advics pad; perhaps that the pad used on the non-F Sport model? Still gotta clean and lube them properly and they still squeal a little when cold, but that goes away within a block or so.

I use that black lube that comes in a tub. Not too much!

Textar is OE on many European applications and they typically exceed R90 specifications. They are my preferred pad where possible but the brake dust is insane. Do they produce a lot of dust on the GS as well? I'm curious if Toyota specified a different compound from Textar

Textar is OE on many European applications and they typically exceed R90 specifications. They are my preferred pad where possible but the brake dust is insane. Do they produce a lot of dust on the GS as well? I'm curious if Toyota specified a different compound from Textar
I had no problem with dust from the Textar pads. They are original equipment on my car. So is the squeal. Hence the TSB.

It isn’t just normal copper paste, it is Molykote CU-7439. I might have some I can send you….need to do some searching.

Back