Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chad8
Originally Posted By: 38sho
Originally Posted By: chad8
hawk hp or similar carbon ferro pads

dude what are you smoking? they are very dusty

go for a ceramic pad

I have them on my taurus. No dust at all. If you don't use them for track days they work well. This is the hp street pads, not the soft track pads. Until u use them , educate thy self.

man you just are happening to be talking to a SHO Taurus fanatic, I've tried many different brake pads on many different SHO's throughout the years I've owned them....

I currently have Hawk HPS pads in the 598 size installed on my 93 SHO, they are dusty as [censored], want pictures? It only took about 3 weeks for me to start noticing how bad the wheel looks compared to using the OEM ford pads.....

I have to agree with those members who recomend Ceramic as I have gone to ceramic pad on all of our daily drivers(DD's). Not only do they dust less, but their dust is less harmfull to aluminum wheels as it won't impregnate into the aluminum causing more damage to the wheels.

I have always found the braking power and pedal feel is at least on par with other friction material and have never experienced fade even when braking hard down hill at highway speeds or during lots of city stop & go traffic driving. I can't answer for "Hard Streed Driving!"

I have been pleased with the lack of any noises anywhere during braking wheather it's a mild squeel or a loud moan, winter cold or summer heat, rain or snow/slush. I just don't hear anymore noises with the ceramic pads. Just smooth braking.

Oh sure, there may be that first thing in the morning(i.e. while backing out of the driveway) that, "mild friction noise"(shh-shh-shh-shh), after the car has been sitting in the rain all night but, that's it! You'll get that noise with any pad. And that noise isn't even as loud as with some other friction materials. And even that noise is gone by your next stop!

Also, Ceramic pads are supposed to be more rotor friendly. For normal everyday type of driving in your normal everyday type vehicle(coupe, sedan, SUV, Mini-van), IMHO, ceramic pads are a much better pad than the semi-metalic. Although, some semi-mets are great, I just don't know which ones they are and everyone has their own opinion...I can't answer for high performance pads as HP pads are a different breed for their intended purpose and there are alot to choose from and it can become confusing.

To the OP -

Another thing to consider: not all ceramic pads are created equal. I think you could find plenty of cheap, low-quality pads with "ceramic" in the name.

After looking around on the internet I narrowed it down to the Akebono or Bendix. There are more reviews of the Akebono ProAct that I could find, but the Bendix was about $10 or $12 less.

Last edited:
Based upon all this input sounds like I'd better pursue ceramic. More money but probably worth it for less dust.

Thanks for all the advice.

I personally use the EBC Redstuff pads on the cars that I take care of where brake dust is not desired (i.e - my girlfriend's Crossfire, and her PT Cruiser).

Just installed on the PT Cruiser this past weekend.
Been on the Crossfire for 2 years.

Fantastic braking power, dust not nearly as visible.
Braking power increases from darn good to fantastic as the pads get hotter (good for mild track use), and yet still work perfectly in the cold and snow.

Dust is lighter in color than the OEM pads were, and not nearly as noticeable on aluminium or chrome rims.

They do squeal for a while after installation during the scrub in process. Takes a while for it to go away, but it does. Just got to get out there and drive the car.

That's my recommendation.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back